Pancake Day - 2008

Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:02 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pancake Day - 2008

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Lemon and sugar.

As kids we had to eat 1 savoury pancake before we got to the lemon and sugar, I think it was some kind of grey mushroom sauce we had to have. Yuk. But I'd be brave and think of the lemon and sugar that was just around the corner
Another vote for lemon and sugar then rolled.

We never had to have a savoury one first though.

I wonder why some of us refer to them as British pancakes when really they are crepes.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the heads-up - maybe I'll actually remember this year and treat the kidlet
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Another vote for lemon and sugar then rolled.

We never had to have a savoury one first though.

I wonder why some of us refer to them as British pancakes when really they are crepes.
My mum didnt make wussy thin crepes. Nor were they the same as the Canadian pancake you get at breakfast. Arent they made with buttermilk?
Basically a good pancake is a thick yorkshire pudding batter with sugar added, and then fry up a few thickish pancakes. The first ones are always duds, the rest great, with a brown lacey pattern on them.
Serve with lemon and sugar, orange and sugar is good too. We used to have the cream from the milk and sugar on ours. Yum
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to annoy the life out of you all and say nothing beats pancakes made with Irish soda Bread flour, a beaten egg, caster sugar and buttermilk

We would put stewed apples into our pancake batter or chopped up Mars Bars for a yummy treat

Tate and lyle syrup or maple syrup or lemon and sugar for topping.

And like Madmac we would keep some and toast them over the next few days

So Happy Pancake Tuesday to you all whatever way you eat em!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think molasses tastes very nice. I would be using pancake syrup or maple syrup if its syrup you want.

I came from Purley, Surrey and we always, always had pancakes (crepe style - not Canadian style) with lemon and sugar. My friend comes from Coventry and she had the same thing. So lemon and sugar seems fairly popular in various parts of England cos that was Steve had too.

My friend says her church puts on a pancake supper, but they are those thick Canadian style pancakes with sausages. So she won't go - she wants lemon and sugar!!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Piff Poff

Out of interest I have lemon and sugar as a rule on my pancakes, anything else is not quite right, however a banana, ice cream, cream and butterscotch sauce is good for a treat. What toppings do you all have?

MMMMMMMM just lemon and sugar for me too, I love them and can never understand why we only have them on Pancake day.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joelsa
MMMMMMMM just lemon and sugar for me too, I love them and can never understand why we only have them on Pancake day.
We eat them through the year, mmmmm lovely
used to do a lot of savoury ones
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

My dad insists on very thin crepes with lemon juice and sugar... the kids all want maple syrup on thicker (more Canadian style) pancakes. So I get to do both but it's a treat all round. Last blow-out before lent - anyone giving anything up? I figure it has to be chocolate. Sob.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:59 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

We went to the local CBC pancake breakfast in aid of "Raising the Roof" http://www.cbc.ca/nl/features/raisingtheroof/ this morning for our pancakes. Cholesterol and Charity all in one convenient package!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice

sugar & lemon and/or tate & lyle syrup here too

however, in celebration of getting my spousal sponsorship approval yesterday we are having ribs'n'chicken with slaw and fries tonight so i suppose i ought to do thicker Canadian-style pancakes with maple syrup instead!

The Wiki provides this information on Pancakes and this on Crepes - just so you know the difference!!

whatever you have - enjoy!!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice

i can't believe the supermarkets here sell so much pancake batter mix and the like! it's only flour, milk & eggs!!!

For 89p Tescos will sell you their own brand pancake mix to which you add 400ml of milk, mix, let settle then pour into prepared frying pan, this makes approx 6 pancakes

and for £1.00 they will sell you Aunt Bessies pancake batter which is ready-prepared and probably makes approx 6 pancakes!

or for £1.09 you can buy 8 large ready-made pancakes that you just wrap in foil and heat in the oven!

Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:44 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Judy - a quick query that I know you'll be able to answer, cos I can't find the info on this site.......how do you get those little tiny messages at the bottom of your main post? Is is something to do with Signature? How do you make it small? I'd appreciate your help............thanks
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

spanglish is a jewel in the roughspanglish is a jewel in the roughspanglish is a jewel in the roughspanglish is a jewel in the roughspanglish is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by veengraham
i never knew of pancakes with lemon and sugar until i moved to England(from France)!
we'd have them with just sugar ,jam or best of all nutella , also savoury version with ham ,cheese etc.......

vee
Neither did I. In Spain, and now in England we have them with Nutella or jam and cream. Not very keen on that lemon and sugar business.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:40 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

lemon and sugar (and a bit of extra melted butter) here too - perhaps with a little sprinkling of Grand Marnier for the grownups... Mmmmmmm
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

iananddave is an unknown quantity at this point

being veggie I had pancakes for lunch today. Some grated emmental cheese with quorn chicken style... yum!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.