British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   P.T. jobs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/p-t-jobs-843393/)

Siouxie Sep 20th 2014 4:57 am

Re: P.T. jobs

Start a blog on technology and gadgets, sell advertising on it.

Buy and sell on Ebay or go to the local charity store and sell the stuff on kijiji.

:D

mandymoochops Sep 20th 2014 5:29 am

Join a local FB buy and sell site and fix cell phone screens. The amount of people that constantly ask" does anone know who fixes screens in XYZ area" never ceases to amaze me.

Shard Sep 20th 2014 6:45 am

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 11411910)
Join a local FB buy and sell site and fix cell phone screens. The amount of people that constantly ask" does anone know who fixes screens in XYZ area" never ceases to amaze me.

Really? Is it that common? How on earth do the screens get damaged. In twenty years of mobile phone usage I've never damaged a screen and only once seen someone else with a damaged screen.

R I C H Sep 20th 2014 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11411935)
Really? Is it that common? How on earth do the screens get damaged. In twenty years of mobile phone usage I've never damaged a screen and only once seen someone else with a damaged screen.

Common enough for cell phone repair businesses to be offering 30 minute turn around for replacement screens.

I dropped my iPhone on my bare foot a couple of weeks ago. The screen shattered.

beckiwoo Sep 20th 2014 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 11412295)

I dropped my iPhone on my bare foot a couple of weeks ago. The screen shattered.

The new one looks like it's even more prone to shattering.

Gozit Sep 20th 2014 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11411935)

I don't know either ...... And i'm a teenager who usually doesn't have his mobile in a case. And I've never shattered my screen. But I do always get the accidental damage protection in case someone else does.

Gozit Sep 20th 2014 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11411902)
Start a blog on technology and gadgets, sell advertising on it.

This is a good one... :) Takes a while for money to trickle in though. But, I am on the computer all day anyways :D

Buy and sell on Ebay or go to the local charity store and sell the stuff on kijiji.

:D
Someone I know does this and makes a huge profit LOL! :D

Shard Sep 20th 2014 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 11412318)
I don't know either ...... And i'm a teenager who usually doesn't have his mobile in a case. And I've never shattered my screen. But I do always get the accidental damage protection in case someone else does.

The accidental damage protection is the biggest scam going. Quit while you are young and save yourself a fortune. Better yet, every time you are offered it, reject it and put the same amount/payment into an RRSP. You can thank me in fifty years.

Gozit Sep 20th 2014 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11412371)
The accidental damage protection is the biggest scam going. Quit while you are young and save yourself a fortune. Better yet, every time you are offered it, reject it and put the same amount/payment into an RRSP. You can thank me in fifty years.

But what do I do if it actually breaks? At that point my only option is to fork out $800 for a new one.

Shard Sep 20th 2014 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 11412404)
But what do I do if it actually breaks? At that point my only option is to fork out $800 for a new one.

How much is the insurance?

Gozit Sep 20th 2014 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11412410)
How much is the insurance?

$99. It lasts for 2 years, and if I break it, it costs $50 to replace it and I can do it twice. The max it could cost me is $200. I've never had to claim against it. The one time I did (stupid kid knocked it out of my hand at a fair), I fudged a problem with the Wi-Fi antenna so I wouldn't have to pay the $50. I never keep a phone longer than 7-12 months so its enough.

dbd33 Sep 21st 2014 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11409811)
Sperm bank, at $25 a pop... that's $300 a day for a teenager.

A cautionary tale: Medical Student Masturbates To Death At Sperm Bank | Geekologie

SchnookoLoly Sep 22nd 2014 1:25 am

In the UK, my husband and I had a paid bank account that had phone insurance included as one of the benefits. We paid 12 quid a month for a joint account, and that covered 2 phones each with a 25quid deductible. Husband had his iPhone 3GS stolen (so that was a few years ago); the bank couldn't replace it as the phone wasn't available anymore, so he got a cheque for 600quid to cover the cost. A year later he left his phone in a cab; again, had the insurance replace it, they mailed him a new one about a week or so later.

I dropped my iPhone 4 after getting pushed in a pub and shattered the back glass. Had that repaired by insurance. Then with my HTC, the battery started acting up and wasn't lasting a full day anymore; I sent it off for repair, had a new one back a week later.

So 4 phones either paid out or replaced for a total of 100quid in deductibles. We also had travel insurance with that bank account, as well as a few other bits covered. So that was totally worth it.

Now that I'm on a Nexus 5, and my husband on a Moto G, we have opted for self-insurance; the low price of those phones isn't worth the insurance premiums.

Gozit Sep 22nd 2014 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 11413602)
In the UK, my husband and I had a paid bank account that had phone insurance included as one of the benefits. We paid 12 quid a month for a joint account, and that covered 2 phones each with a 25quid deductible. Husband had his iPhone 3GS stolen (so that was a few years ago); the bank couldn't replace it as the phone wasn't available anymore, so he got a cheque for 600quid to cover the cost. A year later he left his phone in a cab; again, had the insurance replace it, they mailed him a new one about a week or so later.

I dropped my iPhone 4 after getting pushed in a pub and shattered the back glass. Had that repaired by insurance. Then with my HTC, the battery started acting up and wasn't lasting a full day anymore; I sent it off for repair, had a new one back a week later.

So 4 phones either paid out or replaced for a total of 100quid in deductibles. We also had travel insurance with that bank account, as well as a few other bits covered. So that was totally worth it.

Now that I'm on a Nexus 5, and my husband on a Moto G, we have opted for self-insurance; the low price of those phones isn't worth the insurance premiums.

Wow that's awesome! Wish we had something of the sorts here. Although Telus has the option of having the insurance as an addon for $6/month, rather than paying $99 upfront, but it only makes sense for us because with all the discounts and credits I've built up, its basically free.

Gozit Sep 22nd 2014 1:09 pm

Right. So the cell phone thread has drifted to teenagers and "kids these days" and this one has drifted to cell phones. :lol: