British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   P.T. jobs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/p-t-jobs-843393/)

prairiechicken Sep 18th 2014 9:40 pm

Re: P.T. jobs

Great. Good for you, Gozit, and keep your eyes open for any and all opportunities for work.

Gozit Sep 18th 2014 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by prairiechicken (Post 11410091)
Great. Good for you, Gozit, and keep your eyes open for any and all opportunities for work.

:)

Jingsamichty Sep 18th 2014 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 11410046)
Is that servalan?

Edit: it is.

I never noticed that until you pointed it out. I recall that Servelan was a very early crush of mine. :o

SchnookoLoly Sep 18th 2014 9:49 pm

I'm a bit late here (4 pages in one day, nice), but I agree generally with what's been said. Life's opportunities are what you make it. Like you, I would have loved having a nerdy part-time job, but it wasn't really a realistic option for me, so I ended up working at a coffee shop. And honestly, it was actually rather fun. I have tons of stories from there, and it's kind of nice to have worked somewhere a bit different. I made a ton of friends there (including a boyfriend!), sure it was crap service work, but it was still a lot of fun.

You can always take the job at Shoppers for now and keep looking for something better, but at least it gets you in the door. It might actually make things EASIER when you find the tekkie job, so you can say you at least have a bit of experience of the working world!

Gozit Sep 18th 2014 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 11410107)
I'm a bit late here (4 pages in one day, nice), but I agree generally with what's been said. Life's opportunities are what you make it. Like you, I would have loved having a nerdy part-time job, but it wasn't really a realistic option for me, so I ended up working at a coffee shop. And honestly, it was actually rather fun. I have tons of stories from there, and it's kind of nice to have worked somewhere a bit different. I made a ton of friends there (including a boyfriend!), sure it was crap service work, but it was still a lot of fun.

Actually, come to think of it i'd rather like working in a trendy coffee shop like Starbucks, or a local one like we have in town (sadly no starbucks :frown:); i'm also a coffee lover :thumbup:

You can always take the job at Shoppers for now and keep looking for something better, but at least it gets you in the door. It might actually make things EASIER when you find the tekkie job, so you can say you at least have a bit of experience of the working world!
Yeah I agree.

Gozit Sep 18th 2014 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 11410107)
(4 pages in one day, nice)

That's what happens when i'm bored in class :lol:

SchnookoLoly Sep 18th 2014 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 11410150)
Actually, come to think of it i'd rather like working in a trendy coffee shop like Starbucks, or a local one like we have in town (sadly no starbucks :frown:); i'm also a coffee lover :thumbup:

I had a great time working at the coffee shop. They served coffee like anywhere else, but also served food, so occasionally I got to work in the kitchen as well, which was a nice change. There were 5 positions - drive-thru, cash, drinks/desserts, kitchen, tables... so it was a good mix and kept things mixed up. The food was decent and we got discounts for working there. On days when I was feeling more social then working cash or drive-thru was enjoyable. On days when I was feeling antisocial then I was perfectly happy to bus tables and do dishes in the back. I worked two 8-hour shifts a week, two of three days Friday-Sunday. (Mon-Thurs I was busy with school work and after-school sports or yearbook.) It worked well. I recommend it. :)

Gozit Sep 18th 2014 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 11410160)
I had a great time working at the coffee shop. They served coffee like anywhere else, but also served food, so occasionally I got to work in the kitchen as well, which was a nice change. There were 5 positions - drive-thru, cash, drinks/desserts, kitchen, tables... so it was a good mix and kept things mixed up. The food was decent and we got discounts for working there. On days when I was feeling more social then working cash or drive-thru was enjoyable. On days when I was feeling antisocial then I was perfectly happy to bus tables and do dishes in the back. I worked two 8-hour shifts a week, two of three days Friday-Sunday. (Mon-Thurs I was busy with school work and after-school sports or yearbook.) It worked well. I recommend it. :)

caretaker Sep 18th 2014 10:52 pm

Join the army reserve, they pay decent money, teach you a trade, doesn't conflict with school and prepares you for the work force. I've long thought that all young Gozit needs is for someone to teach him to march and give him a good yelling at. Don't join the regular force or they might send you somewhere you don't want to be (if you like the reserves you might think about it though). Tech elements like communications squadrons or electrical and mechanical engineers may appeal to you more than combat trades and be more relevant to civvie street. In 1971 my first summer job other than militia was on a CPR extra gang shovelling rocks and pounding anchors 10 hrs a day for $2/hr, but min wage was only $1.25 then so with 2 hrs overtime per day I had a fair bit of cash for a 16 year old.

Gozit Sep 18th 2014 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11410194)
Join the army reserve, they pay decent money, teach you a trade, doesn't conflict with school and prepares you for the work force. I've long thought that all young Gozit needs is for someone to teach him to march and give him a good yelling at. Don't join the regular force or they might send you somewhere you don't want to be (if you like the reserves you might think about it though). Tech elements like communications squadrons or electrical and mechanical engineers may appeal to you more than combat trades and be more relevant to civvie street. In 1971 my first summer job other than militia was on a CPR extra gang shovelling rocks and pounding anchors 10 hrs a day for $2/hr, but min wage was only $1.25 then so with 2 hrs overtime per day I had a fair bit of cash for a 16 year old.

The most non-excuse I can come up with is I am a dual citizen so can't serve in the army :p

As a peace activist I don't quite like the military, the order and "yelling" as you put it, of it. (I'm an advocate of peaceful parenting and unschooling, doesn't fit with those values) . So that's what I have to say to that. Assuming you weren't joking.

Novocastrian Sep 18th 2014 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11409811)
Sperm bank, at $25 a pop... that's $300 a day for a teenager.

Zing!

dbd33 Sep 18th 2014 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11410059)
We often see on here 'X is what you make it'.

We know that's not true. Some places, people and things actually are better than others.

It's true that it's a learning experience though. Some of the effete whining on the Guardian comments, for example, requires a hefty reality check :lol:

I fear I am the effete whiner of whom you speak!

caretaker Sep 19th 2014 12:11 am

Don't go picking chickens in a chicken barn and loading them on a semi at night (they do it at night so the chickens are a little calmer). It doesn't pay well and ruins your clothes and you breathe pure ammonia. Glad I did it once just for the story. I have a friend who worked as a lion walker at the circus, he'd walk it up and down the road behind the big top and feed and water it. The first day just before the show they told him "Now give him the popcorn ball." He said "What's that?" He had to put his fist and wrist in a pail of honey then in a pail of popcorn, then offer it to the lion who licked and sucked it all off before going into the ring for his performance. The lion, who was quite comfortable with his situation and not very mean looking would have popcorn and honey stuck all over his teeth and palate and so would twist his head and do a passable version of a snarl trying to dislodge it, and so appear at least a bit vicious. That guy is probably (used to be anyway) the best bullshitter I know so I was never sure if it was true or not.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 19th 2014 12:13 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11410194)

I'd have joined the military when younger just for the free training, I'd have picked something with a branch with low combat risk though.

I actually did try when I was in my mid 20's bu they said no thank you, so I never tried again. This was with the US though.

Gozit Sep 19th 2014 12:27 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11410246)
Don't go picking chickens in a chicken barn and loading them on a semi at night (they do it at night so the chickens are a little calmer). It doesn't pay well and ruins your clothes and you breathe pure ammonia. Glad I did it once just for the story. I have a friend who worked as a lion walker at the circus, he'd walk it up and down the road behind the big top and feed and water it. The first day just before the show they told him "Now give him the popcorn ball." He said "What's that?" He had to put his fist and wrist in a pail of honey then in a pail of popcorn, then offer it to the lion who licked and sucked it all off before going into the ring for his performance. The lion, who was quite comfortable with his situation and not very mean looking would have popcorn and honey stuck all over his teeth and palate and so would twist his head and do a passable version of a snarl trying to dislodge it, and so appear at least a bit vicious. That guy is probably (used to be anyway) the best bullshitter I know so I was never sure if it was true or not.

:blink: I didn't know that was a thing! I'll be sure to stay away from it though :nod: