British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   P.T. jobs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/p-t-jobs-843393/)

prairiechicken Sep 18th 2014 6:25 pm

Re: P.T. jobs

Gozit, seriously, don't be too picky. Learning to make the best of a job that pays money but is not necessarily ideal when you are young is massively good experience for later in life. Of course, it's ideal if you can find something you do enjoy. But whatever you take right now isn't forever. You can take a job, say at Shoppers, and still be looking for something more ideal, and earn some $$ while you do it.

Whatever experience you can pick up at your age is good. I'm not saying 'you shouldn't enjoy a job at your age'. I'm saying that at your age, there are clearly limits on what you can do (ie your ideal job of working at Telus isn't available at your age). So make the best of it, and go into a job that isn't ideal with a good, positive attitude, learn whatever you can, do the best job you can, and pick up valuable experience about life, thus making you more employable in your ideal job when you're older. In fact, I'm saying that you have the capacity to find a way to enjoy ANY job at your age.

My first job wasn't one that I would consider ideal. But I smiled my way through it, and I found a way to enjoy it. I learned a lot of things about good and effective ways to deal with people (even difficult ones). Those skills have stuck with me throughout my career.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 18th 2014 6:34 pm

I don't know what town your in or the job market in the town but since you mentioned it was a small city (no idea what is classified as small) but generally you have less choices in small regions, and can't be picky if you really want a job, and really working at Shoppers would not be all that bad for a teenager.

I am in a small town (17,000 people) and know the frustration that comes along with trying to find something work wise that is total crap and its definitely more of a hurdle when compared to a larger city opportunity wise and being under 18 also adds limits on who will hire you which certainly doesn't help.

My first job was the best job ever, granted it was only cash, but it was at the San Diego Zoo and I was in heaven, and best part was it paid better then your average teenager job (5.75/hr vs 4.75/hr min wage at the time)...

Gozit Sep 18th 2014 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by prairiechicken (Post 11409852)
Gozit, seriously, don't be too picky. Learning to make the best of a job that pays money but is not necessarily ideal when you are young is massively good experience for later in life. Of course, it's ideal if you can find something you do enjoy. But whatever you take right now isn't forever. You can take a job, say at Shoppers, and still be looking for something more ideal, and earn some $$ while you do it.

Yeah I know... The thing is i'm not 110% motivated because I only need the money for random purchases that I don't necessarily need, but I really want :sneaky:

Whatever experience you can pick up at your age is good. I'm not saying 'you shouldn't enjoy a job at your age'. I'm saying that at your age, there are clearly limits on what you can do (ie your ideal job of working at Telus isn't available at your age). So make the best of it, and go into a job that isn't ideal with a good, positive attitude, learn whatever you can, do the best job you can, and pick up valuable experience about life, thus making you more employable in your ideal job when you're older. In fact, I'm saying that you have the capacity to find a way to enjoy ANY job at your age.
Thanks for the advice... Being positive about something I don't enjoy is definitely one of my hugest difficulties. (school is a huge drainer, I've always disliked it and likely always will, and I have trouble being positive about it; but I don't want this to turn into a school thread so i'll leave it at that.)

My first job wasn't one that I would consider ideal. But I smiled my way through it, and I found a way to enjoy it. I learned a lot of things about good and effective ways to deal with people (even difficult ones). Those skills have stuck with me throughout my career.
Yep. People skills are something I need too. (I've grown extremely shy over the last couple years.)

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11409866)
I don't know what town your in or the job market in the town but since you mentioned it was a small city (no idea what is classified as small) but generally you have less choices in small regions, and can't be picky if you really want a job, and really working at Shoppers would not be all that bad for a teenager.

Well i'm in St. Thomas, ON ("The railway capital of Canada" :rolleyes:) , pop. approx. 37,000.

No shoppers isn't that bad, lots of my school peers work at fried chicken places :eek: No offense to people on here that might work in one but personally I wouldn't be able to do that without gagging. So i'm glad I have the shoppers in through our family friend.

I am in a small town (17,000 people) and know the frustration that comes along with trying to find something work wise that is total crap and its definitely more of a hurdle when compared to a larger city opportunity wise and being under 18 also adds limits on who will hire you which certainly doesn't help.
Yep. Like with the telus thing, they'd gladly take me on there and I intend to apply the day I turn 18, but corporate policy dictates.

My first job was the best job ever, granted it was only cash, but it was at the San Diego Zoo and I was in heaven, and best part was it paid better then your average teenager job (5.75/hr vs 4.75/hr min wage at the time)...
Well I've always been a supporter of the "happiness over money" movement. :)

Gozit Sep 18th 2014 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11409811)
Sperm bank, at $25 a pop... that's $300 a day for a teenager.

:rofl:
I guess I wouldn't count it out as an option:eek:

MillieF Sep 18th 2014 8:26 pm

Other than the techie stuff what interests you. I work with a young man who got a summer job at 14 picking up golf balls at the local course. Then he went on to caddying, and he worked all through Uni working in the bar, it gave him lots of practical skills. He's off work on holiday at the present...as he's representing NB in a golf tournament in Ontario.

Don't your parents know anyone willing to employ a useful pair of hands?

Gozit Sep 18th 2014 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 11409974)
Other than the techie stuff what interests you. I work with a young man who got a summer job at 14 picking up golf balls at the local course. Then he went on to caddying, and he worked all through Uni working in the bar, it gave him lots of practical skills. He's off work on holiday at the present...as he's representing NB in a golf tournament in Ontario.

Don't your parents know anyone willing to employ a useful pair of hands?

The family friend I mentioned is my "in" to shoppers... Otherwise I wouldn't be able to get a job due to the sheer amount of applicants there are to work there because its one of the only unskilled jobs in town that doesn't involve fast food. That plus my paltry resume compared to other kids my age who seem to have endless volunteerism in them and have volunteered everywhere under the sun, doesn't help me. But my family friend is close enough that should I want a place, i'll get it.

Other than that, my parents don't know many people in this town. I took dbd's suggestion and sent off an email to one of the more "dodgy" cell repair places in town, although still legal, just the phone providers don't like them :lol: so we'll see what comes of that.

That's quite interesting your friend who did the golf course thing, but I need something year round, because the summer is when i'll be taking my holidays to go to Malta :)

Sally Redux Sep 18th 2014 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 11409961)

Yep. People skills are something I need too. (I've grown extremely shy over the last couple years.)

You're supposed to get more carefree as you get older but I seem to have lost confidence too. I think emigrating made me second guess everything.

That doesn't help you :lol:

Gozit Sep 18th 2014 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11409983)
You're supposed to get more carefree as you get older but I seem to have lost confidence too. I think emigrating made me second guess everything.

That doesn't help you :lol:

I'm the same way. I used to not care about what people think and was rather outgoing, but then high school happened :lol:

Sally Redux Sep 18th 2014 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 11409991)
I'm the same way. I used to not care about what people think and was rather outgoing, but then high school happened :lol:

My son is rather quiet, to the point of being surly, but he seems to have a nice group of friends. As long as you have a few people to knock around with, you'll be fine :)

Gozit Sep 18th 2014 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11409998)
My son is rather quiet, to the point of being surly, but he seems to have a nice group of friends. As long as you have a few people to knock around with, you'll be fine :)

Yeah, sounds like me :)

prairiechicken Sep 18th 2014 8:47 pm

Gozit, if I can be really deep and meaningful for a moment - if there's one piece of advice that I can give you, it is that positivity is not something that is generated outside of you. It really is within you. I'm not saying it is easy to be positive about things that you don't enjoy (like school), but it IS possible. And the key to happiness is not something that's 'out there' in the form of a job, or a different country, or a different set of circumstances. It's actually, fundamentally, about your own attitude.

If you are constantly looking for happiness somewhere outside of yourself, or thinking 'life will be better when I finish school/move/get a job I like, chances are you will always end up disappointed.

So I'd say go for the job at Shoppers. See what you can learn. Go in there telling yourself that no matter how crappy your day is, you're going to smile through it. Don't underestimate the difference you can make to someone'e day just by smiling to them and greeting them nicely at the cashier's desk, and the positive effect that will have on you. You don't 'need' the money, but it will mean you can indulge in more techy stuff that you love. And in the long run, if you've done a great job, you'll get a great reference, which will make it easier for you to get a job you really like in a few years.

One way to help you find the positives in difficult situations is to ask 'What can I learn from this?' If you can learn something, then that's a positive thing. You gain from it anyway, even if it was hard.

Oink Sep 18th 2014 8:53 pm

What about some low key drug dealing? Its Canada you won't get caught and if you do it'll just be a slap on the wrist.

Jingsamichty Sep 18th 2014 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 11409982)
Other than that, my parents don't know many people in this town. I took dbd's suggestion and sent off an email to one of the more "dodgy" cell repair places in town, although still legal, just the phone providers don't like them :lol: so we'll see what comes of that.

Nothing will come of that. You need to step away from the computer and go and see them, in person.

Sally Redux Sep 18th 2014 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by prairiechicken (Post 11410004)
Gozit, if I can be really deep and meaningful for a moment - if there's one piece of advice that I can give you, it is that positivity is not something that is generated outside of you. It really is within you. I'm not saying it is easy to be positive about things that you don't enjoy (like school), but it IS possible. And the key to happiness is not something that's 'out there' in the form of a job, or a different country, or a different set of circumstances. It's actually, fundamentally, about your own attitude.

If you are constantly looking for happiness somewhere outside of yourself, or thinking 'life will be better when I finish school/move/get a job I like, chances are you will always end up disappointed.

So I'd say go for the job at Shoppers. See what you can learn. Go in there telling yourself that no matter how crappy your day is, you're going to smile through it. Don't underestimate the difference you can make to someone'e day just by smiling to them and greeting them nicely at the cashier's desk, and the positive effect that will have on you. You don't 'need' the money, but it will mean you can indulge in more techy stuff that you love. And in the long run, if you've done a great job, you'll get a great reference, which will make it easier for you to get a job you really like in a few years.

One way to help you find the positives in difficult situations is to ask 'What can I learn from this?' If you can learn something, then that's a positive thing. You gain from it anyway, even if it was hard.

Does anybody really believe that? :lol:

Sally Redux Sep 18th 2014 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 11409962)
:rofl:
I guess I wouldn't count it out as an option:eek:

Premium Maltese :rofl: