Ovens

Old Apr 6th 2011, 2:46 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ovens

Well I am officially in the dog house as I have managed to break my in-wall oven - don't ask me how I did it. An F3 fault code just keeps beeping away at me. I am sure this happened not long after we moved in and by turning power on and off managed to clear it, but this time nothing has worked. Looking on the internet we have managed to find out what an F3 fault is and got a replacement temperature probe yesterday and fitted it without any success, the b.. thing is still bleeping. The next thing to replace would be its brains but that costs over $400!! So I guess it is a replacement job.

Our appliances are all Jenn-Air, and around 15 years old. I have a gas stove top with down draft in an island, and separate in-wall electric oven and microwave. These are very expensive items to replace if you go with Jenn-Air. We don't know whether to just replace the in-wall oven or do a major job and get a slide-in cooker and place it in the middle of the island, but then it has to be one with a down draft and that brings us back to Jenn-Air who seem to be the only people who do the down draft, and way over $3,000!!!! plus the cost of hacking the island to accommodate it.

So all you helpful people out there, any ideas on what else apart from replacing its brains would solve our F3 fault, and if not if we go for the easy option of just replacing the in-wall oven what reliable brand should we go for (and it has to be white) and where is the best place to shop. We had a quick look in Trail Appliances yesterday when getting the replacement temperature probe and in-wall ovens are not cheap, and Sears seems to be the only other option.

I am feeling so bad about it I have told my husband not to rush into replacing it (with the UK/Canada exchange rate being what it is at the moment and waiting for it to go up before we bring any more funds over we are not too keen on spending lots of money at the moment). So I am having to use the gas bbq at the moment which is good, summer is coming, but I did singe the bottom of the cookies I baked in there but for a first try they didn't come out too bad and taste all right once you scrape the bottoms off
Old Apr 6th 2011, 2:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ovens

I bought a new Maytag stove around five years ago, it worked fine and cost around $1500. Six months ago, for another house, we bought a Kenmore (made by Frigidaire) it cost just over a grand, has the same features and works equally well. I'd go to Sears.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

You could also try Coast Wholesale Appliances. We have purchased a few things from there.

http://www.coastappliances.com/alberta.html
Old Apr 6th 2011, 3:19 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
I bought a new Maytag stove around five years ago, it worked fine and cost around $1500. Six months ago, for another house, we bought a Kenmore (made by Frigidaire) it cost just over a grand, has the same features and works equally well. I'd go to Sears.
We purchased a Sears gas stove two years ago when we did a major reno been very happy with it.

Sears website has 81 built-in ovens to choose from. http://www.sears.ca/catalog/built-in...ll-ovens/14146 perhaps a browse through then a visit to the store.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 3:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Another happy Sears Kenmore user.

Bare in mind sears often have sales and the associates can advise you whats likely to be coming up as a bargain soon.

For example I've snagged a $1400 water softener for $800, a $1400 convection range for $900 before by waiting a few days.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 4:20 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all the replies. Haven't checked out Coast Wholesale so should give them a look.

I had got the impression, obviously wrongly, that Sears/Magtag were crappy but I guess like most things you can always pick up a dud one, so it is good to hear from a satisfied customer.

Thanks Steve had already been trolling the Sears site. They don't put Jenn-Air on the site but do have some in the showroom, so better keep an eye out for the sales. I have pointed out the reasonably priced in-wall ovens on their site.

We obviously have a lot of homework still to do. OH is still not sure whether to replace in-wall oven or do away with the gas stove top, rip the island to pieces and put in a slide in cooker. In that case it would have to be completely gas. I would like an electric oven, gas top, but in order for that to happen the floor would also have to come up to put in a 240 electric supply, whereas at the moment it does have 110. All I can see is many $$$$$$ signs as then we are restricted to Jenn-Air for the downdraft.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 4:25 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

We used The Bay. Remember, everything is very negotiable. I did some phoning around and found best prices on the things I wanted and then got The Bay to match. Some quite significant differences and discounts. Also, if you pay with the right credit card it will double the original warranty or something like that.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 4:34 pm
Arrived at last!!

Originally Posted by lmartin999
We used The Bay. Remember, everything is very negotiable. I did some phoning around and found best prices on the things I wanted and then got The Bay to match. Some quite significant differences and discounts. Also, if you pay with the right credit card it will double the original warranty or something like that.
That's good to know, thank you.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 6:46 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that Sears uses manufacturers with the best customer feedback to make their "Kenmore" range.

If Whirpool get the best feedback one year Sears will contract to them, if they slip & another manufacturer gets a higher feedback they will switch to them..

It could be a fairytale but that's my understanding..

We use Sears outlet stores to get our white goods. No box but up to 75% off & all warranties still apply..
Old Apr 7th 2011, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by woodmanbg
Well I am officially in the dog house as I have managed to break my in-wall oven - don't ask me how I did it. An F3 fault code just keeps beeping away at me. I am sure this happened not long after we moved in and by turning power on and off managed to clear it, but this time nothing has worked. Looking on the internet we have managed to find out what an F3 fault is and got a replacement temperature probe yesterday and fitted it without any success, the b.. thing is still bleeping. The next thing to replace would be its brains but that costs over $400!! So I guess it is a replacement job.

Our appliances are all Jenn-Air, and around 15 years old. I have a gas stove top with down draft in an island, and separate in-wall electric oven and microwave. These are very expensive items to replace if you go with Jenn-Air. We don't know whether to just replace the in-wall oven or do a major job and get a slide-in cooker and place it in the middle of the island, but then it has to be one with a down draft and that brings us back to Jenn-Air who seem to be the only people who do the down draft, and way over $3,000!!!! plus the cost of hacking the island to accommodate it.

So all you helpful people out there, any ideas on what else apart from replacing its brains would solve our F3 fault, and if not if we go for the easy option of just replacing the in-wall oven what reliable brand should we go for (and it has to be white) and where is the best place to shop. We had a quick look in Trail Appliances yesterday when getting the replacement temperature probe and in-wall ovens are not cheap, and Sears seems to be the only other option.

I am feeling so bad about it I have told my husband not to rush into replacing it (with the UK/Canada exchange rate being what it is at the moment and waiting for it to go up before we bring any more funds over we are not too keen on spending lots of money at the moment). So I am having to use the gas bbq at the moment which is good, summer is coming, but I did singe the bottom of the cookies I baked in there but for a first try they didn't come out too bad and taste all right once you scrape the bottoms off
Send me your model and serial number by PM and I'll have a look to see what the problem may be.
It does sound like a sensor fault, if the new sensor is good then it could well be the clock unit.

Kev

Last edited by Trophy; Apr 7th 2011 at 9:10 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 1:59 am
Arrived at last!!

Originally Posted by Trophy
Send me your model and serial number by PM and I'll have a look to see what the problem may be.
It does sound like a sensor fault, if the new sensor is good then it could well be the clock unit.

Kev
Thanks Trophy have sent PM.