Out of interest.....

Old Feb 7th 2007, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

betterskierthanthewife will become famous soon enoughbetterskierthanthewife will become famous soon enough
Default Out of interest.....

...was wondering for those of you in Canada - what do you do? where are you based? and why/how did you end up there?
Old Feb 7th 2007, 1:28 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Out of interest.....

As the profile thingy says, Im in the Quinte Area of Eastern Ontario, near the village of Stirling. I work as an engineer in Belleville. I ended up here after being headhunted from the UK, I came for the money had no idea what to expect, but Im glad I came...even if that money seems a distant memory now. Met my wife here (well, she wasnt my wife when I met her...) and have two "canadian " kids now. My 9th Canaversary was last Sunday. Sadly no one baked a cake

Last edited by iaink; Feb 7th 2007 at 1:32 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 1:41 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
As the profile thingy says, Im in the Quinte Area of Eastern Ontario, near the village of Stirling. I work as an engineer in Belleville. I ended up here after being headhunted from the UK, I came for the money had no idea what to expect, but Im glad I came...even if that money seems a distant memory now. Met my wife here (well, she wasnt my wife when I met her...) and have two "canadian " kids now. My 9th Canaversary was last Sunday. Sadly no one baked a cake
More likely that they would have organised a 'Pot Luck' for you.

In reply to the thread topic: I'm an IT engineer and ex-lecturer currently employed as a project coordinator for a homeless shelter database thingy - through the County.

We're in Guelph. It's a bit like purgatory without the perks. However, I now no longer fear Death.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Arrived in Montreal in 1968 and got a job in Telecomms since I worked for the Post Office Telephones in the UK (Now B.T.). Was transferred to Guelph then returned to Montreal and changed careers into computers. Worked for a few computer employers and moved to Toronto. Got tired of the big city and moved to small town in Eastern Ontario. Had my own computer service business for a while then changed careers again into Freelance Management Systems consulting.

Now semi retired.

Advice summary. Be flexible in employment and location especially when getting started.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 2:43 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Went to work at the CHC in London in 1996, in an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to save my marriage. Later met Souvette, a Canadian soldier on a 4-year posting to the CHC. She dragged me back to Canada in 2000, following an obscenely quick PR visa application process. I spent the next two years as a housewife before starting work as a freelancer for a UK-based industrial market research company. I became a full-time offshore employee of the company in mid-2005 and, if they have their way, will be a director/shareholder in the not-too-distant future.

Lived in Oakville (GTA) at first; now in Gatineau.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betterskierthanthewife
...was wondering for those of you in Canada - what do you do? where are you based? and why/how did you end up there?
Accountant......... Calgary..................stuck a pin in the map, no only kidding, ..............came to Canada a few years back and prefered Calgary to Vancouver.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:02 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Entrepreneur (largely in property but still have income from UK too).
NW Calgary (across the road from smelly)
Maritimes (apparently) suffered from fogs a lot of the time and could be damp.
Quebec was out cos we aint fluent in French
Ontario was nice but it didnt scream out to me
Manitoba and Sask too flat and\or had REALLY harsh winters and LOTS of biting insects.
Vancouver\VI (apparently) has a climate too close to the UK
Came to look at Calgary\Edmonton and just loved the city and proximity to Mtns
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:07 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Retired Air Traffic Controller.

NW Calgary

Emigrated originally to Edmonton (have relatives there) was transferred to Calgary in 1974 and fell in love with the place within days of arriving here.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:08 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

I do a bit of this and some of that (investor/anthropologist/now returning to uni), I'm in Calgary but I ended up in Canada because of a birth control malfunction.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:15 pm
Property Owner

welshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nice

Post-doc

Ontario

We honeymooned in Algonquin Park a couple of years back and fell in love with the place. We just moved out at christmas.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Computer person. Toronto. Came to Canada because my then partner spoke only French and we thought the country was bilingual. Spent ten years or so up to 2005ish on the road, mainly in the US but also working in Europe and Asia, now work primarily by internet and have almost no business in Canada. Am not about to move to the country with my horse crazy other half, an American I downloaded from the Guardian talkboard.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:40 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Computer person. Toronto. Came to Canada because my then partner spoke only French and we thought the country was bilingual. Spent ten years or so up to 2005ish on the road, mainly in the US but also working in Europe and Asia, now work primarily by internet and have almost no business in Canada. Am not about to move to the country with my horse crazy other half, an American I downloaded from the Guardian talkboard.
Am not about to move.......?

That can mean one of only two things. Either the property deal fell through, or you're a shit typist.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Am not about to move.......?

That can mean one of only two things. Either the property deal fell through, or you're a shit typist.
Oh, as far as I know it's the latter. I intended to type "now about to move".

The appraiser appraised but we don't know what it means. The agent says about one deal a year goes sour at this stage but I don't know how many deals he does each year. I guess we'll find out on Friday.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 12:31 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Materials Manager, electronic/electrical manufacturing. Before that briefly Director of Shipping Fish around the world and before that in UK stints in the plug n socket and Auto industry. About five years ago met this Canadian girl from some place called Newfoundland. The rest is history. Been here since Nov 04.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 1:04 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

After a honeymoon in Toronto/Niagra, we decided Canada was nicer than USA, so put a PR application in under Skilled Worker category. Came to Alberta on a fact finding mission travelled around in an RV for two weeks getting lost amongst the Rockies. Hubby got a job offer in Red Deer as a mechanic and we haven't looked back, ultimate dream is to have a campground somewhere beautiful but that is a couple of years off now, plans change - we have decided it would be unfair to move daughter away from familiarity again at her age (12 now) so we shall wait until she is either old enough to drive (if we find a campground nearby) or until she finishes school. Saying that if the perfect place came up at the perfect price we may rethink that thoguht too I currently work at Snears in admin -travel office from Monday. We haven't seen much of our new country, foreign vacations will certainly take a back seat until we explore more of this wonderful land. Some people visit Canada a dozen times before they make the leap of faith - we just knew it was right for us - especially after the fact finding trip when some teens rather than swearing and not letting us pass on a narrow bridge, aplogised and moved to one side and we were in the City.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.