Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Olympic Opening Ceremony Show

Olympic Opening Ceremony Show

Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice
Default Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony Show

I tuned into this last night honestly expecting it to be a bit crap and cringe worthy...

However in actual fact I loved it!! Thought it was great and very well done, I'd say somewhat eclectic rather than disjointed, but I felt it worked. How can you beat James Bond and the Queen leaping from a helicopter!!! :d

Paul McCartney at the end was the only bit that didn't quite work for me, definitely a British icon of pop... and very definitely long long past his prime, plenty of other people could (and should) have done this bit, maybe a medley of a few big names...

Despite this though, Over all very well done London!!
Old Jul 28th 2012, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
I liked most of it and it was quite the production. I too felt proud and homesick, but at time it totally lost me. The NHs thing, the crap rapper the house with clips of corri and eastenders, and a mess of bits and pieces of pop music and culture...it seemed disjointed, but it certainly had its moments, like Rowan Atkinson. As a celebration of pop culture it rocked, as an Olympic ceremony....I don't know what to think.

I wonder what foreigners will make of it.....
+1
Old Jul 28th 2012, 11:02 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Did you miss the shakespeare, brunel, industrial revolution, nhs, suffragettes etc bits?
no i didn't, i saw Kenneth do his Brunel bit, and one could hardly miss the smoke stacks, but they were hardly centre stage were they? I liked how it started but it lost ground and became a jumbled mix. Although some later parts were great like Mary Poppins...the NHS thing i didn't get at all.

To me there was no grandeur or pomp, just a mosiac of Brit pop cultue, which is fine, but it tended to take over....as jonboye notes, all that was missing was someone throwing up or fighting in the ensuing chaos of the balance of the show.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 11:20 am
Wales to Saskatoon!

JulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really nice

Originally Posted by Oink
And he's not even from London. I think he needs to retire. They should of had Paul Weller.

Hear Hear!! I second that.. The Mod Father should have sang!! and a few Vespa's and Lambrettas while the 60's stuff was playing would have gone down a treat!!
Old Jul 28th 2012, 2:40 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

no i didn't, i saw Kenneth do his Brunel bit, and one could hardly miss the smoke stacks, but they were hardly centre stage were they? I liked how it started but it lost ground and became a jumbled mix. Although some later parts were great like Mary Poppins...the NHS thing i didn't get at all.

To me there was no grandeur or pomp, just a mosiac of Brit pop cultue, which is fine, but it tended to take over....as jonboye notes, all that was missing was someone throwing up or fighting in the ensuing chaos of the balance of the show.
Grandeur would have been the wrong thing to do. There was no way London could compete with Beijing on that - so they did something different instead.

(and I think they picked paul mccartney cos everyone can do the 'na na na na' chorus)
Old Jul 28th 2012, 2:52 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

The NHS was the first free cradle to grave health care of its kind at the time. Like the industrial revolution, literature, music, suffragettes, and so on, it pioneered the way other countries and people around the worl developed what they have today.

GOSH was a great tribute to JM Barrie, and visa versa, and how his Peter pan funding has helped develop the best children's hospital in the world. Another look at how British literature impacted the country and the world.

The cell phone storyline was a view of generational changes with family and young kids, aided by british music and visuals from different eras. The young girl was quite fit

It seemed typical Danny Boyle and he did an excellent job given the gravity of it all.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 3:30 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

My take on it is 9/10.

Mostly bloody brilliant - I didn't love the "music" bit - I think they could have done alot better on that front with ALL the Brit talent past and present.

Loved the forging of the olympic rings! the lighting of the cauldron was nothing short of spectacular.

Didn't get the point of dragging poor Ali out again, others could have done that rather than the sick old fella.

Still think Beckham should have brought the torch into the stadium and representatives from the athletes of the future and past should have lit the cauldron imo.

McCartney should now retire, indeed. However, for me, no-one else should have had that spot, The Beatles, are one of Britains biggest icons worldover and it was right that he ultimately played. May have been good had they brought on Ringo to play drums.

And who dressed the athletes???

Overall
Old Jul 28th 2012, 3:50 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I really liked it but the Rowan A. thing went on for too long.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I had luckily finished working so could watch it "live" unfortunately from CTV because they spoilt it by throwing in some ads and stupid comments (can't help it can they?) I then watched it a second time with my OH and my feeling was still the same. I loved it. I thought it was a well balance of what is all British and what was history, be it Industry, NHS, WWars, Literature, Music, film and new technology to show how far we have come. I especially liked the opening singing of "Oh Jerusalem" and not having to be politically correct with the opening music, showcasing songs from all of Great Britain. I may not have liked some of the more modern music but it is still part of the growing Britain. Mr Bean was my best followed by the Queen, such a good laugh and only the British can pull that off! Well done London! Proud to have British roots and made me very homesick.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 7:02 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I really didn't expect to like it....but I really did, and I could feel a desire for a quick burst of Rule Britania swell within. I loved the mix of kids and teens being involved and they all looked so happy. I thought Mike Oldfield had stood the test of time, but I'm with the general consensus that Macca should just stop as it's getting painful. I was pleasantly surprised...I thought the fireworks were fab.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 7:06 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
My take on it is 9/10.

Mostly bloody brilliant - I didn't love the "music" bit - I think they could have done alot better on that front with ALL the Brit talent past and present.

Loved the forging of the olympic rings! the lighting of the cauldron was nothing short of spectacular.

Didn't get the point of dragging poor Ali out again, others could have done that rather than the sick old fella.

Still think Beckham should have brought the torch into the stadium and representatives from the athletes of the future and past should have lit the cauldron imo.

McCartney should now retire, indeed. However, for me, no-one else should have had that spot, The Beatles, are one of Britains biggest icons worldover and it was right that he ultimately played. May have been good had they brought on Ringo to play drums.

And who dressed the athletes???

Overall
These are my sentiments entirely.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I agree on the TeamBritain althletic outfits were awful, they would have looked more stunning in Blue Red and White! Made more of an inpact when they came out last!
Old Jul 28th 2012, 7:33 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Oh I agree on the TeamBritain althletic outfits were awful, they would have looked more stunning in Blue Red and White! Made more of an inpact when they came out last!
I didn't like them either. I heard they were inspired by Sir Jimmy Saville. Still didn't make me like them.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Someone on facebook made me giggle - asked if they had been designed by Ali G.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 7:35 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It was nice to see The Queen having a good laugh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.