Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Olympic Opening Ceremony Show

Olympic Opening Ceremony Show

Old Jul 27th 2012, 9:10 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Olympic Opening Ceremony Show

Bloody Brilliant!!!

Made me very proud to be British
Old Jul 27th 2012, 9:17 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony Show

Originally Posted by el_richo
Bloody Brilliant!!!

Made me very proud to be British
I'm watching it on the Asian channel. A lot less bloody annoying those Canadian announcers. Epic but could of done without the spammer song.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 11:26 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

I liked most of it and it was quite the production. I too felt proud and homesick, but at time it totally lost me. The NHs thing, the crap rapper the house with clips of corri and eastenders, and a mess of bits and pieces of pop music and culture...it seemed disjointed, but it certainly had its moments, like Rowan Atkinson. As a celebration of pop culture it rocked, as an Olympic ceremony....I don't know what to think.

I wonder what foreigners will make of it.....
Old Jul 27th 2012, 11:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
I liked most of it and it was quite the production. I too felt proud and homesick, but at time it totally lost me. The NHs thing, the crap rapper the house with clips of corri and eastenders, and a mess of bits and pieces of pop music and culture...it seemed disjointed, but it certainly had its moments, like Rowan Atkinson. As a celebration of pop culture it rocked, as an Olympic ceremony....I don't know what to think.

I wonder what foreigners will make of it.....
Who cares? It was the best opening ceremony ever.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 11:36 pm

Now that's an Olympic caldron not like crap one here with the tin foil on it.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 11:44 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It was going OK till Macca turned up.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It was going OK till Macca turned up.
And he's not even from London. I think he needs to retire. They should of had Paul Weller.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 12:17 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

The news preview on telly just said:

"The London Olympics have officially begun. We discuss whether the opening ceremony was as good as Vancouvers".

It's the city version of small man syndrome
Old Jul 28th 2012, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I was very disappointed in most of it.
A few bits were good. Like Rowan Atkinson and the actual lighting of the cauldron and the fireworks but the rest I thought was pretty crap and must have been even worse if you were there and couldn't see everything going on like we did on tv.
(Don't shoot me please )
Old Jul 28th 2012, 12:30 am
Beep

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I was very disappointed in most of it.
A few bits were good. Like Rowan Atkinson and the actual lighting of the cauldron and the fireworks but the rest I thought was pretty crap and must have been even worse if you were there and couldn't see everything going on like we did on tv.
(Don't shoot me please )
Shame.

Vancouver news have stated London was better than Vancouver.

The music was great, the walk through pre and post industrial revolution, celebrating literature, NHS, GOSH (the kids and staff were great), british influence on music, changing of generations and times, arrival of internet and social media....

And the Queen jumping from the helicopter before being introduced.

You have to admit it was pretty fun, educational, and history. More so than most, if not all, opening shows.

Danny Boyle did a great job.

My brother in law is there and said the atmosphere and show were spectacular, with so much pride felt throughout.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 12:31 am

The news preview on telly just said:

"The London Olympics have officially begun. We discuss whether the opening ceremony was as good as Vancouvers".

It's the city version of small man syndrome
The duality of self-righteousness coupled with insecurity produces rather bizarre outcomes here.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Shame.

Vancouver news have stated London was better than Vancouver.

The music was great, the walk through pre and post industrial revolution, celebrating literature, NHS, GOSH (the kids and staff were great), british influence on music, changing of generations and times, arrival of internet and social media....

And the Queen jumping from the helicopter before being introduced.

You have to admit it was pretty fun, educational, and history. More so than most, if not all, opening shows.

Danny Boyle did a great job.

My brother in law is there and said the atmosphere and show were spectacular, with so much pride felt throughout.
Don't get me wrong the idea was great but I found it disjointed. When the tree started rising I thought the aliens had arrived! lol

Satisfy my curiosity if you can. How much was a ticket to the opening ceremony? My boss came back from lunch with his cronies and said he had been told it was $2012! lol
Old Jul 28th 2012, 12:56 am

Good stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Olympic Opening Ceremony Show-vpkhw.jpg  
Old Jul 28th 2012, 1:07 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to have pissed off a few (well one now I think about it) tory MP's too. Result!
Old Jul 28th 2012, 1:07 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was great. Good tunes, good humour, definately British. Felt some swellings of national pride definately.

An amusing tweet from a local journo I follow:

"Becks on a boat on the Thames way better than Gretsky in the back of a truck in Vancouver"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.