Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

No Surprise. Housing costs hurt low income the most.

No Surprise. Housing costs hurt low income the most.

Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:04 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Surprise. Housing costs hurt low income the most.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I'm going to steal a line from the excellent movie "Big" and ask which of you prefers to be on top.

Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm going to steal a line from the excellent movie "Big" and ask which of you prefers to be on top.
https://cdn.realtor.ca/listing/TS635.../9/11979_3.jpg

Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

paw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
But why would one as a landlord, it is also an opportunity to increase ones return.

If land prices fell, hoses got cheaper, landlords would be making capital losses on property they own, they would have to recover that and therefore rents would be higher to recover the book loss

It would help those wanting to buy property though.

Just because you make a capital loss doesn't mean you can increase the rent to cover the loss. Your rents would have to compete against new landlords who were able to buy cheaply. You certainly don't hear about landlords reducing the rent because they've made so much money on capital gains :-)
Old Apr 19th 2016, 12:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paw339
Just because you make a capital loss doesn't mean you can increase the rent to cover the loss. Your rents would have to compete against new landlords who were able to buy cheaply. You certainly don't hear about landlords reducing the rent because they've made so much money on capital gains :-)
I am not sure the point in further debate, the market is where it is and unlikely to change.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 1:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure the point in further debate, the market is where it is and unlikely to change.
I think house prices will drop. Not over the next 20 years but over the next 5, such cycles are typical of the housing market. I think the next drop will be precipitated by a prolonged slump in oil prices and a rise in interest rates. I don't think this will improve the lot of the poor but, as usual, will hurt highly leveraged home owners. High levels of immigration help, of course, but they'll be offset by the tar sands workers going home.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

paw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping for a change in the market at least for my children's state. Things certainly down seem sustainable on the current path especially as median real wages don't seem to be going higher anytime soon and TPP will only make things worse, but thats a discussion for another thread :-)
Old Apr 21st 2016, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paw339
I'm hoping for a change in the market at least for my children's state.
Your kids won't need a house. They'll just live in a pod, and their Virtual Reality goggles will make it look like a mansion.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 5:10 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Your kids won't need a house. They'll just live in a pod, and their Virtual Reality goggles will make it look like a mansion.
Now there's a thought
Old Apr 21st 2016, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

I've read articles recently about Sydney, Vancouver and London and the influx of Russian, Arab and Chinese buyers. Rich people from these nations are entering the market and buying up large quantities of houses in all of the above cities. I think this is causing a huge problem, I know for sure it is in London as I have friends living there who have spoken about the ridiculous number of properties that are bought and left empty.

I think this is particularly unfair because the nations these people obtained there wealthy are famously unfair in terms of wealth distribution. They make the west look like a wealth equality utopia. So we have people entering the market who have amassed such wealth on the backs of the poor in their own countries and they're using this vast wealth to negatively affect western cities and their populations.

The governments of all three nations don't appear to be taking any steps to curb this. If they're meant to be representatives of the people then they should prevent people who do not have citizenship in the respective countries from buying land or property in areas which are clearly only being bought for money laundering or investment purposes.

I don't think there is a democracy in the world which put their people before corporations and money.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 11:13 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
I've read articles recently about Sydney, Vancouver and London and the influx of Russian, Arab and Chinese buyers. Rich people from these nations are entering the market and buying up large quantities of houses in all of the above cities. I think this is causing a huge problem, I know for sure it is in London as I have friends living there who have spoken about the ridiculous number of properties that are bought and left empty.

I think this is particularly unfair because the nations these people obtained there wealthy are famously unfair in terms of wealth distribution. They make the west look like a wealth equality utopia. So we have people entering the market who have amassed such wealth on the backs of the poor in their own countries and they're using this vast wealth to negatively affect western cities and their populations.

The governments of all three nations don't appear to be taking any steps to curb this. If they're meant to be representatives of the people then they should prevent people who do not have citizenship in the respective countries from buying land or property in areas which are clearly only being bought for money laundering or investment purposes.

I don't think there is a democracy in the world which put their people before corporations and money.
That's a really interesting point. The Panama Papers have highlighted how endemic corruption is in some other countries, not that we didn't suspect it, and certainly some of the money coming in are ill gotten gains. The cities you mention are to some extent allowing their property markets to be money laundering systems. A problem in itself, but when it impacts the ability of local residents to purchase, quite a critical problem. Greater transparency is essential, followed, in necessary, by specific regulation.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 11:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

A sibling going behind another siblings back and having the parent sell the parents house to one sibling and then lie about it to the other sibling.

Explains how the other sibling bought 24 acres of ocean front property.

Real Estate seems to make people quite money hungry and greedy sometimes, amazing how people will back stab family members.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 11:17 am
Account Closed

Gov't should also strive to track with accuracy how many units are vacant and just sitting empty.

Maybe its time to bring in a hefty vacant residential property permit? (If it doesn't already exist.)

Charge a non-resident tax?

Suppose the only way is to make it unattractive to park money in real estate somehow.

Originally Posted by Shard
That's a really interesting point. The Panama Papers have highlighted how endemic corruption is in some other countries, not that we didn't suspect it, and certainly some of the money coming in are ill gotten gains. The cities you mention are to some extent allowing their property markets to be money laundering systems. A problem in itself, but when it impacts the ability of local residents to purchase, quite a critical problem. Greater transparency is essential, followed, in necessary, by specific regulation.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Suppose the only way is to make it unattractive to park money in real estate somehow.
Then who would you rent from??!
There are plenty of Canadians buying property for investment as well, I would imagine almost all of of it is rented out.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

I was reffering to off shore investors who buy property to park their money and then leave the units empty or rent them nightly on air bnb like they are a hotel.

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
Then who would you rent from??!
There are plenty of Canadians buying property for investment as well, I would imagine almost all of of it is rented out.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I was reffering to off shore investors who buy property to park their money and then leave the units empty or rent them nightly on air bnb like they are a hotel.
Its hard to make a rule which is so precise- would you ban Americans from investing? Would Canadians then be affected in a tit for tat arrangement if they wanted to buy in the USA- many have homes they live in only during the winter.
Having empty housing stock is less than ideal but I can also see that legislating to prevent it would also be difficult.
Renting out to tourists is easier to control- I believe NYC is very strict about this. I think only longer term rentals are allowed but I may be wrong

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.