Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

New Glasgow stores & things

New Glasgow stores & things

Old Jul 30th 2008, 11:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Glasgow stores & things

I could probably go on various sites and look at store locators and plot them on mapquest.

Or some kind soul might know of a map of NG with some of the stores or malls marked.

Is there a kind soul out there?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Glasgow stores & things

*bump*

Or some kind soul might just put a few blobs on a map using Paint or something?

Just to give a general idea where things are around town.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:22 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Try Google earth, I did a search for New Glasgow and it went straight over to the right place. Looks like a lot of the local businesses are already marked in there. The mall/walmart is flagged with a nice round fluffy white cloud.

Is there anywhere in partcular you're looking for?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
*bump*

Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

*bump*

Never been there but a Google search brought up the NG town website which seems to have lots of useful info. There is a map you can click on here that, at the most detailed level, highlights a few local attractions.

http://www.newglasgow.ca/index.php?o...214&Itemid=247

There is a link to info about what's on offer for visitors to NG here...
http://www.newglasgow.ca/index.php?o...=36&Itemid=164

And within that, there is a link to Shopping options...
http://www.newglasgow.ca/index.php?o...127&Itemid=179

Not exactly what you were asking for and you may have found this site already but hope it is of some use.

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 10:51 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Try Google earth, I did a search for New Glasgow and it went straight over to the right place. Looks like a lot of the local businesses are already marked in there. The mall/walmart is flagged with a nice round fluffy white cloud.

Is there anywhere in partcular you're looking for?
I saw quite a few buildings that looked like they could be malls, but they could just as easily be warehouses, DIY stores, offices, or anything of that nature to be honest.

I don't drive. I cycle and walk or bus but I know there are no buses. Being close enough to walk or ride to at least one big supermarket is obviously important. Somebody was kind enough to give me an example of a home for sale that was near to various amenities. When I look at MLS for other places in NG I check out mapquest to see where they are, but that doesn't tell me where it is in relation to walking/biking somewhere.

Originally Posted by Getting There
Never been there but a Google search brought up the NG town website which seems to have lots of useful info. There is a map you can click on here that, at the most detailed level, highlights a few local attractions.
Thanks. I think I have that site in my faves. It certainly indicates a nice place to live...so do a couple of others.

Us non drivers are few and far between though and descriptions are geared to the majority. If I did make the move, obviously I'd visit to check things out beforehand. It would just be nice to know there were several possibilities of being near the essentials.

Edited to add:

Actually, I just had a look at the shopping link. If I plot the Highland and Aberdeen centres, that may well be what I'm after, so thanks again.

Further edited to add: Done it. Looks pretty straightforward. The Sobeys by the bridge looks like a bonus for being on the west side. I would imagine the occasional taxi to almost anywhere would be under a tenner?

Last edited by BristolUK; Jul 31st 2008 at 11:17 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

Presuming there is a decent taxi service?

In Bridgetown, we have one taxi driver but she finishes at 8pm to go to get p***ed. Not kidding.

I would become a taxi driver but the situation would not change

Rachel
Old Aug 1st 2008, 5:18 am
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Westside is close to Sobeys, there's a blockbuster, booze shop and a couple of other store there too. It's right next to the bridge into town too, lots of shops there. In easy walking distance you've also got a couple of furniture stores, a DIY store, dairy queen and a tim hortons then up to superstore then the mall (probably 15-20mins walk from the westside homes).

Lots of nice houses in the west side area, it has the reputation of being the posh part of town. In between sobeys and the bridge is a park, heading through there and along by the river are a lot of fairly nice houses too.

Stellarton is a quiet little town, but lots of stores in easy walking distance.

East side New Glasgow and the other areas around town are less desirable and not all that practical without transport (especially in winter). The river really separates locations around the place, so living near a bridge (i.e. the west side one) would probably give you best access to most areas.

I saw quite a few buildings that looked like they could be malls, but they could just as easily be warehouses, DIY stores, offices, or anything of that nature to be honest.

I don't drive. I cycle and walk or bus but I know there are no buses. Being close enough to walk or ride to at least one big supermarket is obviously important. Somebody was kind enough to give me an example of a home for sale that was near to various amenities. When I look at MLS for other places in NG I check out mapquest to see where they are, but that doesn't tell me where it is in relation to walking/biking somewhere.

Thanks. I think I have that site in my faves. It certainly indicates a nice place to live...so do a couple of others.

Us non drivers are few and far between though and descriptions are geared to the majority. If I did make the move, obviously I'd visit to check things out beforehand. It would just be nice to know there were several possibilities of being near the essentials.

Edited to add:

Actually, I just had a look at the shopping link. If I plot the Highland and Aberdeen centres, that may well be what I'm after, so thanks again.

Further edited to add: Done it. Looks pretty straightforward. The Sobeys by the bridge looks like a bonus for being on the west side. I would imagine the occasional taxi to almost anywhere would be under a tenner?
Old Aug 1st 2008, 5:42 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Greenhill

East side New Glasgow and the other areas around town are less desirable and not all that practical without transport (especially in winter). The river really separates locations around the place, so living near a bridge (i.e. the west side one) would probably give you best access to most areas.
Thanks for all the info. In Moncton, we live just minutes away from the major road that links up with all the malls etc. We also have a school near us and these roads are cleared of snow very quickly. Getting out on my mountain bike to the big stores or on foot to nearby shops is never a problem.

Is snow clearance not that good on the East side of the river? Or perhaps it's that access to (quickly) cleared roads on the west side is easier than on the east side?
Old Aug 1st 2008, 6:22 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

They can be a bit slow to clear the snow around town yes, but that's generally the same everywhere, not just any particular location. They can be very slow to clear some sidewalks too - sometimes it can take them 2-3+ days if there's been a bad storm.

It's really more a case that stores are closer together on the west side, on the east side and heading out of town, places tend to be more separated, less choice and primarily designed for access by car.

Also, there are a lot of houses on the way to Trenton from the east side of town, but you'd still have to head up to the Aberdeen or west side sobeys for the big grocery order.

The Aberdeen mall has zellers and sobeys, central building supplies nearby and for fast food, kfc, subway, macdonalds and pizza delight all next door to each other. Cheaper houses around there too but that's really due to the perception that it's less desirable than other areas e.g. westside and the south side of Stellarton.

Thanks for all the info. In Moncton, we live just minutes away from the major road that links up with all the malls etc. We also have a school near us and these roads are cleared of snow very quickly. Getting out on my mountain bike to the big stores or on foot to nearby shops is never a problem.

Is snow clearance not that good on the East side of the river? Or perhaps it's that access to (quickly) cleared roads on the west side is easier than on the east side?
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

thedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud of

I could probably go on various sites and look at store locators and plot them on mapquest.

Or some kind soul might know of a map of NG with some of the stores or malls marked.

Is there a kind soul out there?
Hi there,

We live on the "West Side" of New Glasgow. I find there is enough in town for us, we are a family of 4 and our kids are still infants.
I came from Glasgow, UK and although there is no where near the amount of shops here there are more than enough for our needs.
If you want to know about New Glasgow life, let me know
Julie
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

thedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=rach_woz99;6634100]Presuming there is a decent taxi service?

There is a taxis service, in fact I think there are a few.
No public transport though
Julie