Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

New to the discussion forum

New to the discussion forum

Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:22 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to the discussion forum

Originally Posted by iaink
Rednecks...white unhypenated canadians with pickup truck / gun racks and right of center views. Optional plaid shirt and cowboy boots and chip on shoulder. Alberta has lots of them allegedly?
I would suggest that you'll find them in almost any rural area in Canada.

We don't have a monopoly on them here in Alberta even though some would have you believe that.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

They dont tend to have the gun racks or cowboy boots around here.

The politics in Alberta does tent to be a bit less liberal you have to admit.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:49 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
They dont tend to have the gun racks or cowboy boots around here.

The politics in Alberta does tent to be a bit less liberal you have to admit.
They don't have to have the gun rack and the cowboy boots to be a red neck. Lots of them in rural Ontario too, how do you explain Mike Harris.

I will admit politics out here are a tad more conservative than I would like but the times are a changin'. It'll take a while yet but they're changing.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
They don't have to have the gun rack and the cowboy boots to be a red neck. Lots of them in rural Ontario too, how do you explain Mike Harris.
People liked the idea of tax cuts? or didnt like the NDP?

I think it was more the city vote than the rural one that carried him to power. The rural areas tend to vote conservative all the time anyway, but there arent enough people outside of toronto to make any great difference
Old Nov 27th 2007, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

I never knew what a Redneck was until I meet my Father-in-law. Thank god my husband was raised by his mother.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 5:58 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikelesley
The areas we are quite drawn to are Vancouver Kamloops Lethbridge or Medicine Hat but saying that there are all the places inbetween aswell?
If you want some specific info on Kamloops, feel free to drop me a line
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:12 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I enquired in both BC and Alberta re my qualifications and yes I do have to re-qualify which is a bother, but if I have to then so be it, although I understand from 2011, i think it is, Canada is changing over the standards to bring them into line with the rest of the world so maybe i may fall lucky!
AAT is not recognized in Canada so you would struggle to get a well paid job in a larger company. In the Vancouver area there is a shortage of all types of workers, including accounting types, so it should be possible to get work with a smaller company where ability is much more important than a designation.

Canada will align its Generally Accepted Accounting Principles for public companies (c/f Big GAAP) with International Financial Reporting Standards by 2011. I understand the UK will do/has done the same. This is not going to help have your qualifications recognized. If you can upgrade the AAT to an ACCA designation there is a relatively painless was to become a CGA member. Otherwise, you will get some advanced standing in the CGA program.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Mikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to all

Hi all

Well i never expected so many replies - did I ask the right or wrong question on rednecks - well at least i know the meaning now. So much to learn?

My husband has not even started reading all these yet - he is blissfully happy in the bath at the moment - hopefully when he gets out he will add his own little bit to this.

Rich you said contact you - i would like to if that is ok - kamloops is one of our preferred areas but we are not sure about work/housing. We plan to visit again in April next year and hopefully finalize the place we want to settle in and I think the more knowledge we have the better it must be.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:41 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Rich you said contact you - i would like to if that is ok - kamloops is one of our preferred areas but we are not sure about work/housing. We plan to visit again in April next year and hopefully finalize the place we want to settle in and I think the more knowledge we have the better it must be.
To contact R I C H, click on his User Name in the top left hand corner of his post (message). That will take you to his British Expats profile, and from there you can send him a private message or an email.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:59 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Judy's kindly pointed you in the right direction to mail me - if you're out here in April it'd be a pleasure to show you around.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Judy's kindly pointed you in the right direction to mail me - if you're out here in April it'd be a pleasure to show you around.
Everyone's turning into Judy! This thread is turning into a parody of 'The Stepford Wives'.
Are all the members going to be replaced