NCA Exams

Old Oct 16th 2012, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice
Default Re: NCA Exams

Originally Posted by scheherazade
I am doing criminal and corporate in January; waiting for the results from the August foundations...
I'm over on a SOWP and we haven't even applied for PR yet so no rush as I can't be admitted to the Bar for a while yet (sigh).
Trouble is the nonsense 9th November deadline to register for January exams, that could (in reality) actually pass by before August results arrive

Thoughts on 'deadline' flexibility anyone?

FROTSUK
Old Oct 16th 2012, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

scheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud of

Absolutely no deadline flexibility according to a guy who was doing the August exam with me.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 4:59 pm
Lav
Just Joined

Lav is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

Has anyone sat for the property law exams? Does anyone have any notes or guidelines for it. I'd deeply appreciate any help on this. Please let me know.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Thanks all.

I was worried about the deadline issue too but NCA assured me they were flexible - it's always worth a try if necessary. Bar exams also had three month wait for results.

Lav - I sent a PM
Old Oct 18th 2012, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Merry
Thanks all.

I was worried about the deadline issue too but NCA assured me they were flexible - it's always worth a try if necessary. Bar exams also had three month wait for results.
Hello Merry - are you saying that the NCA permitted you to register for exams after the technical deadline had past by?

I had always sensibly assumed that as long as the numbers registered were not too high for a session, that the NCA would gladly take $ from late registers?

Thoughts or experiences welcome.

FROTSUK
Old Oct 19th 2012, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

I didn't need to in the end but I asked the NCA and they said that the deadline was flexible. Given that for 7 of my 8 exams I was the only one sitting them in Halifax, space was not an issue.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

London2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aberdeen_Loon
With a Scottish LLB and an English LLM I was granted absolutely zero advanced standing by the NCA. Nevertheless, I now have two Canadian lawyers reporting to me, and am co-authoring a book on Canadian law.

I'm now finding that I'm stuck in my career and need to be a qualified Canadian lawyer to progress any further. Strangely enough, I'm actually toying with the idea of doing more UK law courses and possibly a new part-time "executive LLM" (GPLLM) at the University of Toronto that includes up to five courses recognized for the Certificate of Qualification. Studying full-time at a Canadian law school is just not financially possible for me at this point (they make it so difficult for people who have careers or who are of relatively modest means to study law over here).

I applied to the NCA six years ago, but I'm hoping my quasi-legal work experience and the legal writing I've done, combined with additional UK and Canadian legal qualifications, will get me some advanced standing. From what I understand, the NCA has relaxed their requirements somewhat in recent years.

I feel so envious even when I hear about people who have to sit 10 NCA exams! If I had to sit all of them I'd do it in a heartbeat!
Hello, I just got my NCA review back. They want me to write 12 exams b/c my law degree is over 10 years old (UK). I was absolutely gutted at first but now I am gonna give it a go. Your post gave me some inspiration. So thank you. I wanted to let you know, that perhaps you should attempt to get another evaluation, as they more accepting of overseas qualifications in recent times. Thanks
Old Oct 21st 2012, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

London2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am writing Torts and Professional Responsibility in January 2013. Would love to hear from anyone else doing same. thanks
Old Oct 28th 2012, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Any of those who wrote at end August 2012 see any results, or any correspondence to date? ... thought not.

FROTSUK
Old Oct 28th 2012, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

scheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by FirstRatofftheShipUK
Any of those who wrote at end August 2012 see any results, or any correspondence to date? ... thought not.

FROTSUK
I'm not even expecting to see anything until the full 12 weeks is up!
Old Oct 29th 2012, 1:54 am
Just Joined

toniwharton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Up North
Toni, I bought the books direct from the publishers. I think there is a new edition of the Hogg Constitutional Law book out but the 2011 can still be used. Good luck!
Thank you. I bought most of them from the University of Toronto book shop, but bought a few direct from the publisher, as they were cheaper. Where you taking the exams/studying?

I have started studying for them and am somewhat worried that a whole day in the library didn't even put a dent in the Foundations and Criminal Syllibi!
Old Oct 29th 2012, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Anyone need a study partner (even if only for motivation purposes!) in the Toronto area for the 4 core exams & Corporate?

At the min I'm going to Richview library 2 days a week (only days I could get childcare!)
Old Oct 29th 2012, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toniwharton
Thank you. I bought most of them from the University of Toronto book shop, but bought a few direct from the publisher, as they were cheaper. Where you taking the exams/studying?

I have started studying for them and am somewhat worried that a whole day in the library didn't even put a dent in the Foundations and Criminal Syllibi!
I remember when I received my Admin documents back from the NCA. The syllabus was the contents page of one of the recommended texts - all 1800 pages of the text.

You need to bear in mind that the way Canadians appear to mark exams is very different to what you are used to in the UK. Very few fail anything. Believe me, you have little to worry about.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 12:01 am
Just Joined

Up North is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by toniwharton

Hi Toni,

I am in Fort St. John, BC and am thinking about enrolling on the distance learning option at Osgoode Hall Law. I have not looked at Foundations or Criminal yet but know what you mean about lack of dents!

Has anyone used Osgoode Law?

Good luck!
Old Oct 31st 2012, 12:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I remember when I received my Admin documents back from the NCA. The syllabus was the contents page of one of the recommended texts - all 1800 pages of the text.

You need to bear in mind that the way Canadians appear to mark exams is very different to what you are used to in the UK. Very few fail anything. Believe me, you have little to worry about.
Thank you, makes me feel a little better!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.