Naturopaths....

Old May 27th 2016, 8:00 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Naturopaths....

Soooo. Imagine a fictitious scenario as of course I cant cite true cases ()

A 48 year old woman- severe and worsening headache in the back of her head, attends her chiropractor who treats her for three days with an assortment of presumably manipulations - the symptoms were not improving, in fact getting worse. The chiropractor did not point the patient to their GP/ER.
The following day, the pain had become so severe, the patient attended ER and then subsequently just after initial assessment prior to her getting a CT scan collapsed and deteriorated rapidly becoming unconscious.

The diagnosis was a massive subarachnoid hemorrhage, a bleed into the brain as a result of dissection of the vertebral artery which is the artery entering the back of the skull from the neck. The poor woman was ventilated and in intensive care. The outcome is unclear, she may well not survive.
Now it is always easy with the benefit of hindsight, but had such a patient had the opportunity to be pointed in my direction, anyone with severe occipital/back of the head pain is considered a subarachnoid hemorrhage until proven otherwise. One has to consider that manipulation may have aggravated or indeed precipitated things, obviously, it is difficult to say, but I have to think that these practitioners should be aware of potential red flag symptoms and these patients should be referred on to a registered medical practitioner/ER otherwise patients as in this case may well suffer unnecessarily.

Last edited by Stinkypup; May 27th 2016 at 8:12 am.
Old May 27th 2016, 6:01 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I have to think that these practitioners should be aware of potential red flag symptoms and these patients should be referred on to a registered medical practitioner/ER otherwise patients as in this case may well suffer unnecessarily.
You and your crazy new aged logic
Old May 27th 2016, 6:11 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
You and your crazy new aged logic
Old May 28th 2016, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

To the great dismay of people I know who use chiropractors I call them quackopractors.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 7:24 pm
I need a walk

Soooo. Imagine a fictitious scenario as of course I cant cite true cases ()

A 48 year old woman- severe and worsening headache in the back of her head, attends her chiropractor who treats her for three days with an assortment of presumably manipulations - the symptoms were not improving, in fact getting worse. The chiropractor did not point the patient to their GP/ER.
The following day, the pain had become so severe, the patient attended ER and then subsequently just after initial assessment prior to her getting a CT scan collapsed and deteriorated rapidly becoming unconscious.

The diagnosis was a massive subarachnoid hemorrhage, a bleed into the brain as a result of dissection of the vertebral artery which is the artery entering the back of the skull from the neck. The poor woman was ventilated and in intensive care. The outcome is unclear, she may well not survive.
Now it is always easy with the benefit of hindsight, but had such a patient had the opportunity to be pointed in my direction, anyone with severe occipital/back of the head pain is considered a subarachnoid hemorrhage until proven otherwise. One has to consider that manipulation may have aggravated or indeed precipitated things, obviously, it is difficult to say, but I have to think that these practitioners should be aware of potential red flag symptoms and these patients should be referred on to a registered medical practitioner/ER otherwise patients as in this case may well suffer unnecessarily.
Just a very sad followup on this very unfortunate case. Despite fighting hard and seeming to initially rally, sadly following a seemingly fairly good early recovery she subsequently deteriorated very fast and unfortunately suffered brain death.

It doesn't really matter how long one has been practicing medicine, it still hit me very hard. Obviously when one loses somebody it can be hard but she had 2 children, a 15-year-old and an 18-year-old who are now left without a mum along with a widowed husband. Thankfully, she certainly did an amazing thing by donating her organs so that many people could benefit following her death.

I have since learned that chiropractors get patients to sign some sort of waiver presumably to try and avoid subsequent litigation were the worst is to happen. I think that there is considerable evidence that chiropractic treatment can cause stroke and in this case could well have been directly involved in her death and I have to say this simply reinforces my thoughts with regard to chiropractic treatment especially in such potentially dangerous manipulations. She continued to experience worsening symptoms, symptoms which were certainly to the educated eye, red flag symptoms that should have resulted in her being sent for an emergency assessment and subsequent treatment. Such action possibly may have saved her life, unfortunately however no one could say whether this would have been the case or not.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jun 17th 2016 at 7:32 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 7:30 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I may be a dumb hick but why would one go to said Chiro if one was suffering headaches ?
Old Jun 18th 2016, 7:36 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Tangram
I may be a dumb hick but why would one go to said Chiro if one was suffering headaches ?
Not a dumb question at all. Any complaint weirdly seems to be fair game for chiropractors, as long as they get paid, however little evidence for benefit... They would justify it as osteoarthritis of the neck can cause headaches especially in the back of the head. Sadly so can intra-cranial bleeds
Old Jun 18th 2016, 7:48 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Usually a glass of nighttime rainwater infused with cayenne does the trick for intra-cranial bother.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 7:51 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Shard
Usually a glass of nighttime rainwater infused with cayenne does the trick for intra-cranial bother.
Also good for that awful vague sense of unease
Old Jun 18th 2016, 7:59 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 18th 2016, 8:42 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely a "get in the sack" ..... along with Ronaldo
Old Jun 18th 2016, 12:37 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Just a very sad followup on this very unfortunate case. Despite fighting hard and seeming to initially rally, sadly following a seemingly fairly good early recovery she subsequently deteriorated very fast and unfortunately suffered brain death.

It doesn't really matter how long one has been practicing medicine, it still hit me very hard. Obviously when one loses somebody it can be hard but she had 2 children, a 15-year-old and an 18-year-old who are now left without a mum along with a widowed husband. Thankfully, she certainly did an amazing thing by donating her organs so that many people could benefit following her death.

I have since learned that chiropractors get patients to sign some sort of waiver presumably to try and avoid subsequent litigation were the worst is to happen. I think that there is considerable evidence that chiropractic treatment can cause stroke and in this case could well have been directly involved in her death and I have to say this simply reinforces my thoughts with regard to chiropractic treatment especially in such potentially dangerous manipulations. She continued to experience worsening symptoms, symptoms which were certainly to the educated eye, red flag symptoms that should have resulted in her being sent for an emergency assessment and subsequent treatment. Such action possibly may have saved her life, unfortunately however no one could say whether this would have been the case or not.
I'm really sorry about your patient. I think her husband should pursue a complaint with the relevant licensing board in BC.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 12:39 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I'm really sorry about your patient. I think her husband should pursue a complaint with the relevant licensing board in BC.
Thanks -I bloody hope he does Dorothy..
Old Aug 9th 2016, 8:59 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Now it seems some of the athletes are using some bonkers idea of "cupping" to help them somehow recover or heal. There was even some bloke on the the tv from the US Olympics coaching staff, that when pressed about the efficacy of the practice said, "there's no scientific evidence but . . . "
Old Aug 9th 2016, 9:34 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
..."cupping"...
I just looked that up.

It sounds remarkably like a device I once saw a friend told me about in a B&D movie.