Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

National Anthem at school.

National Anthem at school.

Old Sep 28th 2021, 7:36 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: National Anthem at school.

Originally Posted by Mordko
In England the law says that all pupils in state schools must take part in an act of daily superstitious nonsense of prayer. And most of the time (by law) it has to be Christian. That’s to do with non-separation of church and state. Parents must specifically request for their kids to be excluded from the religious ritual every other kid is taking part in, which is in itself an act of religious discrimination.

Many schools, particularly secondary ones, do not follow the law, but your luck of avoiding Christian indoctrination very much depends on where you live.
Daily prayer ? What law is that ? In any case, Britain is now very much an atheist country with churches across the land being turned into cafes, bars or flats. So any theoretcial state induced religous indoctrination is not having much of an affect. In my experience there is far more religous faith in Canada than in Britain, probably a geographical hazzard of being next door to those bible bashers to the south.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 8:22 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

More importantly does anyone still stand for The Allelujah Chorus?
Old Sep 28th 2021, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Daily prayer ? What law is that ? In any case, Britain is now very much an atheist country with churches across the land being turned into cafes, bars or flats. So any theoretcial state induced religous indoctrination is not having much of an affect. In my experience there is far more religous faith in Canada than in Britain, probably a geographical hazzard of being next door to those bible bashers to the south.
The law is called “education act”. It was a problem for me in the 90s as we couldn’t find local schools in England that didn’t do this BS enforcement. Whether people next door are religious or not is none of my business and certainly not a “hazard”.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 10:05 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I remember this law from 1990 or so, current law seems to be from 1998
From Wikipedia "The law on compulsory collective worship was first introduced by Section 25 of the 1944 Education Act The legislation was subsequently developed by the Education Reform Act 1988 by Chapter III of the Education Act 1996 and, most recently, by the School Standards and Framework Act 1998"

Maybe things are a-changing?
"Young more likely to pray than over-55s - survey"
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58681075

Last edited by kimilseung; Sep 28th 2021 at 10:14 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

Law or not, one would assume that enforced Christian praying was part of the school system going all the way back to the good times when the church in England used to burn women, Jews and heretics.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 10:29 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't this the Canadian Anthem?

In England, I went to a local "grant school" (fee paying but reduced) and to a small private school, and at both we had hymns and prayers every morning, but zero national anthem.

Old Sep 30th 2021, 11:43 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I remember this law from 1990 or so, current law seems to be from 1998
From Wikipedia "The law on compulsory collective worship was first introduced by Section 25 of the 1944 Education Act The legislation was subsequently developed by the Education Reform Act 1988 by Chapter III of the Education Act 1996 and, most recently, by the School Standards and Framework Act 1998"

Maybe things are a-changing?
"Young more likely to pray than over-55s - survey"
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58681075
Well, yes, the burgeoning medievil crowd are likely to impact the statistics. All the more reason to ban faith schools. Paradoxically, one the unintended outcomes of the Taliban returning to power in Afghanistan is that it might persuade some cloak wearers to take Western freedoms more seriously.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 5:48 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

What would be brilliant if everybody sang a different national anthem at the same time?

I got to say as national anthems go, the Soviet Union one is the best ever.

Last edited by Oink; Oct 5th 2021 at 6:54 am.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 1:33 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Oink;13058654]What would be brilliant if everybody sang a different national anthem at the same time?

As best exemplified in "The Hunt for Red October".... (We schail into history skip to 2.35ish)

Old Oct 5th 2021, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oink
What would be brilliant if everybody sang a different national anthem at the same time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvvZX3G3I8o
Different people have different tastes, as far as the songs of mass murdering totalitarian regimes are concerned.

Old Oct 5th 2021, 1:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 5th 2021, 1:54 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 10th 2021, 8:37 am
Yo

Originally Posted by Oink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvvZX3G3I8o
Great idea, and yes Sovietski gets the gold in anthems !
Old Oct 12th 2021, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So who here thinks that playing the National Anthem each day before school starts is somewhat archaic and should be done away with?

It honestly doesn't bother me much, but overall I feel that that's a bit out of place for school if it's an every day event.

I'd rather say it's good for military things, remembrance ceremonies, etc... Something where state, government or military are involved, not schooling. Unless it's teaching about Canada.
Old Oct 13th 2021, 11:03 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
It honestly doesn't bother me much, but overall I feel that that's a bit out of place for school if it's an every day event.

I'd rather say it's good for military things, remembrance ceremonies, etc... Something where state, government or military are involved, not schooling. Unless it's teaching about Canada.
I have never quite understood why the military have been allowed in many cultures, to take ownership of cultural assets such as flags and anthems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.