Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

National Anthem at school.

National Anthem at school.

Old Sep 22nd 2021, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default National Anthem at school.

So who here thinks that playing the National Anthem each day before school starts is somewhat archaic and should be done away with?

Of course up until yesterday this was never an issue but it is now. Considering the way Canada has treated Indigenous people who could blame one for not standing up when the National Anthem being played at school.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...-cbc-1.6179258

I attended a catholic school in the UK and I believe we said the Lords Prayer at assembly (if I made it on time) but we never had the National Anthem. I believe most US schools do the Pledge of Allegiance. So is a kid who is not a Canadian expected to stand for an anthem that is not theirs? Every hockey and football game they play it but it is never heard inside a UK football stadium unless an International match. I think it is played too much at places where not required. Sure if the leader of a foreign country is in attendance and I was present I would stand for both anthems but daily at school forget it.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 9:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: National Anthem at school.

I was taught, and follow it today, that one stands out of respect for the country whose anthem it is. If I'm in the UK and your anthem is played, then I would stand out of respect. I've done the same when in Canada when O Canada has played.

Old Sep 22nd 2021, 9:58 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

In Thailand, their national anthem is played (and you are expected to stand) before every movie starts at the Cinema! Not standing is illegal.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't worry me!

I went through the state system in England, and at both primary and grammar school we had morning assembly, with a hymn, a prayer and a reading, and this was then followed by general announcements for the day.

The primary school was attached to an Anglican church, and all pupils above the age of 7 went to the church every Thursday morning, for a serviced led by the vicar.

My daughter went to a private Anglican-based school here, they also had morning assembly but no national anthem.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 11:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I was a little surprised attending my first high school graduation ceremony over here and heard it.
But they've been doing it in the mornings here a fair bit.

On weekends, CBC starts its 6.00am broadcast with different versions.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 4:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I had no idea it was even done.

Reprimanding a student seems a little harsh though over it, even in my California schools they were not that harsh and that was in the 80's and 90's, standing and participating was optional for the pledge, but by 9th grade the schools completely did away with the pledge too, the ones I went to.

Old Sep 23rd 2021, 7:41 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK there is no national anthem at school, though with this current bunch of flag-shaggers in charge I wouldn't be surprised if it's proposed at some point. Personally I'd be against such a mandatory imposition, not least because the lyrics of the UK national anthem are "God Save Our Gracious Queen" and I neither believe in God nor think that the Queen needs saving.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK all schools have to have a daily act of collective worship, most of which has to be Christian. National Anthem is meant to unite kids rather than divide them and does not try to instil religious superstition.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 1:07 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the USA. I am a teacher, the US anthem is only played at assemblies that happen a few times a year. I do not stand, when it was just about me, I used to not sit down in the first place, I didnt turn to the flag or put my hand on my heart. Since Kapernick, I make sure I am sitting and that I am seen to remain sitting, I consider it to my way of providing a kind of authority figure that is modeling civic engagement, utilizing Constitutional rights, and resistance to peer pressure. I understand this might not be fully applicable to Canada.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll stand for O'Canada simply from peer pressure to do so, I don't want to be the odd duck out as well very few sit during it.

Old Sep 24th 2021, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I'll stand for O'Canada simply from peer pressure to do so, I don't want to be the odd duck out as well very few sit during it.
So if you were in a bar and the hockey/football game was on numerous TV's in the bar and the NA was played would you stand?
There is a place and time for the NA and for us to respect the anthems but IMHO played at school everyday is a bit too much.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So if you were in a bar and the hockey/football game was on numerous TV's in the bar and the NA was played would you stand?
There is a place and time for the NA and for us to respect the anthems but IMHO played at school everyday is a bit too much.
If everyone else is standing yes just to not stand out, if others were still sitting, probably not, I simply don't want attention drawn to myself and if 99% of the group stands, well you draw attention to yourself.

So far in 17 years there has only been 2 events I have attended that played it, a hockey game in 2005, and a school play around the same era, so me going anywhere that the anthem would be played is pretty much rare and not part of my normal life and really not something that I need to worry about.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 24th 2021 at 7:30 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Skyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond repute

At a recent High school graduation in Alberta, Land of Hope and Glory was played throughout the students awards.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 6:17 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I was a little surprised attending my first high school graduation ceremony over here and heard it.
But they've been doing it in the mornings here a fair bit.

On weekends, CBC starts its 6.00am broadcast with different versions.
I knew you could do it if you put your mind to it. Congratulations.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 10:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I knew you could do it if you put your mind to it. Congratulations.

Even more remarkable when you consider it was all done in French

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.