My new motor

Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My new motor

Originally Posted by iaink
(ex Jeep Cherokee owner...back only recently recovered!)
Really? My son just bought an old one of those for $2000 (1989 with 289k) on the clock for his winter vehicle. It's already broken down on him twice...lol and cost him a small fortune in repairs and bits and bobs (inside is good though, leather and loaded - it's a 'limited' with the gold bits/trim - nothing but the best for him, little snob...lol) The paint's coming off on the roof and the bonnet though, so it looks awful.

He's been up and down to Edmonton a few times in it, and hasn't mentioned it being uncomfortable; I must ask him about that!
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
Really? My son just bought an old one of those for $2000 (1989 with 289k) on the clock for his winter vehicle. It's already broken down on him twice...lol and cost him a small fortune in repairs and bits and bobs (inside is good though, leather and loaded - it's a 'limited' with the gold bits/trim - nothing but the best for him, little snob...lol) The paint's coming off on the roof and the bonnet though, so it looks awful.

He's been up and down to Edmonton a few times in it, and hasn't mentioned it being uncomfortable; I must ask him about that!
Jeep...just empty every pocket

Whats he had to compare it too though? Mine was a '98, new when I landed. It was OK, and served a purpose in improving confidence against weather / large trucks, and seemed fine, right up until I drove the Subaru, at which point it magically became really crap in comparison. Wind and engine noise, thirst, non independent live axles, general ..truckness...I guess. Not for me anymore.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 5th 2007 at 8:13 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Whats he had to compare it too though? The cherokee was fine, right up until I drove the Subaru. Wind and engine noise, non independent live axles, general ..truckness...I guess. Not for me anymore.
LOL iain, I'll pass that on to him! (Jeep)

His other 'good' car (which he left in the driveway to 'protect' it from the ice and snow and peeps that can't drive in the winter - for me to reverse into and leave a nice dent ), is my old one; A 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, which he's modded himself with fancy new chrome wheels, tinted windows and other bits and bobs! That and the ol' jalopy of a Safari van of ours that he learnt to drive in, is all that he has to compare it to (aside from a few test drives in various others). The GTP is a very firm ride - but I much prefer it that way.

*sigh* I miss driving a car (and I WANT an RS4 - but I can dream.....)
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

(and I WANT an RS4 - but I can dream.....)
Dont we all? But that would make the GTP seem like a soft sprung Cadi in comparison I hear.

I used to drive a Grand Prix through work, and it was very capable of eating up those highway miles. I have considered getting one when the Subaru finally expires, on the grounds that they are cheap and plentiful and a decent size. Never quite got on with the red backlighting and the one left hand stalk to control every single function of the vehicle though!
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:40 pm
fortune favours the brave

poppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nice

LOL iain, I'll pass that on to him! (Jeep)

His other 'good' car (which he left in the driveway to 'protect' it from the ice and snow and peeps that can't drive in the winter - for me to reverse into and leave a nice dent ), is my old one; A 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, which he's modded himself with fancy new chrome wheels, tinted windows and other bits and bobs! That and the ol' jalopy of a Safari van of ours that he learnt to drive in, is all that he has to compare it to (aside from a few test drives in various others). The GTP is a very firm ride - but I much prefer it that way.

If God granted me one wish,then sod world peace or the end of suffering for small children trapped in eternal poverty(sorry God) just please please let me own a DB9 at some point in my life.Even just having it parked in my garage so I can salivate over it all day will suffice.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

(ex Jeep Cherokee owner...back only recently recovered!)
iaink - says he finds it very comfy; apparently the "Limited" has different seats and are much better. So that must be why.....
Old Mar 5th 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dont we all? But that would make the GTP seem like a soft sprung Cadi in comparison I hear.

I used to drive a Grand Prix through work, and it was very capable of eating up those highway miles. I have considered getting one when the Subaru finally expires, on the grounds that they are cheap and plentiful and a decent size. Never quite got on with the red backlighting and the one left hand stalk to control every single function of the vehicle though!
Hmmmm, even if I was lucky enough to get one, I wouldn't be able to test drive it first as it's special order only! If it's much harder, it may be a problem (though the GTP suspension isn't the same as the regular Grand Prix, it's considerably firmer).

Are you saying you would consider the new Grand Prix? (Mine was a 2000, the previous design). I test drove the new one when it came out. It was a step up from my GTP, in terms of power @ 260HP vs 240HP; but Iwasn't very impressed with it. Sure, it was quick; but it had a "flappy paddle" gear box (in the words of Jeremy Clarkson), which I hated with a passion! It certainly felt much less of a drivers car than the previous one IMO! I felt they'd "lost" it in the re-design. The rear seat was a complete disaster in terms of comfort, and was far too 'flat', it had almost no slope at all; which isn't very comfy when sitting in a car. I also didn't like the exterior look at first but it has grown on me since.

I tested some other Audi's too. Even the standard 1.8T A4 is a surprisingly nippy little car and the build quality was the best I've seen. The All-road was equally impressive, but they've dis-continued it (to be resurrected later I heard). Maybe I'll have to settle for one o' them - at least I wouldn't be so likely to collect those pretty yellow pieces of paper from those nice men in crown victoria's

Last edited by Calgal; Mar 5th 2007 at 10:44 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 11:31 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Whats he had to compare it too though? Mine was a '98, new when I landed. It was OK, and served a purpose in improving confidence against weather / large trucks, and seemed fine, right up until I drove the Subaru, at which point it magically became really crap in comparison. Wind and engine noise, thirst, non independent live axles, general ..truckness...I guess. Not for me anymore.
The Cherokee or XJ is actually sought after by jeep enthusiasts because of the live non IFS axles. Makes for better offroad performance and easier to lift.

Jeeps share much with that other offroad Icon, Land Rover in terms of pure crappy build quality. My first Liberty was a dog, the second, so far (6 mths) touch wood seems better and does at least have a diesel engine which makes it less of a drain financially! Still, they do have that 'proper offroader' thing going on which kinda makes it all worthwhile. I'd love a Wrangler unlimited, preferably with a diesel in it. That's never going to happen though.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 11:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The Cherokee or XJ is actually sought after by jeep enthusiasts because of the live non IFS axles. Makes for better offroad performance and easier to lift.

Jeeps share much with that other offroad Icon, Land Rover in terms of pure crappy build quality. My first Liberty was a dog, the second, so far (6 mths) touch wood seems better and does at least have a diesel engine which makes it less of a drain financially! Still, they do have that 'proper offroader' thing going on which kinda makes it all worthwhile. I'd love a Wrangler unlimited, preferably with a diesel in it. That's never going to happen though.
I know of a slightly lifted Cherokee on offer here for US$500, it's presentable enough. A mate bought it to get home from Boston so the registration's MA. The seller wanted to keep the MA plates and gave my mate a pair of NC ones which he's using now. It's too much to insure the thing here so he's using one of those car share services (zip car ? zippy car ? zipper car ?) and just wants what he paid for it. If it was convertible I'd buy it but it's not and I don't really get hard top vehicles.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 12:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The Cherokee or XJ is actually sought after by jeep enthusiasts because of the live non IFS axles. Makes for better offroad performance and easier to lift. (
Off road performance being the operative words in my opinion. To be fair my jeep was well enough built and had no major defects in the time I had it, I just didnt care for the strange combination of bouncy and hard ride, poor steering feedback and poor fuel economy and general noise. It was miles better than the grand cherokee I tested though for driving feel!

If you intend to spend some serious time off the beaten track its a good choice, but if you are sticking to blacktop I just dont see the point, Ive never yet been in a situation where I wished my GT had more ground clearance. Im just not a truck sort of guy I guess
Old Mar 6th 2007, 12:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Ive never yet been in a situation where I wished my GT had more ground clearance.
That's odd because the two things that have caused me to be unable to get about are lack of vision and lack of ground clearance. There's not much to do about blowing snow but something higher would be useful from time to time so as to avoid having to wait for the plough or to be able to smash through the mounds left by the plough.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 1:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's odd because the two things that have caused me to be unable to get about are lack of vision and lack of ground clearance. There's not much to do about blowing snow but something higher would be useful from time to time so as to avoid having to wait for the plough or to be able to smash through the mounds left by the plough.

LOL, I don't think I live quite so far off the beaten track as you do now, and of course it helps that my drive is about 40ft long at best. My street is a school bus route too, so it get ploughed pretty efficiently.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 1:23 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sure our rental car is going to be a pontiac G6 not looking forward to that after reading these posts My last cars here have been Audi a4 and a6 both diesel and at the present its a C class diesel, does nobody drive diesel there?

Also what about the Grand cherokee or is that rubbish as well I notice they are a lot cheaper there than here.

Think I might upgrade to ford taurus (think thats what its called)
Old Mar 6th 2007, 1:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

LOL, I don't think I live quite so far off the beaten track as you do now, and of course it helps that my drive is about 40ft long at best. My street is a school bus route too, so it get ploughed pretty efficiently.
I am some glad we ended up with a house near the road rather than at the back of an acreage. On the way in I pass a few driveway entrances with vehicles parked next to them and wonder about the sanity of people who get up and snowshoe to the car.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 1:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by mclauchlan35
I'm sure our rental car is going to be a pontiac G6 not looking forward to that after reading these posts My last cars here have been Audi a4 and a6 both diesel and at the present its a C class diesel, does nobody drive diesel there?

Also what about the Grand cherokee or is that rubbish as well I notice they are a lot cheaper there than here.

Think I might upgrade to ford taurus (think thats what its called)
One can buy diesel cars but there's even more of a shortage of diesel than of petrol. The farmer who ploughs the snow for us cautioned against our getting a diesel tractor unless we can qualify legally as a farm and so have access to off road fuel; he said it's only that that keeps his truck running. There's been no diesel at the local fuel stations for a week and a half.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.