My new motor

Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:04 am
fortune favours the brave

poppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nice
Default My new motor

I'm very proud of myself. Just collected my first Canadian car and drove it home all by myself.Very nervous,wrong side of the car,wrong side of the road,automatic when all I've ever driven is a manual,Deerfoot in rush hour.Also I haven't driven since we arrived 3 months ago, but I got home safe and sound.
1992 Ford Explorer XLT bought from regal auctions for $1400.Not exactly luxury travel but I love it just like Emily loved Bagpuss
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 11:32 am
Happy as a pig in treacle

claire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud of
Default Re: My new motor

well done you, hubby did all the driving when we were over last week, am definately going to have a driving lesson before I start! Its the bloomin traffic lights? What's all that about turning right on a red?
claire
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:05 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

You need to pick up a book similar to the highway code book in the UK. Each province may have a variation to their rules so don't borrow Johnnie from NF if you live in BC. I need to sit my driving test here soon as we only have 90-days in which to do so after we land Here are a few things I have picked up on:
  • You can turn right at a red light if it is safe to do so unless there is a sign posted that says you can't turn right on a red light
  • Rules for crosswalk lines and imaginary crosswalk lines
  • Rules for school buses
  • Pedestrians - knowing when to cross at traffic lights when there is NO 'walk' or 'don't walk' sign. Bet its the opposite of what you think ie you follow the same lights as the traffic in the direction you are going. Is that clear as mud If I am correct, in the UK we would walk when the lights are at 'stop' - here you wait til they are green then walk (traffic has to stop for you)
  • 4-way intersection (junction) - take it in turn to move (yup, can see that not working in UK )
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Girls

Have got to say that driving in Canada is NOTHING like the UK !!!

Claire - get your head around the traffice lights and you will be fine - I have always driven around the town we are going to b ut last year took the plunge to drive in Calgary so much less stressful it was a doddle !!

Gaynor

ps we also have a new car - yet to see it in the flesh but hubby and my friend and cousin say its fab - a 2006 Pontiac Torrent

x
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:53 pm

claire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Girls

Have got to say that driving in Canada is NOTHING like the UK !!!

Claire - get your head around the traffice lights and you will be fine - I have always driven around the town we are going to b ut last year took the plunge to drive in Calgary so much less stressful it was a doddle !!

Gaynor

ps we also have a new car - yet to see it in the flesh but hubby and my friend and cousin say its fab - a 2006 Pontiac Torrent

x
Thanks Gaynor, I think your right, the automatic thing and driving on the other side of the road don't bother me, it is just the lights But the standard of driving is better than some other european countries I've driven in!
C
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 2:08 pm
fortune favours the brave

poppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
You need to pick up a book similar to the highway code book in the UK. Each province may have a variation to their rules so don't borrow Johnnie from NF if you live in BC. I need to sit my driving test here soon as we only have 90-days in which to do so after we land Here are a few things I have picked up on:
  • You can turn right at a red light if it is safe to do so unless there is a sign posted that says you can't turn right on a red light
  • Rules for crosswalk lines and imaginary crosswalk lines
  • Rules for school buses
  • Pedestrians - knowing when to cross at traffic lights when there is NO 'walk' or 'don't walk' sign. Bet its the opposite of what you think ie you follow the same lights as the traffic in the direction you are going. Is that clear as mud If I am correct, in the UK we would walk when the lights are at 'stop' - here you wait til they are green then walk (traffic has to stop for you)
  • 4-way intersection (junction) - take it in turn to move (yup, can see that not working in UK )
Is it correct that you also turn left on a red light as long as there are no pedestrians and you are joining a one way street?

Luckily we live in Airdrie so it's nice and quiet and I can get a bit more confidence.
I passed my test later in life than most,2 years ago at the age of 34.Had my provisional at 17 and started then stopped lessons several times due to nerves.Had a really nasty road trafffic accident,as a pedestrian believe it or not, but that completely put me off being anywhere near cars.I had a massive driving phobia and was a terrible passenger but then one day I suddenly woke up and thought this is ridiculous I have GOT to learn to drive.Passed my theory with 100% and practical first time.Passing my test was a HUGE thing for me to overcome.
Nervous about it when we first got here and hubby bought F150 which I refuse to drive as it's far to big for me to park.
But as I sit here I'm feeling ok about it all,and it feels great to have my independance back
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 3:05 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you can ever turn left on a red light unless there is a green arrow or flashing green light (like the UK filter light). Otherwise stay put.

Driving on the right isn't so bad probably because you also sit on the right-hand side of the car. Therefore the driver should always sit towards the middle of the road and never kerbside - same as the UK. Automatic cars are also much easier than manual gearbox. On the downside it was easier to control a manual car in the ice and snow by changing down in gear instead of relying on the brakes.

Well done at overcoming your fears and passing your test. I am a bit nervous about sitting my test. I love driving and think I am a pretty good but I am just nervous incase I fail due to being unfamiliar with the roads here, and use UK terminology during the theory exam. Most of the road markings are barely visible and is covered in salt. I plan to sit my theory in 2 weeks time so fingers crossed
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 3:15 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
I don't think you can ever turn left on a red light unless there is a green arrow or flashing green light (like the UK filter light). Otherwise stay put.
You can turn left on a red light from a one way street to another one way street if it is safe to do so.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 3:19 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by claire bob and matt
well done you, hubby did all the driving when we were over last week, am definately going to have a driving lesson before I start! Its the bloomin traffic lights? What's all that about turning right on a red?
claire

A little reading material for you it'll explain the red light thing (in Chapter 4).

http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/INFT...frontcover.htm

If you would prefer a PDF version of this book then here is a link to the page where you can download it.

Also there are links to motorcycle handbooks and professional drivers handbooks too.

http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/Driv...aminations.htm

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Steve_P; Mar 3rd 2007 at 4:13 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 9:18 pm

Thanks Steve
Old Mar 4th 2007, 1:06 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

we also have a new car - yet to see it in the flesh but hubby and my friend and cousin say its fab - a 2006 Pontiac Torrent

x
OH FOOK Phil was seen coming. He's soon gonna regret that purchase (and yea I am being serious).
Old Mar 4th 2007, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
OH FOOK Phil was seen coming. He's soon gonna regret that purchase (and yea I am being serious).
Oh please BC - dont say that He loves this car and he has never had a 4 x 4 before (that was my suggestion)

Any suggestions for a run a round for me ? must have 4 doors
Old Mar 4th 2007, 1:24 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh please BC - dont say that He loves this car and he has never had a 4 x 4 before (that was my suggestion)

Any suggestions for a run a round for me ? must have 4 doors
How big? Looking at Leth I'd be tempted to say:
a Honda Fit (if BIG isnt an issue).
Saturn Ion (not too old)
ANYTHING at all Subaru
Dodge Caliber (ok they are crap but look good IMHO)
Old Mar 4th 2007, 2:01 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

My new ride.... great fuel ecomony, no insurance costs, easy to park, bell, air-con, stickers and apparently I'm stylin'
Attached Thumbnails My new motor-pimpinmyride.jpg  
Old Mar 4th 2007, 2:19 am
Banned

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
My new ride.... great fuel ecomony, no insurance costs, easy to park, bell, air-con, stickers and apparently I'm stylin'
So would you recommend the Chilli Club???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.