Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

multiculturalism in Canada

Wikiposts

multiculturalism in Canada

Old Mar 28th 2009, 4:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: multiculturalism in Canada

Originally Posted by dbd33
does your support for the American ideal extend to merging with them?
No that's as far as it goes.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 5:52 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Not too sure what the question is, however I have always viewed Canada as less of a melting pot than it is perceived. In Canada many see themselves as their native nationality first and Canadian second. In the US they are more of a melded society, American first and foremost and where they originated second.

Personally I prefer the American outlook.
Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I heartily agree with you. However, I believe the same thought process exists in other countries that have experienced large influxes of immigrants in recent years. The patriotism existing in the USA with most residents does not exist here or in most other countries.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No, a reference, not a wiki article. There's complete and general agreement that humans did not inhabit north america until about 20,000 years ago.

There's also no doubt that they arrived from Asia via the Bering Straits land bridge. It's true that some evidence (but no proof) exists for an earlier sparse arrival further south by boat from the pacific islands , but to characterize that tenuous theory as demonstrating an earlier "indigenous population" of Canada and the US is nonsense.

This link will take you a great deal longer to read than a wiki article, but might be more helpful.

http://www.questia.com/read/6683698?...st%20Americans

Cheers.
There are a few different theories of how the first North Americans got here. The first thing to remember is that the Indigenous peoples of North America are not all the same people and they formed different nations that had their own language, customs, stories of creation, etc. The Beothuk people of Newfoundland were virtually extinct from disease brought over from Europe before the Blackfoot peoples of the Prairies had more than a few sparse encounters with Europeans. The North America we know was formed over a few hundred years from east to west and is quite a unique and fascinating history that seems to get brushed off by not being considered "as old" as say Europe or Asian history. The theories of how Indigenous peoples came to NA are the common land bridge from the Bering Strait during the last ice age. This is a commonly accepted theory. One has to remember that the northern half of NA was still covered under a sheet of ice and that people would have migrated south from Alaska and the Yukon to southern NA and through to central and South America before moving to Eastern and Northern North America a few thousand years later.

Another theory that has recently gained strength through DNA testing is that some Indigenous North Americans came from Europe many years prior to the Bering Straight migration by traveling across the Atlantic via the ice flows during the last ice age. Sea levels were much lower than they are today and it is theorized the some European peoples from Spain and France hunted on the ice and either became lost or swept across the Atlantic on the ice. Spear points in Eastern North America bear a very close resemblance to those found in western Europe of the same age. It is likely that there were many sources of immigrants over a period of thousands of years.

Some interesting viewing when you have time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT0EW...A05C99&index=0

Today many of the First Nation peoples are of mixed indigenous and European decent of those Europeans that arrived in the last 500 years or so. Anyone that is considered 1/16 Indigenous can qualify as a First Nations person and receives a special status card under federal government law. The biggest problem that exists today is the reservations and the fact that these reservations are for the most part dependent on the federal government. Canada's biggest mistake was to treat the indigenous people like "savages" the way the early Brits and French had done and not as equals. The lingering effects of such policy are still very much noticeable and have trapped many people in a culture of shame and dependency on federal government handouts in order to survive.

Last edited by Lord Vader; Mar 28th 2009 at 6:05 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 6:10 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I wonder how many other 'multicultural' societies have reservations for their indigenous people?.
US springs to mind immediately.

I think a good yardstick of any country is to look at the cops... here they're pretty much all white, mostly male, frequently British. Speaks volumes.
RCMP (which AFAIK covers MORE of the country than any other force and therefore PROBABLY has the most officers) only admits CANADIAN Citizens.

YES I am being pedantic
Old Mar 29th 2009, 3:21 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The indigenous people in Canada or the US were displaced by those calling themselves First Nations.
Originally Posted by Lord Vader

There are a few different theories of how the first North Americans got here. The first thing to remember is that the Indigenous peoples of North America are not all the same people and they formed different nations that had their own language, customs, stories of creation, etc. The Beothuk people of Newfoundland were virtually extinct from disease brought over from Europe before the Blackfoot peoples of the Prairies had more than a few sparse encounters with Europeans. The North America we know was formed over a few hundred years from east to west and is quite a unique and fascinating history that seems to get brushed off by not being considered "as old" as say Europe or Asian history. The theories of how Indigenous peoples came to NA are the common land bridge from the Bering Strait during the last ice age. This is a commonly accepted theory. One has to remember that the northern half of NA was still covered under a sheet of ice and that people would have migrated south from Alaska and the Yukon to southern NA and through to central and South America before moving to Eastern and Northern North America a few thousand years later.

Another theory that has recently gained strength through DNA testing is that some Indigenous North Americans came from Europe many years prior to the Bering Straight migration by traveling across the Atlantic via the ice flows during the last ice age. Sea levels were much lower than they are today and it is theorized the some European peoples from Spain and France hunted on the ice and either became lost or swept across the Atlantic on the ice. Spear points in Eastern North America bear a very close resemblance to those found in western Europe of the same age. It is likely that there were many sources of immigrants over a period of thousands of years.
What has all that (very questionable and unsupported) speculation got to do with Aviator's original assertion?
Old Mar 29th 2009, 4:25 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

This seems to have got off original track, however, whatever we call them, the peoples here before the Europeans were not all that nice to each other. They were treated harshly by European settlers, however they did also kill and pillage long before European settlement. They seem to become more civil with each other when the land was being taken over by other settlers and they had a different focus than fighting each other.

If my distant memory of British history is right (no references I care to look up), there are not many pure bred Britains, or other European nationalities for that matter. Invading, pillaging and killing seem to have been prevalent the globe over throughout time.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 4:43 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

This seems to have got off original track, however, whatever we call them, the peoples here before the Europeans were not all that nice to each other. They were treated harshly by European settlers, however they did also kill and pillage long before European settlement. They seem to become more civil with each other when the land was being taken over by other settlers and they had a different focus than fighting each other.

If my distant memory of British history is right (no references I care to look up), there are not many pure bred Britains, or other European nationalities for that matter. Invading, pillaging and killing seem to have been prevalent the globe over throughout time.
I can agree with you here. In fact, taken far enough back, we're all African.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

I can agree with you here. In fact, taken far enough back, we're all African.
and going back even more, chimps?

Stefan Lovgren
for National Geographic News
August 31, 2005

Scientists have sequenced the genome of the chimpanzee and found that humans are 96 percent similar to the great ape species.

"Darwin wasn't just provocative in saying that we descend from the apes—he didn't go far enough," said Frans de Waal, a primate scientist at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. "We are apes in every way, from our long arms and tailless bodies to our habits and temperament."

Last edited by montreal mike; Mar 29th 2009 at 6:13 am.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 6:13 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I think a good yardstick of any country is to look at the cops... here they're pretty much all white, mostly male, frequently British. Speaks volumes.
Speaks volumes for sure. To me it says that there are more white people wanting to be cops
Old Mar 29th 2009, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by montreal mike
and going back even more, chimps?

Stefan Lovgren
for National Geographic News
August 31, 2005

Scientists have sequenced the genome of the chimpanzee and found that humans are 96 percent similar to the great ape species.

"Darwin wasn't just provocative in saying that we descend from the apes—he didn't go far enough," said Frans de Waal, a primate scientist at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. "We are apes in every way, from our long arms and tailless bodies to our habits and temperament."
So that's makes monkeys of us all!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

something I have long suspected of all humans

(with apologies to monkeys)
Old Mar 29th 2009, 6:53 am

something I have long suspected of all humans

(with apologies to monkeys)
You could have something there. Monkeys contribution to global warming is pretty insignificant. Aside from the airline industry being the biggest contributor to GW, the 2nd is the computer industry, every e-mail we send is a contributor!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 7:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Speaks volumes for sure. To me it says that there are more white people wanting to be cops
Perhaps if only white people want to be cops that does speak volumes.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 12:04 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

On another thread a poster wrote 'I feel that in many areas the population is growing further apart rather than coming closer together and that multiculturalism combined with many not learning the languages of the country are the prime reasons.

I am not going to answer or talk about this anymore on this thread or perhaps any other. We can start a new one to discuss the future of Canada if you want ..... '

my question is why would that be ?
Why is my opinion the way it is? or why did I say that I wouldn't talk about multiculturalism on that thread?

What has all that (very questionable and unsupported) speculation got to do with Aviator's original assertion?
Why did you bring it up before I did then?
Old Mar 30th 2009, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Technically speaking they are apes along with humans, gorillas and a couple others...
Old Mar 30th 2009, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Why is my opinion the way it is?

that is what piqued my curiosity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.