Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada is like.......(insert here)

Moving to Canada is like.......(insert here)

Old Jul 24th 2020, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada is like.......(insert here)

Originally Posted by MillieF
It's also very boring and not at all exciting if you have lived anywhere else on earth other than Canada or the UK...
Such as? I'm sure either is less exciting than Syria at the moment, but not necessarily in the sense that you meant...

I've lived in a couple of the "anywhere else on earth" places beyond the UK and Canada, and have visited about 25 others, some for extended work-related reasons. That's probably about par for the course for many on this forum, given the nature of the forum.

And I'm challenging you a bit, but I'm also genuinely curious:

Are you comparing with excitement in...
...some cultural sense?
...some political sense?
...some sense of economic opportunity?
...some ability to pursue individual goals?
...some ability to raise a family in some particular way?

Whatever criteria you're using, which countries rank high within them?

(I do note in sympathy with your post that Ottawa was once voted the most boring capital city on earth, by a collection of European diplomats.)
Old Jul 24th 2020, 3:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
Such as? I'm sure either is less exciting than Syria at the moment, but not necessarily in the sense that you meant...

I've lived in a couple of the "anywhere else on earth" places beyond the UK and Canada, and have visited about 25 others, some for extended work-related reasons. That's probably about par for the course for many on this forum, given the nature of the forum.

And I'm challenging you a bit, but I'm also genuinely curious:

Are you comparing with excitement in...
...some cultural sense?
...some political sense?
...some sense of economic opportunity?
...some ability to pursue individual goals?
...some ability to raise a family in some particular way?

Whatever criteria you're using, which countries rank high within them?

(I do note in sympathy with your post that Ottawa was once voted the most boring capital city on earth, by a collection of European diplomats.)
Is this a wind-up ?
Old Jul 24th 2020, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Is this a wind-up ?
Apart from the opening sentence about Syria, actually no.

What would allow for any country (as a whole) to be described as "exciting", in any remotely objective way?

MillieF complained of Canada as "very boring and not at all exciting if you have lived anywhere else on earth". Which is a broad statement, and fundamentally a subjective one. And one suggesting wider experience of the world on MillieF's part.

So I asked a few followup questions. And I'm genuinely curious about what reply MillieF might have.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 1:38 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I might have been better to write "my life in Canada is stultifying boring". I would think life in Syria, the West Bank, Libya plus many countries touched be the Arab Spring to be beyond dreadful and certainly not something I would trivialize. There are hosts of other hellholes that come to mind, but the fact that they are in the mire doesn't make Canada a more interesting place from my point of view.

It's more a lack of a sense of anything 'thriving' that I miss, there doesn't seem to be much of a counter culture in 'normal' society, everyone 'appears' to agree with everyone else and the only voices of dissention are muttered ones. It's homogenized, and that might be good for lots of people, but dosen't really float my boat.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 3:17 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
Don't forget "Deadmonton" either

Old Jul 25th 2020, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Or Winterpeg.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 6:01 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Or Winterpeg.
Every cloud has a silver lining... I remember seeing a sign outside White River, Ont proclaiming it to be the coldest town in Canada (don't bother correcting me, I don't care).. but that's also where Don McKinnon found the Hemlo Gold Mine (I knew his nephew, also don't bother correcting me, still don't care). Any fool can find gold, but to find it right beside the highway takes talent.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 7:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I might have been better to write "my life in Canada is stultifying boring". I would think life in Syria, the West Bank, Libya plus many countries touched be the Arab Spring to be beyond dreadful and certainly not something I would trivialize. There are hosts of other hellholes that come to mind, but the fact that they are in the mire doesn't make Canada a more interesting place from my point of view.

It's more a lack of a sense of anything 'thriving' that I miss, there doesn't seem to be much of a counter culture in 'normal' society, everyone 'appears' to agree with everyone else and the only voices of dissention are muttered ones. It's homogenized, and that might be good for lots of people, but dosen't really float my boat.
Or perhaps you're just mixing with the wrong people - or mixing in circles of people that don't have different points of views and strong opinions
Old Jul 25th 2020, 7:28 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Or perhaps you're just mixing with the wrong people - or mixing in circles of people that don't have different points of views and strong opinions
There certainly seemed to be some strong political debate during all the recent protests. Canada even has its own contingent of anti-mask folk. If you draft in the indigenous debates, there is enough controversy under the calm Canadian surface.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 2:56 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

This is I fear, quite possibly true, but we are a very small, and somewhat 'fixed' society, so I think I may have found my level...heigh ho, tant pis, for me !
Old Jul 27th 2020, 12:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

This is I fear, quite possibly true, but we are a very small, and somewhat 'fixed' society, so I think I may have found my level...heigh ho, tant pis, for me !
I wonder where you would go in swinging Fredricton to tap into that counterculture and thriving arts scene? When we get bands from the far east they always seem to be based in St John's or Halifax.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 4:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I wonder where you would go in swinging Fredricton to tap into that counterculture and thriving arts scene? When we get bands from the far east they always seem to be based in St John's or Halifax.
Fredericton Venues - Music Runs Through It
Old Jul 27th 2020, 5:49 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

So it doesn't exist then. Between the dead links and places that are closed and every steakhouse and pub in town and even the farmer's market they've got everything but laundromats on the list, and it's still a short one. Millie will have to start her own counter-culture revolution in Fredricton; Burning Man East!
Old Jul 27th 2020, 5:58 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

..... floating in an isolation tank.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 6:00 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Tangram
..... floating in an isolation tank.
Hot or cold water ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.