Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Most expensive in the world: London's fares rise again

Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most expensive in the world: London's fares rise again

Originally Posted by Sean Boxer
From The Guardian
(http://www.guardian.co.uk/transport/...981687,00.html)

· Bus and tube cash prices in capital soar by 33%
· Rail firms announce 4.3% average increases

The cost of travelling on buses and tubes in London rose by 33% yesterday as the capital's public transport was declared the most expensive in the world.
London's mayor, Ken Livingstone, raised the cost of cash fares on the London Underground and the expanded bus network. The increases mean a single-stop tube journey in the central London zone 1 area now costs £4 in cash. A single zone trip on the buses is now £2 in cash.

----------------

I can never go home again, I can't afford the tube fare from Heathrow.
Now that Zone 1 no longer has to compete with the car, which has a 8 quid congestion charge, one will assume they are free to raise the price of this ticket to 7.99. Pretty clever!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Yet but beer is now £4 pint in London which really does hurt.
Bollocks!

I stayed near Euston last week and the prices were:

London Pride - Night and Days (near Russell Sq) £2.20
Sam Smiths Organic lager - Some sam smiths pub near oxford street - £2.65
5 different real ales - Dorich Arch - £2.40ish.

I would say that these prices are comparable to Canada (pint for pint), but I could be wrong though!

I was drinking Joey Holt Bitter in Manchester City centre the other week for £1.59 though!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine rush hour in the southeast of England is anything like as bad. It wasn't in 2006.
The last two occasions that I've had to travel on a rush-hour train in the south-east, they were delayed half an hour or more while the police were called to remove drunken chavs who were rioting on board. Then after getting on board and finding a few square inches to stand in, I had to put up with some idiot coughing and sneezing all over me for most of the trip.

I'm so glad I don't travel in and out of London much anymore (in no small part because the cost of a return ticket has risen from about 4.50 to 12.50 in six or seven years when inflation was supposedly 2% or less).
Old Jan 9th 2007, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MarkG
The last two occasions that I've had to travel on a rush-hour train in the south-east, they were delayed half an hour or more while the police were called to remove drunken chavs who were rioting on board. Then after getting on board and finding a few square inches to stand in, I had to put up with some idiot coughing and sneezing all over me for most of the trip.

I'm so glad I don't travel in and out of London much anymore (in no small part because the cost of a return ticket has risen from about 4.50 to 12.50 in six or seven years when inflation was supposedly 2% or less).

I suppose I am fortunate that when I visit the smoke it's always on company expenses.

http://www.gaucho-grill.com/restaura...p?id=broadgate

This was worth every penny though!