Money slang

Old Apr 9th 2017, 5:56 am
Kelowna newbies July 15

Beckie and Morgan UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Money slang

Had to laugh....waiting in the queue at the grocery store and the guy in front was a Brit...he goes to pay and says "Oh I'll just get rid of some of this shrapnel" lady looks at him and says "pardon me" he realises what he's said and he looks at me and I laugh! I wonder how many old sayings I come out with that no one has a clue about!
Old Apr 9th 2017, 8:16 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money slang

Originally Posted by Beckie and Morgan UK
Had to laugh....waiting in the queue at the grocery store and the guy in front was a Brit...he goes to pay and says "Oh I'll just get rid of some of this shrapnel" lady looks at him and says "pardon me" he realises what he's said and he looks at me and I laugh! I wonder how many old sayings I come out with that no one has a clue about!
They seem to understand when you say it with enough menace.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 1:51 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Shrapnel? Not heard that one before.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 2:05 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Used in most parts of the UK to describe the small denomination coins, usually the copper ones, and by Brits all over the Eurozone to describe the millions of copped cents, that just get everywhere.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 2:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Used in most parts of the UK* to describe the small denomination coins, usually the copper ones, and by Brits all over the Eurozone to describe the millions of copped cents, that just get everywhere.
*in the 1950s.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 3:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Nor me.
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
*in the 1950s.
I wasn't around for much of the 50s so maybe that explains why I don't know it.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 3:54 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I was around in the 50's and I've not used it before. Nevertheless I would have understood what he meant by the phrase in this context. Extending the meaning of shrapnel to a collection of loose metal coins shouldn't have resulted in a blank face.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 4:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I was around in the 50's and I've not used it before. Nevertheless I would have understood what he meant by the phrase in this context. Extending the meaning of shrapnel to a collection of loose metal coins shouldn't have resulted in a blank face.
What about younger people for whom 'shrapnel' has no meaning regardless of context? There must be some who grew up after war movies stopped playing on TV as regularly as in my day.

Make some comment about the American GI having his helmet straps dangling as he smokes a last cigarette and the knowing look you get from someone over 50 will likely be a blank look from someone under 40
Old Apr 9th 2017, 4:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
How do you suppose that a Canadian in 2017 would realise that the shopper's reference was to a collection of loose change?
Old Apr 9th 2017, 4:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

How do you suppose that a Canadian in 2017 would realise that the shopper's reference was to a collection of loose change?
Depends where the "Canadian" came from. I shouldn't think that a huge stretch for Canadians originally from the middle east.

Last week I proposed walking around to the front of the building, rather than walking in through the loading dock, "ooh, the half crown entrance" said my colleague. Now that would be a challenge for a Canadian to unscramble.

Last edited by dbd33; Apr 9th 2017 at 4:44 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 4:43 pm
Born again atheist

But since the thread is titled "money slang", we, as children in Newcastle in the 1950s, used to call a threepenny bit a "lurgy". Threepenny was pronounced threpenny and the 12 sided coin was worth roughly the same as the new 12-sided pound coin is worth today.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 4:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

But since the thread is titled "money slang", we, as children in Newcastle in the 1950s, used to call a threepenny bit a "lurgy". Threepenny was pronounced threpenny and the 12 sided coin was worth roughly the same as the new 12-sided pound coin is worth today.
A thrupnee bit, you mean, half a tanner?
Old Apr 9th 2017, 5:06 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dbd33
Depends where the "Canadian" came from. I shouldn't think that a huge stretch for Canadians originally from the middle east.

Last week I proposed walking around to the front of the building, rather than walking in through the loading dock, "ooh, the half crown entrance" said my colleague. Now that would be a challenge for a Canadian to unscramble.
Quite.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 5:07 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dbd33
A thrupnee bit, you mean, half a tanner?
...in turn, half a bob.

I think we're on safer grounds here. Even BristolUK remembers bob.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Apr 9th 2017 at 5:12 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 5:10 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the word shrapnel isn't in common use in Canada but it should be understood with so many wars being so well publicised. I have never been in the forces or engaged in conflict, but I know what the word means.
Extending it's use to describe any collection of small metal objects in this context probably brought about an instant of misunderstanding, but I suspect that given a few more seconds the assistant would have understood completely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.