Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Is it me or us the weather very extreme this year?

Is it me or us the weather very extreme this year?

Old Jul 25th 2015, 1:17 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it me or us the weather very extreme this year?

@Lorry

Your song?

Old Jul 25th 2015, 3:41 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
@Lorry

Your song?

WTF?
Old Jul 26th 2015, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Only people from the north refer to the Watford Gap. I grew up expecting everywhere past Watford proper to look like Lowry painted it and had to look up "Watford Gap" when I saw it referenced on this site.
No, not really. I've heard southerners joking about the Watford Gap for forty years or more.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 1:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
No, not really. I've heard southerners joking about the Watford Gap for forty years or more.
Assuming you're from the north, past actual Watford, you'll be misinterpreting what they say, viewing it through a cultural filter. They'll say "Watford, end of earth" something like that, and you'll interpret it as referring to the Watford Gap because, being from the north, your perceptions are northern. To people from London, Watford is already at the end of the earth. The concept that, in the north, there's a place called the Watford Gap is of no interest at all.

It's similar to Canadians thinking that, when people in the rest of the world make mention of "London" they mean London Ontario. It's not the case but if you come from somewhere a bit bog trotty you tend not to see the wider picture.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you're from the north, past actual Watford, you'll be misinterpreting what they say, viewing it through a cultural filter.
Actually, I'm Australian-born and bred, and became an Englishman ( "a Henglish", as the say in the Caribbean, only in recent times. But I have been an expat for fifty years, and most of my friends during that time have been southern English. It's from them that I learnt about the Watford Gap. Maybe it's "expat talk" - but in my experience it's in no way limited to northerners.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 3:37 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I'm Australian-born and bred, and became an Englishman ( "a Henglish", as the say in the Caribbean, only in recent times. But I have been an expat for fifty years, and most of my friends during that time have been southern English. It's from them that I learnt about the Watford Gap. Maybe it's "expat talk" - but in my experience it's in no way limited to northerners.
Watford Gap is not southern England talk, we always said north of watford, never heard it with watford gap, perhaps that's northerner talk, definitely not the parts of the south I hailed from anyways.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 9:54 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I am from the South of England and everyone there that I have conversed with on that subject calls it the Watford Gap, everything north of the Watford Gap is "up norf"
Old Jul 27th 2015, 12:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I am from the South of England and everyone there that I have conversed with on that subject calls it the Watford Gap, everything north of the Watford Gap is "up norf"
The Watford Gap is in the far north, it's beyond Watford so in conversation the "Gap" is redundant and syntactically awkward.

"Never 'eard of it, must be north of Watford"

is something one might hear in a pub

"One is unfamiliar with that location, it must be north of the Watford Gap"

is not a phrase I've ever heard but I suppose it might be the sort of thing one would say in a golf club. I don't find it credible though, why would people have heard of a minor topographical feature somewhere in the tundra? Watford people know because it has a football team, one that had a flamboyant owner.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 2:23 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

The Watford Gap is in the far north, it's beyond Watford so in conversation the "Gap" is redundant and syntactically awkward.

"Never 'eard of it, must be north of Watford"

is something one might hear in a pub

"One is unfamiliar with that location, it must be north of the Watford Gap"

is not a phrase I've ever heard but I suppose it might be the sort of thing one would say in a golf club. I don't find it credible though, why would people have heard of a minor topographical feature somewhere in the tundra? Watford people know because it has a football team, one that had a flamboyant owner.
No idea, never even gave it that much thought

Last edited by Howefamily; Jul 27th 2015 at 2:23 am. Reason: typing
Old Jul 27th 2015, 2:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Howefamily
No idea, never even gave it that much thought
You wouldn't, not in England. Here, however, time hangs heavily.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 3:33 am
:)

pthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm originally from the Midlands and the comment was often made there was that Southerners didn't think anything existed north of Watford Gap. This may explain it:-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watford_Gap

P
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by pthom
I'm originally from the Midlands and the comment was often made there was that Southerners didn't think anything existed north of Watford Gap. This may explain it:-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watford_Gap

P
The Midlands, being north of Watford, are part of the north. That's why you'll have learned this northerner talk.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 12:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Tornado touches down in southwest Manitoba, lasts nearly 3 hours - Manitoba - CBC News
Old Jul 28th 2015, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The Midlands, being north of Watford, are part of the north. That's why you'll have learned this northerner talk.
The Midlands being south of Cheshire etc is where you will hear Southerners talking about this gap north of Watford.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

It has been pretty extreme in Winnipeg/MB for the last week or so - temps up into the 30's almost every day (with humidex values of up to 40) and not cooling down below 20's overnight. Feel like I'm back in Aus.
Massive storms, tornado warnings in the last few days 😳
But just give it a few months and the wooly gloves will be getting dusted off again..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.