Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Is it me or us the weather very extreme this year?

Is it me or us the weather very extreme this year?

Old Jul 23rd 2015, 10:12 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it me or us the weather very extreme this year?

bc with wildfires
Alberta with tornados
Nova Scotia having a cool summer
Newfoundland missing summer completely , they are still in single digits and have even arrested a weatherman (fake weatherman??)
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 11:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it me or us the weather very extreme this year?

Originally Posted by Howefamily
bc with wildfires
Alberta with tornados
Nova Scotia having a cool summer
Newfoundland missing summer completely , they are still in single digits and have even arrested a weatherman (fake weatherman??)
It'll be that Global Warming they're causing by raking up them tar sands in Canada.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 11:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It'll be that Global Warming they're causing by raking up them tar sands in Canada.
And clubbing seals.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 11:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And clubbing seals.
Blame Canada!

Parts of Britain brace for 'intense' rain and wind | UK news | The Guardian
Old Jul 24th 2015, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the worst will be for those south of the Watford Gap....so not really any big issue
Old Jul 24th 2015, 12:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Sounds like the worst will be for those south of the Watford Gap....so not really any big issue
Only people from the north refer to the Watford Gap. I grew up expecting everywhere past Watford proper to look like Lowry painted it and had to look up "Watford Gap" when I saw it referenced on this site.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Only people from the north refer to the Watford Gap. I grew up expecting everywhere past Watford proper to look like Lowry painted it and had to look up "Watford Gap" when I saw it referenced on this site.
And you mean that the images invoked by Lowry don't make you pine for 'The North'. You don't find flat caps, whippets and the Andy Cap lifestyle to be a positive.?
Old Jul 24th 2015, 1:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
And you mean that the images invoked by Lowry don't make you pine for 'The North'. You don't find flat caps, whippets and the Andy Cap lifestyle to be a positive.?
Attached are some recent snapshots taken around the homestead. That child labourer is not an actor from a Hovis advert, nor is he a hipster. This is flat cap country. That dog is an actual whippet.

I could not pine for the north due to not knowing it. I am however living in a reasonable facsimile of it; except for the rain and the soot.
Attached Thumbnails Is it me or us the weather very extreme this year?-img_20150709_190542.jpg   Is it me or us the weather very extreme this year?-img_1638.jpg  
Old Jul 24th 2015, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Calm down ExKiwiLass
Old Jul 24th 2015, 8:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Its a bit on the extreme side, turned more normal for now, but still really dry around these parts, well below normal rainfall for a couple months in a row now.

The streams and rivers are so low around here they are catching Salmon fry and relocating them as they are becoming trapped in shallow pools with no way to get to open water.

We have a large waterfall in town and its a trickle at the moment, amazing how little water is coming down, and of course the glaciers are melting at a record pace.

Down in San Diego and LA region last week they shattered rain records, San Diego received 1.03 inches of rain on one day, wettest July day since records have been kept, and that day also made this July the wettest ever on record.

Normal rainfall for July in San Diego is 0.03 inches so a significant difference.

Been an abnormal summer for a lot of places this year. Winter on the west coast is apparently going to be drier and warmer as well according to the experts.

Just don't have green grass around these parts, it will get you accused of not following water restrictions. Must be a bad year for lawn mowing companies, everyone's yards for the most part are brown, dry, and dead with no need for mowing.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:21 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear!
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in Canada for a long time. The weather is the most extreme I can recall. Much of BC is still in a state of extreme fire hazard and the severe drought conditions show no signs of letting up. The province has already spent almost $150 million dollars on trying to get hundred of wildfires under control. Saskatchewan is also having a horrific fire season and Alberta is suffering from more drought and wild storms including hail and flash floods while the Maritimes are unusually cold and wet.
All of this raises some interesting questions. Why would anybody continue to live in interior BC in areas such as the Okanagan which has large wildfires every year? What's going to happen to these vast areas in BC, Saskatchewan and Alberta that have been burned over? They can't be reforested for decades. It's an enormous waste of water, manpower, and public money to try to keep alive a forestry industry which is being burned out and killed off by the ravages of mountain pine beetle. Why does Canada persist in focussing on crops and other agricultural practices such as raising beef that are hugely demanding of water? On a more individual basis, why do we insist on having lawns - a medieval concept and hardly relevant in places such as Vancouver where it's no longer easy being green as lawn watering is completely prohibited.
This may seem to be a year of weather extremes but it may well be the shape of even worse to come.
We could, of course, use all those redundant oil pipe lines to bring water from all the places that have too much to places that are desperately short. We could also get all these unemployed folks from Alberta to quit looking for the highly paid jobs in the oil business they've become used to and start doing something useful about getting burnt-over land into growing something edible - after all, with global warming, there'll be a longer growing season and all that water now being wasted on putting out fires could irrigate a lot of stuff we'll need because California is pretty much a dead loss as a source to import food from.
Alternatively, we could revert to a nomadic form of life and just keep moving to get away from the fires, floods, drought, rain, and snow though right now, I can't think where that would be.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 11:02 am
Happy

Unhappy Re: Is it me or us the weather very extreme this year?

Is it global warming though or more simply "el Nino"? ( I know next to nothing about these things by the way, just curious)
Old Jul 24th 2015, 11:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Is it global warming though or more simply "el Nino"? ( I know next to nothing about these things by the way, just curious)
Being an El Nino year certainly is playing a part in the weather at least on the west coast of Canada, the ocean in the pacific is 3 degrees above average F in a benchmark location according the the linked article, similar to one of the strongest El Nino years in 1997 when it was 3.2F above average.

El Niño could bring disaster and drought relief to California - LA Times

Canadian prairies: milder and somewhat drier than normal.

Ontario, Quebec, and Atlantic Canada: usually milder than normal.

Southern Northwest Territories: milder, more precipitation.

Southeastern United States, northeastern Mexico: wetter and cooler than normal
California: wetter than normal
Northwestern South America: wetter than normal.
Hawaii: drier than normal.
Indonesia, southeast Asia and northern Australia: drier than normal.
Japan, southeast Asia, India, southern China: warmer than normal.
South Africa: drier and warmer than normal.

El Niño Impacts on British Columbia and Yukon
Old Jul 24th 2015, 7:58 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we had a bit (read a f***ing downpour) of rain yesterday but my daughter & friend still enjoyed a day at Thorpe Park crazy kids! and it is back to being dry today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.