Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Mature Trees around Calgary

Wikiposts

Mature Trees around Calgary

Old May 5th 2009, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mature Trees around Calgary

Originally Posted by Brownstar
You will find a distinct lack of trees and varities of trees in and around Calgary.
Not true - but most are nothing like we might be used to from the UK.

And there is such repetition in Calgary - the powers that be that decided on the trees for public spaces have been quite unimaginative in some ways - but I guess they keep on buying the stuff they know will survive.

And to the OP, the growing season here is soooo short - you need to look at older neighbourhoods, ie, 30+ yrs old to get what I would call decent cover and maturity.
Old May 5th 2009, 10:36 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Not true - but most are nothing like we might be used to from the UK.

And there is such repetition in Calgary - the powers that be that decided on the trees for public spaces have been quite unimaginative in some ways - but I guess they keep on buying the stuff they know will survive.
Compared to the SE of the UK, there is a distinct lack of variety...........its pretty much all pine trees with the odd birch tree
Old May 5th 2009, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Compared to the SE of the UK, there is a distinct lack of variety...........
I agree - mind you, I was back in the SE last summer and felt claustrophobic with all the huge trees - felt like we were driving through tunnels, and there was no sky
Old May 5th 2009, 10:40 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

I agree - mind you, I was back in the SE last summer and felt claustrophobic with all the huge trees - felt like we were driving through tunnels, and there was no sky
Thats one of the things I miss
Old May 5th 2009, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thats one of the things I miss
I miss the lushness, height and sheer variety of the colour green - but I like the wide clear roadside verges here, the views and the sky. Now then, how can I combine the two?
Old May 5th 2009, 10:50 am
Banned

I miss the lushness, height and sheer variety of the colour green - but I like the wide clear roadside verges here, the views and the sky. Now then, how can I combine the two?
Move to the Atlantic Provinces?
Old May 5th 2009, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Compared to the SE of the UK, there is a distinct lack of variety...........its pretty much all pine trees with the odd birch tree
Remember we're zone 3. Zone 4 at best. And trees aren't even suppose to be here.
Old May 5th 2009, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calgary2006
If you are looking in the NW try Dalhousie, Silver Springs, Edgemont, Citadel, Arbour Lake. All seem to have a variety of mature trees.

HTH
I wouldn't call citadel over endowed with any trees let alone mature ones. Arbour lake has a few more- but only a few.

I find the lack of mature trees slightly oppressive....................

The older areas are the most treed. Generally the further in the more trees.

Liked Discovery Ridge as this backs onto Griffith woods. Bragg Creek has loads.

Gryph
Old May 5th 2009, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

They call Alberta a "prairie province" for a reason.

Calgary was built on a prairie, grassland ecosystem. Trees don't naturally grow there. Trees don't grow very big there. The cold dry climate means that trees that would otherwise grow to be large and mature in England would be stunted in Calgary, if they can even survive there at all. Few tree species can handle Calgary winters which is why you get pines but little else. I know it may seem that I'm exaggerating, but often people don't fully understand that there is no English garden equivalent to Calgary at all.

This is Calgary all green and leafy:

This is the natural landscape in southern Alberta outside of Calgary:

And this was Calgary along the Bow River back in 1881 (to get a sense of the "natural vegetation" of the area)

So you can see, if leafy green trees is what you're seeking and you're passionate about gardening, you may want to consider coastal British Columbia. It's the only place in Canada where you can garden as you would in England, where trees grow larger than anywhere else in the country.

Last edited by Lychee; May 5th 2009 at 1:57 pm.