Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Mature Trees around Calgary

Mature Trees around Calgary

Old May 5th 2009, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future
Default Mature Trees around Calgary

During my research into areas to live in/around Calgary when we move next Spring, I receive numerous real estate listings from different areas of the city and surrounding towns. Coming from leafy England I am hoping to find a property with mature trees in the garden and on the street. It would appear from the listings that this is available if you want to live in the city (as it has some history), but it's starting to look as though, if you want to live outside Calgary like Okotoks or Airdrie, say, you have to do without the mature tree thing. Unlike the UK where the property developers tend to leave some trees around the new build, the developers in and around Calgary scrape the land clean of any living thing before building. The result is streets and neighbourhoods completely devoid of anything reminiscent of the natural world outside your window!

The question is this; in which towns surrounding Calgary will we find property with mature trees in the garden and on the street? Thanks all.
Old May 5th 2009, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mature Trees around Calgary

Originally Posted by elizabeth_action
During my research into areas to live in/around Calgary when we move next Spring, I receive numerous real estate listings from different areas of the city and surrounding towns. Coming from leafy England I am hoping to find a property with mature trees in the garden and on the street. It would appear from the listings that this is available if you want to live in the city (as it has some history), but it's starting to look as though, if you want to live outside Calgary like Okotoks or Airdrie, say, you have to do without the mature tree thing. Unlike the UK where the property developers tend to leave some trees around the new build, the developers in and around Calgary scrape the land clean of any living thing before building. The result is streets and neighbourhoods completely devoid of anything reminiscent of the natural world outside your window!

The question is this; in which towns surrounding Calgary will we find property with mature trees in the garden and on the street? Thanks all.
Okotoks will have mature trees. So will Airdrie. You will just need to choose an older neighbourhood. Both places have grown a lot in the last 10 years so there is probably as many properties without mature trees as with (maybe more but it still shouldn't be impossible to find).

I think most towns have been around as long as Calgary has so I would expect most would have what your looking for.

Speaking for Calgary itself (in the southwest where I live) go east of Sarcee Trail and North of Fish Creek park generally speaking. There are some older areas south (like Midnapor) which should do as well.
Old May 5th 2009, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rwin
Okotoks will have mature trees. So will Airdrie. You will just need to choose an older neighbourhood. Both places have grown a lot in the last 10 years so there is probably as many properties without mature trees as with (maybe more but it still shouldn't be impossible to find).

I think most towns have been around as long as Calgary has so I would expect most would have what your looking for.

Speaking for Calgary itself (in the southwest where I live) go east of Sarcee Trail and North of Fish Creek park generally speaking. There are some older areas south (like Midnapor) which should do as well.
Thank you rwin
Old May 5th 2009, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

As you can imagine, the older the community, the more likely it is that you will find what you are looking for. It is something that a number of folk comment on (the bareness of the land in newer communities). For instance, I was driving around Lake Bonavista (SE Calgary) with a client a few days back and there was a striking difference there in terms of tree maturity. Down here in Okotoks, the first part of the Crystals to be developed (Crystalridge) is certainly now taking a pleasing appearance of maturity and older Okotoks communities certainly have that in abundance as illustrated in these shots from three different areas of the town.

Newer communities have their appeal for many but it's not the only option. You just need to work with someone who knows where to look!

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Attached Thumbnails Mature Trees around Calgary-tower-hill.jpg   Mature Trees around Calgary-westridge.jpg   Mature Trees around Calgary-lock-cr.jpg  
Old May 5th 2009, 8:56 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

You will find a distinct lack of trees and varities of trees in and around Calgary.
Old May 5th 2009, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

I hope those pictures aren't from today
Old May 5th 2009, 8:58 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ Are those the mature trees or the immature ones?
Old May 5th 2009, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

calgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nice

If you are looking in the NW try Dalhousie, Silver Springs, Edgemont, Citadel, Arbour Lake. All seem to have a variety of mature trees.

HTH
Old May 5th 2009, 9:21 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

and in the south, Midnapore, Shawnessy, Canyon Meadows, Lake Bonavista to name but a few
Old May 5th 2009, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin
I hope those pictures aren't from today
Thankfully, no!

...it was last week!

Eamonn & Janet.
Old May 5th 2009, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by calgary2006
If you are looking in the NW try Dalhousie, Silver Springs, Edgemont, Citadel, Arbour Lake. All seem to have a variety of mature trees.

HTH
Agreed, and of those, we particularly like Edgemont.

Eamonn.
Old May 5th 2009, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
^^^ Are those the mature trees or the immature ones?
Cheek!

E&J.
Old May 5th 2009, 10:06 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Getting There
Cheek!

E&J.
I have a three or four hundred year old Elm in my back yard...not to mention the cedar that looks like the wise old grandmother tree in "Pocahontas". I guess we shouldnt take them for granted.
Old May 5th 2009, 10:14 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
I have a three or four hundred year old Elm in my back yard...not to mention the cedar that looks like the wise old grandmother tree in "Pocahontas". I guess we shouldnt take them for granted.
No you shouldn't take them for granted.

This is Calgary we're talking about.

It's on the edge between foothills and prairie, totally different environment.

We don't have trees that old here, most are conifers, poplars, cottonwoods, and some Dutch elms, most are no older than 100 years at best.
Old May 5th 2009, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve_P
No you shouldn't take them for granted.

This is Calgary we're talking about.

It's on the edge between foothills and prairie, totally different environment.

We don't have trees that old here, most are conifers, poplars, cottonwoods, and some Dutch elms, most are no older than 100 years at best.
Aha...I'll scrap what I was going to type then as this covers it.

To the OP...High River also has some nice mature (for the region!) areas. Bragg Creek too. On the former though, greater consideration needs to be given to where work will take you, (if applicable), so as to not leave yourselves a longer commute than many might find reasonable.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.