Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What's up with Canada's iTunes store???

What's up with Canada's iTunes store???

Old May 4th 2009, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's up with Canada's iTunes store???

I've been forced to use the Canadian version of iTunes (IP address, credit card).

About 50% of the music I try to buy doesn't exist on the Canada store, but a quick flip to the UK and, da daaa... there it is!

I've sent a complaint to Apple (about paying for apps with gift cards.... which you can't do in Canada, but you can everywhere else) and they've said certain copyright restrictions prevent them from providing the full iTunes service.

It's really ferkin annoying.... does anyone have any idea why this is so? Any lawyers here? It's beyond a joke. I'm going to change the address of my UK credit card to my Mum's address so then I can access and buy from the UK store..... harumph! (not a lot I can do about the IP address... or is there??)
Old May 4th 2009, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of
Default Re: What's up with Canada's iTunes store???

Originally Posted by geedee
I've been forced to use the Canadian version of iTunes (IP address, credit card).

About 50% of the music I try to buy doesn't exist on the Canada store, but a quick flip to the UK and, da daaa... there it is!

I've sent a complaint to Apple (about paying for apps with gift cards.... which you can't do in Canada, but you can everywhere else) and they've said certain copyright restrictions prevent them from providing the full iTunes service.

It's really ferkin annoying.... does anyone have any idea why this is so? Any lawyers here? It's beyond a joke. I'm going to change the address of my UK credit card to my Mum's address so then I can access and buy from the UK store..... harumph! (not a lot I can do about the IP address... or is there??)
I still use itunes with uk credit card, I did hear that they were going to insist using store that matched the IP, but as of yesterday still works for me.

The downside is you cant download the freebies from starbucks!
Old May 4th 2009, 5:23 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I have kept my UK I tunes account going on the lap top we brought with us - using my Uk bank card

New pc we loaded Canadain I tunes!
Old May 4th 2009, 10:57 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

It makes me feel better that is just isn't me then! I thought I was going crazy not being able to find certain tunes on the Canadian one, but I can find them on the UK one...grrr
Old May 4th 2009, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
It makes me feel better that is just isn't me then! I thought I was going crazy not being able to find certain tunes on the Canadian one, but I can find them on the UK one...grrr
No, it's not just you! The thing is, there'll be albums from a particular band, but some of their releases aren't available available, so I don't understand the reasoning.

Why has this post been moved off the main board?
Old May 4th 2009, 1:51 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Why has this post been moved off the main board?
(Apologies in advance Iain et al)

Cos it has sweet FA to do with emigrating to Canada?
Old May 4th 2009, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

compchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant future

It has to do with the licensing in Canada, I work for a competitor store and we are in the process of setting up the Canadian one - our Mexican store is now online and it was a hell of a lot easier to do! Not sure about requiring the appropriate IP address though, it not the most reliable way to find out where the originating PC actually is.
Old May 4th 2009, 6:56 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Do the CANCON regulations apply to online music stores then?
Old May 4th 2009, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

"Due to tax laws and commerce restrictions for software in Canada, customers residing in Canada may only purchase games and applications using a credit card."

That is why you can use gift cards in Canada for certain things. More of an issue with government then Apple.

As for songs, its licensing and copyright issues most likely.
Old May 4th 2009, 10:53 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on - I've used Itunes gift cards - canadian ones - - to purchase apps here!! (I think!)
Old May 5th 2009, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
(Apologies in advance Iain et al)

Cos it has sweet FA to do with emigrating to Canada?
And how many posts do? Less of the swearing, it doesn't suit you.

And actually, it does.... as much as renting cars and houses or digging wells. It's all to do with what to expect over here.... and not being able to buy music that's available in every other Country is an issue about canada... geddit???

Last edited by geedee; May 5th 2009 at 3:05 am.
Old May 5th 2009, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
"Due to tax laws and commerce restrictions for software in Canada, customers residing in Canada may only purchase games and applications using a credit card."

That is why you can use gift cards in Canada for certain things. More of an issue with government then Apple.

As for songs, its licensing and copyright issues most likely.
No, it's not Apple. The email I got from them was quite apologetic, and they said they are working hard to overcome the obstacles!
Old May 5th 2009, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Hang on - I've used Itunes gift cards - canadian ones - - to purchase apps here!! (I think!)
I wish you'd tell me how! I bought mine in Costco, but could only purchase music. When I tried to buy apps it said it could only be done with 1 click. I tried the UK store and it said the number wasn't valid (I think )
Old May 5th 2009, 3:40 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Ever thought of using a IP proxy?
Old May 5th 2009, 5:05 am
half a century

I wish you'd tell me how! I bought mine in Costco, but could only purchase music. When I tried to buy apps it said it could only be done with 1 click. I tried the UK store and it said the number wasn't valid (I think )
Actaully - I lie - it was still on the UK I Tunes!! doh! sorry!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.