Masks

Old Mar 23rd 2022, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

I'm happy that I don't have to worry about wearing a mask when I enter a restaurant and am going to take it off , put it on a dirty table then put it back on after. That never made sense to me. But unless I can expect the area to be reasonably uncrowded i'm keeping my mask on for now if i'm not going somewhere that involves eating or drinking.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 9:58 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You can do it if you listen with your ears and not your mouth or nose.
Teehee. Similarly the cinema and theatre.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
I'm happy that I don't have to worry about wearing a mask when I enter a restaurant and am going to take it off , put it on a dirty table then put it back on after. That never made sense to me. But unless I can expect the area to be reasonably uncrowded i'm keeping my mask on for now if i'm not going somewhere that involves eating or drinking.
I came down with Covid last week and I'm 99% sure I got it either playing indoor footie or at the post game pub outing. This was pre no mask requirements in the pub. For the footie league it is mandatory to be double vacc'd but that didn't seem to stop it. Just felt like a mild cold to me but I did sleep more.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You can do it if you listen with your ears and not your mouth or nose.
Novel idea, not sure if it will catch on though.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I came down with Covid last week and I'm 99% sure I got it either playing indoor footie or at the post game pub outing. This was pre no mask requirements in the pub. For the footie league it is mandatory to be double vacc'd but that didn't seem to stop it. Just felt like a mild cold to me but I did sleep more.
Same here, mild cold, and felt tired, that was it.

I think I caught it through a ski trip, there were 33 of us on the coach, I think 2 people wore a mask...but everyone was vaccinated.. or it could have been at the bar after the the skiing... it was still supposed to be 50% capacity in Quebec at that time, but I think it was the busiest bar I had been in since before the pandemic! Cracking atmosphere though!
Old Mar 24th 2022, 5:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I think there is a compromise for both sides in our current scenario. As i said in my initial post, I still have no problem with masks in long term care settings, hospital, retirement home, public transit, these are all close quarters settings and/or essential services that vunerable people cannot avoid.
But this does of course, include shops. Small ones where older, vulnerable people will shop. That's fairly essential I think. The shopper can't control who goes in and out in whatever numbers but you could have a mask wearing policy.

But there are many other places that are not classed as essential activities, like pubs, restaurants music concerts, how can you wear a mask at a music concert?
Forget essential, for some places; it's obviously not practical for a pub and a restaurant where you're consuming things via the mouth. dbd has given a good answer for the concert.
if you don't feel safe don't go, its not an essential service to go to...a music concert.
But tons of people feel safer if others are masked up. It's proven to help. See, I don't see how you can make a mental well being argument that says you can go to a concert but that others can't. Wear masks and you enable others to go too.
There are risks in everyday life, we take a risk by stepping outside the door, getting in our cars, crossing the road, we can't continually wrap ourselves in cotton wool forever.
That's been asked and answered so many times before why are you still saying it? Benefits and risk apply to crossing roads, driving cars.

Since when did a little mask equate to being wrapped in cotton wool? Is having to wear a seatbelt when you drive wrapping yourself in cotton wool or is it a sensible precaution, once similarly opposed.

Maybe if allowing people to exhale potential covid droplets and vapours unhindered is desirable, we should bring back smoking in public places to allow smokers the same right to poison people too. After all, if the non smokers don't like the idea of breathing other people's exhaled smoke they can always decide to avoid the pub, concerts and so on.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 5:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Maybe if allowing people to exhale potential covid droplets and vapours unhindered is desirable, we should bring back smoking in public places to allow smokers the same right to poison people too.
A fine idea!
Old Mar 24th 2022, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

But this does of course, include shops. Small ones where older, vulnerable people will shop. That's fairly essential I think. The shopper can't control who goes in and out in whatever numbers but you could have a mask wearing policy.

Forget essential, for some places; it's obviously not practical for a pub and a restaurant where you're consuming things via the mouth. dbd has given a good answer for the concert.

But tons of people feel safer if others are masked up. It's proven to help. See, I don't see how you can make a mental well being argument that says you can go to a concert but that others can't. Wear masks and you enable others to go too.

That's been asked and answered so many times before why are you still saying it? Benefits and risk apply to crossing roads, driving cars.

Since when did a little mask equate to being wrapped in cotton wool? Is having to wear a seatbelt when you drive wrapping yourself in cotton wool or is it a sensible precaution, once similarly opposed.

Maybe if allowing people to exhale potential covid droplets and vapours unhindered is desirable, we should bring back smoking in public places to allow smokers the same right to poison people too. After all, if the non smokers don't like the idea of breathing other people's exhaled smoke they can always decide to avoid the pub, concerts and so on.
If you were in charge, when would people not have to wear masks?
Old Mar 24th 2022, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

There are still people who believe that the seatbelt and smoking laws are too oppressive. There are also people that are worried that if we continue going down the route of taxing/banning everything that could be bad for society (and not the individual), could lead to the closing of McDonalds or the pub, or the over taxing of such products.

For me the main difference between the masking and smoking argument is, breathing without a mask is 100% natural, whereas smoking isn't. You are actively asking every person to spend their money on "essential" health and safety equipment...So you could argue that it should be supplied by the organization asking you to mask up. Again I'm not saying any of this to be purposely argumentative but this is a new and different issue to earlier issues.

In terms of the whole 'it's been proven to be effective'. It has, it has been proven in a sterile environment on people who are wearing medical masks who are very good at not fiddling or touching their masks.

From real world data Scotland and England have 2 opposing policies regarding masks and currently Scotland's data (which is the masked society) has the worse numbers. I think someone said it earlier but masks seem to give people a certain comfort, this comfort ends up causing people to enter personal space which is more dangerous than standing further away without a mask on.

There are too many variables with the general population to suggest that mask use is effective, in a perfect world it would be, but people would have to use them correctly.

Last edited by ArthurBrit; Mar 24th 2022 at 6:35 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 6:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
If you were in charge, when would people not have to wear masks?
When distancing was not a problem for most or all of the time.

Perhaps small working environments with 100% vaccination rates (and especially for you, recent acquired immunity ) involving only a small group of staff.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 7:35 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Same here, mild cold, and felt tired, that was it.
Well let's hope you're not part of the 40% of those who had covid and recovered but have some form of long covid even though they only had mild symptoms.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 8:29 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps small working environments with 100% vaccination rates (and especially for you, recent acquired immunity ) involving only a small group of staff.
Good God man, please don't apply for the PM's job, we don't want you in charge

Old Mar 24th 2022, 9:24 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Danny B
Good God man, please don't apply for the PM's job, we don't want you in charge
I don't think I'd want it. Half the nation always against you. If I wanted to be disliked that much I could have stayed in the DWP
Old Mar 24th 2022, 9:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I'd want it. Half the nation is always against you. .....
I think you mean two-thirds, including the third of voters who never bother to vote.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that most do not have a problem with distancing now.

Why the distinction between 100% vaccination and, let's say, over 90% vaccination? Why not 20% vaccination as I know that you accept that the vaccinated can still acquire, and spread, the virus?

Do you believe that, where the vaccinated and unvaccinated are allowed to mix, sporting events, concerts, etc., masking should be required for ever?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.