Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill

Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill

Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Canada is actually pretty good for that. Common law is legally recognized where it counts.
Really? Quebec and "spousal support" for example. Common law Provinces and property rights is another. I would imagine that property rights are the main issue for most non-married couples.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:20 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Really? Quebec and "spousal support" for example. Common law Provinces and property rights is another. I would imagine that property rights are the main issue for most non-married couples.
IANAL, but don't you just deal with that on the title.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 1:24 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is actually pretty good for that. Common law is legally recognized where it counts.
Yup and get a good pre-nup
Old Feb 5th 2013, 2:26 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/deviancy
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing that annoys me under this bill is that although gays will be allowed to get married, straight people can not have civil partnerships. The bill was put together all to quickly in my opinion.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:14 pm
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads
The one thing that annoys me under this bill is that although gays will be allowed to get married, straight people can not have civil partnerships. The bill was put together all to quickly in my opinion.
Have you seen today's amendment to the bill?... It now states that if two gay men are to be married, one of them, by law, has to wear a big white meringue of a wedding dress during the ceremony and shag the best man on the sly at the reception...
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

I can do the Best Man, worse half would need to fill the dress !
Old Feb 6th 2013, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

IANAL, but don't you just deal with that on the title.
The Quebec case went to the Supreme Court and was all over the national news recently.

If the parties are both on title then, in theory, there is no issue. The issue is if one party held the property prior to the relationship begining and there never being an amendment to title. In such a case, the parties have to rely upon the law of trust. Normally, Provinces have enacted Matrimonial Property Acts that specify how such property will be divided following a separation of the parties if the parties are married.

I see no issue with same sex couples being granted permission to marry. I don't feel any differently about my wife simply because we have a piece of paper. I appreciate that others feel differently.

I am with Greg Giraldo. They should have to suffer along with heterosexual couples:

Old Feb 6th 2013, 2:22 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

If straights get married at a registry office, for all intents and purposes that's a civil partnership is it not? The semantics are pretty much irrelevant except to those who want to convey some kind of holy overtone to their union.

I suppose what you want is complete equality (that both gay/straight can opt for either system). In an ideal world that would be the case; but this issue is so low down on the list of gay issues. I think you should find something more important to be annoyed about. IMHO of course.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shard
If straights get married at a registry office, for all intents and purposes that's a civil partnership is it not? The semantics are pretty much irrelevant except to those who want to convey some kind of holy overtone to their union.

I suppose what you want is complete equality (that both gay/straight can opt for either system). In an ideal world that would be the case; but this issue is so low down on the list of gay issues. I think you should find something more important to be annoyed about. IMHO of course.
Your welcome to your opinion. If I said I was annoyed , wrong words. I mean I find it unfair ! TBH not too many gay issues worry me these days. The main is the positive promotion of being gay in schools and fighting homophobia.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 3:00 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

The main is the positive promotion of being gay in schools and fighting homophobia.
I hope that's promoting acceptance of homosexuality rather than posters advertising grindr
Old Feb 6th 2013, 3:04 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Your welcome to your opinion. If I said I was annoyed , wrong words. I mean I find it unfair ! TBH not too many gay issues worry me these days. The main is the positive promotion of being gay in schools and fighting homophobia.
You'll have a lot of fighting to do if the muslim fundamentalists keep gaining territory. At least the christian fundamentalists dressed up in with white sheets and pointy hats, but the muslim fundamentalists....wait a minute...! Perhaps Canada will be more chilled out in that regard.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

I hope that's promoting acceptance of homosexuality rather than posters advertising grindr
hmmmm - Alan and what does one know about grindr?
Old Feb 6th 2013, 4:45 am

hmmmm - Alan and what does one know about grindr?
Not a lot. And, I should add, neither should you if you're going to get hitched!
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:03 am
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Not a lot. And, I should add, neither should you if you're going to get hitched!
Thanks Alan

Well - intrigue got the better of me and I googled it at work....

For those as intrigued as I was but don't want it to come up on there work network. "Grindr is the largest and most popular all-male location-based social network out there. With more than 4 million guys in 192 countries around the world -- and approximately 10,000 more new users downloading the app every day -- you’ll always find a new date, buddy, or friend on Grindr."

So there ya go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.