Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill

Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill

Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:16 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Is having a difference of opinion with another bigotry then; simply the difference of opinion?
I don't like religion and people that are in your face religious.
I don't like vancouver hipsters who sit in coffee shops with their macbooks pretending that they are part of the counter-culture.
I don't like people who own bmw X5's.

These are all my own personal prejudices that I am quite entitled to. Would you say that makes me bigoted? Some people would. Do I care particularly? Not really.

However, does my dislike of these people extend to wanting the state to have laws that give them less rights than me? Of course not. And that is the point.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:20 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I don't like religion and people that are in your face religious.
I don't like vancouver hipsters who sit in coffee shops with their macbooks pretending that they are part of the counter-culture.
I don't like people who own bmw X5's.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:20 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't think of one that isn't based upon religion. I don't care what they call it. I really don't. I do get annoyed with the suggestion that anyone that has an opinion different from the "majority" is automatically a bigot. The hypocrisy with such a suggestion is, evidently, lost of those that perform the name calling, present company aside of course.
You are extrapolating one issue to every issue. Of course having a different opinion is not bigoted. Hating gays however is bigoted.

What equal rights have been lost that are not predicated on a religious ceremony?
The equal right for me to have a civil partnership? I can't have one.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:23 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is almost as if it is deliberately discriminatory and patronizing.

We "normal" people get married but you queers, well, you can have a civil partnership. Now, go away and stop being a nuisance.

I prefer your idea. Everyone has a civil partnership. Then you can go and bother whichever God you want. And call it what you want.
Quite right. I would give you karma for this but this damn tablet won't let me.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:23 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

You are extrapolating one issue to every issue. Of course having a different opinion is not bigoted. Hating gays however is bigoted.

The equal right for me to have a civil partnership? I can't have one.
Well you do, it's just called marriage. (I agree marriage and civil in the the same sentence is sometimes stretching it a bit)
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Well you do, it's just called marriage. (I agree marriage and civil in the the same sentence is sometimes stretching it a bit)
Ah, but I don't like the implied religious-nous in the word marriage. I want a civil partnership which explicitly denies it.

Of course I am being facetious but there are people who will see it that way and who's to say that they are wrong?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Equality should mean:

Marriage or Civil Partnership - whether you are Gay or Straight, you should be able to choose which one suits your lifestyle choices! Its up to you - but you have the right to choose !

Simple, we would never be in this situation had Tony Blair not chickened out because of pressure from the Vatican when CP was introduced. To clarify CP stands for Civil Partnership, not Corporal Punishment.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:44 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I bet all the divorce lawyers are rubbing their hands - a whole new market!!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:52 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, but I don't like the implied religious-nous in the word marriage. I want a civil partnership which explicitly denies it.

Of course I am being facetious but there are people who will see it that way and who's to say that they are wrong?
You think the word marriage has religious overtones? I don't and I am a heathen. I was married in a civil ceremony but we did get to say 'I do', would not have felt married withoubthast part, My non religious gay friends in the UK had a civil partnership ceremony. Religious gay friends in Ontario were married in church. Doesn't seem fair that the UK couple were excluded from having a wedding ceremony with all the 'Do you take' s and 'I do's.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
AC, it seems like you are trying to dismiss the concept of bigotry? There is an argument that racism is not a valid concept, but I don't think the same can be said of bigotry which is a human/societal construct?
I accept bigotry exists. I don't think a difference of opinion or world view, in and of itself, is bigotry. For me, something else is required.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

I accept bigotry exists. I don't think a difference of opinion or world view, in and of itself, is bigotry. For me, something else is required.
When you have Tory MP's quoting the Daily Mail as source material and swearing by its accuracies and also then using the old ADAM and EVE quote.

Funnily enough however he said Adam and Steve by mistake - I would suggest that many people are bigots, especially much of the Tory Backbench !
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:22 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Quite right. I would give you karma for this but this damn tablet won't let me.
I quite agree with bats, and my tablet will so I have!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Well Guys - that's me exhausted for the night. Shall let you all know when Si and I decide to get married ( have to get there first). Maybe a Summer wedding and you can all come (those nr Tdot) and have a beer !
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:56 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I bet all the divorce lawyers are rubbing their hands - a whole new market!!
I don't know why anyone bothers whether it's a Marriage or Civil Partnership or whether you are Gay or Straight.

Sure there's some benefits with being married but it sure as hell ain't worth it when you go thru the divorce.

Just telling your partner that you love him/her should be good enough.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Just telling your partner that you love him/her should be good enough.
Canada is actually pretty good for that. Common law is legally recognized where it counts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.