Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill

Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill

Old Feb 5th 2013, 7:55 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads
HA, it is but it is also so much more .... tell your wife she took you "For Better, For Worse".
She didnt, our vows involved something about "not messing up her blue suede shoes" if I recall correctly... it was a while ago now. Even the buff Elvis who performed the deed is probably a fat vegas Elvis by now...

Last edited by iaink; Feb 5th 2013 at 8:30 am.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 7:58 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Why the use of emotive language? Why can't you simply accept that some may have a different opinion to you, but still believe you are entitled to your opinion?
Its not emotive language, its an adjective. Have you looked up the definition of bigot? The hat seems to fit to me.

Noun
bigot (plural bigots)
One who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices.
One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, gender or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 5th 2013 at 8:30 am.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:08 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Why the use of emotive language? Why can't you simply accept that some may have a different opinion to you, but still believe you are entitled to your opinion?
If somebody hates gays then, of course, they are entitled to that opinion. If they do that then I'm entitled to my opinion that they are a bigot.

It goes beyond that anyway. We are talking about a group of people who want to deprive another group of people rights that they themselves enjoy simply because they have a different sexual preference. What do you call such people? Personally I call them bigoted hypocritical ******s.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads
I know many gay catholics.

"There again there are those christians who are also human beings objecting to this so who is right and who is wrong?" - I am not saying that they do not have the rights to get married !
I find this intriguing too. We have a good friend who is gay and catholic, the church treats him with contempt but he still sticks with it.
Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is almost as if it is deliberately discriminatory and patronizing.

We "normal" people get married but you queers, well, you can have a civil partnership. Now, go away and stop being a nuisance.

I prefer your idea. Everyone has a civil partnership. Then you can go and bother whichever God you want. And call it what you want.
Yes agreed.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Its not emotive language, its an adjective. Have you looked up the definition of bigot? The hat seems to fit to me.
Not at all, someone may believe that marriage (as in a church) should only be between a man and women but that a legal union (insert whatever name you wish to call it) between any consenting adults is fine, while understanding why same sex couples wish to be able to marry. It doesn't mean they are bigoted anymore that criticizing someone of another race is necessarily racist.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
If somebody hates gays then, of course, they are entitled to that opinion. If they do that then I'm entitled to my opinion that they are a bigot.

It goes beyond that anyway. We are talking about a group of people who want to deprive another group of people rights that they themselves enjoy simply because they have a different sexual preference. What do you call such people? Personally I call them bigoted hypocritical ******s.
Catholic priests cannot marry, does that make them bigoted hypocritical ******s?

As has been stated above, it would appear that, legally, there is no difference between a marriage and a civil partnership. Some may say that, that being the case, they should be called the same thing. Others may disagree. Are those that disagree automatically bigots?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:41 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

The real religion/gay issue in Britain today is not so much the hypocritical CofE and conservative politicians but chaps like this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/ja...mophobic-video

The sooner we get rid of all this religious mumbo jumbo the better.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Catholic priests cannot marry, does that make them bigoted hypocritical ******s?
Well they generally are.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:46 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Not at all, someone may believe that marriage (as in a church) should only be between a man and women but that a legal union (insert whatever name you wish to call it) between any consenting adults is fine, while understanding why same sex couples wish to be able to marry. It doesn't mean they are bigoted anymore that criticizing someone of another race is necessarily racist.
Prohibiting somone from worshiping in your church based on race would be racist wouldnt it? Are there churches that refuse to include people based on race?

So how is precluding people based on sexuality anything but bigotted?

Besides catholic priest can get married they just have to find a new job.
One of the deacons at my wifes church was an anglican who migrated to the catholic faith. He's married, and could marry you in the catholic church should you choose. But not if you're gay of course...

Last edited by iaink; Feb 5th 2013 at 8:55 am.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:48 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

That's not even the same thing. Catholic priests cannot get married by choice. The state does not prevent them getting married. Membership and adherence to the catholic churches rules is entirely optional.

As has been stated above, it would appear that, legally, there is no difference between a marriage and a civil partnership. Some may say that, that being the case, they should be called the same thing. Others may disagree. Are those that disagree automatically bigots?
If there is no difference legally then why a difference in name? If you can provide a reason for this that doesn't have it's root cause in homophobia or bigotry than I am willing to hear it.

Note that I don't think private organizations should be forced to perform marriage ceremonies that conflict with their beliefs, however bigoted they are. You can't use laws to stop people being bigots, but you can use laws to ensure that the state gives all citizens (no matter what religion, race, gender, sexuality) equal rights in law.

Last edited by Alan2005; Feb 5th 2013 at 8:53 am.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:50 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Prohibiting somone from worshiping in your church based on race would be racist wouldnt it? Are there churches that refuse to include people based on race?

Not that I agree with it, but I think the difference is that the great-mumbo-jumbo book actually sets down the rules on same sex unions, whereas it doesn't on races. So for a member of the church, they might see it as following the higher authority rules.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:29 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Shard
Not that I agree with it, but I think the difference is that the great-mumbo-jumbo book actually sets down the rules on same sex unions, whereas it doesn't on races. So for a member of the church, they might see it as following the higher authority rules.
Most religious texts allow enough latitude that you can interpret it to support whatever prejudices you like.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know. I fail to see what relevance that has to my post.

Is having a difference of opinion with another bigotry then; simply the difference of opinion?

Besides catholic priest can get married they just have to find a new job.
One of the deacons at my wifes church was an anglican who migrated to the catholic faith. He's married, and could marry you in the catholic church should you choose. But not if you're gay of course...
I am not defending religion at all. What I object to is the suggestion that anyone that has a different view is a bigot. For example, is Piers Morgan a bigot because of his views on weapons in the US?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Well they generally are.
Fantastic. There is no answer to that, is there?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If there is no difference legally then why a difference in name? If you can provide a reason for this that doesn't have it's root cause in homophobia or bigotry than I am willing to hear it.
I can't think of one that isn't based upon religion. I don't care what they call it. I really don't. I do get annoyed with the suggestion that anyone that has an opinion different from the "majority" is automatically a bigot. The hypocrisy with such a suggestion is, evidently, lost of those that perform the name calling, present company aside of course.

Note that I don't think private organizations should be forced to perform marriage ceremonies that conflict with their beliefs, however bigoted they are. You can't use laws to stop people being bigots, but you can use laws to ensure that the state gives all citizens (no matter what religion, race, gender, sexuality) equal rights in law.
What equal rights have been lost that are not predicated on a religious ceremony?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:15 am
me/moi

I can't think of one that isn't based upon religion. I don't care what they call it. I really don't. I do get annoyed with the suggestion that anyone that has an opinion different from the "majority" is automatically a bigot. The hypocrisy with such a suggestion is, evidently, lost of those that perform the name calling, present company aside of course.

What equal rights have been lost that are not predicated on a religious ceremony?
AC, it seems like you are trying to dismiss the concept of bigotry? There is an argument that racism is not a valid concept, but I don't think the same can be said of bigotry which is a human/societal construct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.