Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

the Maritimes: the incredible shrinking region

the Maritimes: the incredible shrinking region

Old Mar 25th 2015, 7:16 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Maritimes: the incredible shrinking region

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I guess that's a great thing then - being US minded rather than NS!
It's just the same as all the U.S. Companies I have ever worked for except this one is actually a NS company, it operates similarly
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
I can honestly say that's not the case where I live. Lots of thriving independent businesses in my hood
They come and go here. You need a niche business for it to survive, coffee shops that cater to the modern urban hippy or whatever do well. Think fair trade, vegan, gluten free everything....

You need unique and niche to survive in this town.

The town is well know for the revolving door of small businesses. Here today, gone tomorrow.

Chains do well, we have 2 starbucks, 2 tims, Mcd's, and so on.

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Your defeatist attitude is, I suspect, all that is holding you back.

There are many posters on this board that are self employed. I'll wager that none of them started with $500,000, or anything approaching that.
Would have to be retail, or coffee shop or something along those lines for this town, and those all cost big $$$ to open and operate and based on history of the town, probably wouldn't do well unless you found some sort of unique niche market nobody has tapped yet.

Really nothing within my experience and knowledge service wise I could offer that wouldn't require a ton of money upfront, we have sat and tried to think of ideas before.

I could run a small hotel, but need a cool million at least to buy a small old one downtown. (I think it was listed at 1.3 million or around there.)

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
true. I have a few entrepreneur friends, and they've had mixed success. For some of them it's not about being millionaires, they just like being their own boss and just want to make enough money to live. What they all have in common, though, is an appetite for risk and willingness to live without certainty - and the ability to improvise! and work really hard when needed.

Me and risk don't mix, I don't have the personality to take risk, I need stability and consistency or I get super stressed out. Probably why being an entrepreneur has never exactly appealed to me, that along with having no good idea's people would pay money for.....

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Isn't the "it's not what you know it's who you know" prevalent in Canada generally, hence all the advice about networking
Yes, and in the US as well.

If you know the right person/s you can move along pretty nicely in both countries.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 1:03 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That is the easy part, the hard part is the 1/2 million needed to get it up and running....

One needs money to make money and start a business, without the money part no business plan or courage to make a go of it will work.
You do need some money to start in business, maybe not $500K, but $50K would suffice. If it's simple self-employment even $5K may suffice, although of course, not everyone has access to or is able to risk (even) $5K.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
You do need some money to start in business, maybe not $500K, but $50K would suffice. If it's simple self-employment even $5K may suffice, although of course, not everyone has access to or is able to risk (even) $5K.
I know there are cheaper business to start, just the things I have an interest in/experience in are all cost to enter types (retail or hotel and such).

I had just looked into a run down of a retail type business of sorts, and between real estate, inventory needed, various fees and taxes, construction and so on, the estimate was between 300,000 and 500,000.

I just can't think of any sort of business, I could do that isn't high cost to enter. I don't have a skill that people would pay for a service that would allow work from for example.

(Home business isn't even an option since our lease specifically says no home based business permitted.)

But regardless, no way to even fund something as low as 5,000. Coming up with 100 dollars for something is even hard...lol
Old Mar 29th 2015, 7:05 am
Just Joined

Lost Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Cabelas and Bass Pro are a bit of a disaster for the economy of wherever they open shops. Firstly they have the local tax base distorted to pay them as "attractions" rather than them paying taxes as shops. Secondly, they put the local shops out of business. I'd think a Cabelas shop to be as valuable to the local economy as a clap clinic.

Why Have So Many Cities and Towns Given Away So Much Money to Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's? - CityLab

I'd love to have Cabelas set up near Halifax. I have to buy most of my hunting/fishing gear by mail order from Cabelas in Winnipeg anyway as the choice offered by Canadian Tire/Walmart is generally poor and there aren't any other decent outfitters that I can think of who would lose business to Cabelas.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Lost Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been in Nova Scotia since 1998 and seen successive Cons, NDP and Liberal governments. They are all united by dire lack of imagination and unwillingness to upset the status quo, ploughing millions of tax payers dollars into propping up archaic failing resource industries such as pulp mills, while failing to reign in public spending in order to reduce the huge provincial debt. I had not heard of political "patronage" before coming here but a classic example was the last NDP government handing the wealthy Irvings a $300 million "forgivable loan" to prepare for the building of hugely overpriced warships.
Nova Scotia seems to be in a long spiral of decline and like other commentators, I don't see anything changing for the next decade or two. High taxes and lack of jobs are driving away young people, the standard of junior to high school education sucks, and 1970s "winter of discontent" style trades unions don't help either.
Oh, and have you seen the price of milk!
Old Mar 29th 2015, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

First time ever apparently in New Brunswick, deaths outnumbered births.

New Brunswick deaths topped births for first time last year - New Brunswick - CBC News
Old Mar 30th 2015, 1:10 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Not according to the chart as I read it, just outstripping them a lot more. Maybe I'm reading it wrong
Old Mar 30th 2015, 6:18 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Not according to the chart as I read it, just outstripping them a lot more. Maybe I'm reading it wrong
Where is the chart?
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:19 am
Account Closed

Apparently only Florida has an older popular then Atlantic Canada, in North America.

New Brunswick sees more deaths than births for first time - Macleans.ca

So according to Stats Canada:

Births: 6,826 (down every year since 2009/2010 which is the furthest this goes back)

Births, estimates, by province and territory

Deaths: 6,835

Deaths, estimates, by province and territory

So a difference of 9. So the headlines are technically correct.... I suppose if this rate stayed constant there would be barely enough to sustain the current population?