Mac help

Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:31 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mac help

Hey all! So what the hell is going on. Okay. From what I understand you are able to read the contents of your drive but you can not write to it. There is a method that I've used in order to get Ownership rights over my Window's drives that have been formatted NTFS. You will need to do the following things.

1.) Go to Finder>Applications>Utilities>Terminal.
2.) Look at your finder and see what the name is of the external hard drive listed on the left.
3.) Using Terminal (don't be scared using it. it's just like DOS for Mac), type the following... chmod ugo +rwx /volumes/[name of external hard drive]. You do NOT type the brackets.
4.) Test if you are able to write to it and let me know how that works.

Erin (from the USA boards)

Last edited by ugacrew; Feb 9th 2008 at 12:38 am. Reason: MISTAKE IN SYNTAX FOR COMMAND
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

AS Erin said. Have seen this before. It's write permissions inherited from the PC. The drive thinks you're an impostor and stops you writing to it. If you go back to the PC and plug it in there, change the write permissions to allow all and you should be just fine.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:52 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
AS Erin said. Have seen this before. It's write permissions inherited from the PC. The drive thinks you're an impostor and stops you writing to it. If you go back to the PC and plug it in there, change the write permissions to allow all and you should be just fine.
It won't work doing it that way because it's still NTFS. You have to change the permissions on the Mac side. I've tried that method before.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
It won't work doing it that way because it's still NTFS. You have to change the permissions on the Mac side. I've tried that method before.
Hmm... Maybe the drives we did that to were FAT32.

I know we did something. I might be a trained MCSC but I have hardly touched a PC in 5 years so can't remember my way around them. I let my PC friends deal with that.