British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Lunchtime Choices (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/lunchtime-choices-683559/)

mandymoochops Feb 25th 2011 4:44 am

Re: Lunchtime Choices

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9200347)
As long as I can find some big jars, I'm thinking of sourcing some free range eggs and pickling them with proper malt vinegar if I can find some. Anyone want to go in on them?

thinking of a business idea - we have sheep and lambs coming in a couple of months - fattening them up, butchering them and then selling the lamb (my Canadian family can't see the pull in lamb!!!!!). Surely Brits would like lamb and pickled eggs!

Oink Feb 25th 2011 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 9200360)
thinking of a business idea - we have sheep and lambs coming in a couple of months - fattening them up, butchering them and then selling the lamb (my Canadian family can't see the pull in lamb!!!!!). Surely Brits would like lamb and pickled eggs!

There's huge demand for lamb out here in Vancouver. The fresh locally sourced stuff is particularly pricey.

Alan2005 Feb 25th 2011 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9200347)
As long as I can find some big jars, I'm thinking of sourcing some free range eggs and pickling them with proper malt vinegar if I can find some. Anyone want to go in on them?

I'll go in on them. But do it properly though - I don't want botulism.

The4BellsLondon Feb 25th 2011 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9201060)
There's huge demand for lamb out here in Vancouver. The fresh locally sourced stuff is particularly pricey.

I have a friend in The Ridge who has free range hens n eggs ....

Oink Feb 25th 2011 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 9202049)
I have a friend in The Ridge who has free range hens n eggs ....

Does she come into town to sell them? At a farmer's market or a local shop?

Alan2005 Feb 25th 2011 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9202055)

I'm thinking about doing this too. Have an area nicely fenced off and a coop, just need to put a roof over it and buy some chickens.

The4BellsLondon Feb 25th 2011 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9202055)

naah =- she sells em to us at the gym at pitt meadows! 3.50 for a dozen

The4BellsLondon Feb 25th 2011 8:20 pm

I was going to get one of these before we left UK! an eggloo http://www.omlet.co.uk/homepage/

Oink Feb 25th 2011 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9202062)
I'm thinking about doing this too. Have an area nicely fenced off and a coop, just need to put a roof over it and buy some chickens.

You have to make sure their well protected as I had chickens as a child only to come home from school after the neighbours dog had killed them all and left them strewn across our back lawn. :(

Alan2005 Feb 25th 2011 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9202075)
You have to make sure their well protected as I had chickens as a child only to come home from school after the neighbours dog had killed them all and left them strewn across our back lawn. :(

Yes. There are coyotes and other annoying creatures to contend with. No bears though.

Chookie Feb 27th 2011 11:45 pm

We treated the kids to dim sum yesterday (steamed dumplings... YUM!).

Today, due to everyone getting up ridiculously late and having breakfast at 11am we decided to skip lunch and go straight for an early dinner of roast chicken.

Oink May 5th 2011 7:19 pm

Please excuse the dredging up of an old thread but I was thinking of braving the fish tacos that are being offered for lunch today and wanted to get some opinions before I dive in.

Atlantic Xpat May 5th 2011 7:23 pm

Fish Taco's? I'd give that a miss if I were you mate. Have a nice ham sandwich instead.

Oink May 5th 2011 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 9345654)
Fish Taco's? I'd give that a miss if I were you mate. Have a nice ham sandwich instead.

I'm with you but apparently catering is now being run by some thematically challenged individuals and as such Taco Thursday's are the order of the day. I've never had fish ones and thought I'd try and experience the full experience of Canadian life lest anyone suggests I'm not willing to embrace my new culture.

Jingsamichty May 5th 2011 7:42 pm

I thought fish tacos was a euphumism.