British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Lunchtime Choices (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/lunchtime-choices-683559/)

Oink May 5th 2011 7:47 am

Re: Lunchtime Choices

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 9345685)
I thought fish tacos was a euphumism.

They're not that bad as it happens. Although I think I probably should wandered down to the pub for a burger, chips and a pint. Plus, in the good NA fashion I can carrying on working while having my lunch. Now 'working' is definitely a euphemism.

Atlantic Xpat May 5th 2011 7:57 am

I was out and about in downtown St John's this lunchtime running some errands. I miraculously found a parking spot near the brewpub that does a very passable pint & slightly overblown gastro pub food. It required all the willpower I possess not to have popped in for a couple of pints and a burger. The need to talk coherently, or at least appear interested, in a IT issues call at 2pm kept my feet on the straight and narrow path.:(

Oink May 5th 2011 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 9345706)
I was out and about in downtown St John's this lunchtime running some errands. I miraculously found a parking spot near the brewpub that does a very passable pint & slightly overblown gastro pub food. It required all the willpower I possess not to have popped in for a couple of pints and a burger. The need to talk coherently, or at least appear interested, in a IT issues call at 2pm kept my feet on the straight and narrow path.:(

The need to speak coherently is not an issue in my line of work although the need not to fall asleep in meetings tends to keep my consumption down to a couple of pints at lunchtime. Now if it was Friday all social conventions aside, they all bugger off.

helcat12 May 6th 2011 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 9345706)

A paragon of virtue and an example to us all, I think.
I was less principled and since it is a sunny day here in the UK and I am not working, I had ice-cream for lunch.
Yes, just ice-cream.
It was clotted cream ice-cream with honeycomb, for those who like the details.:)

Oink May 6th 2011 5:54 am

FYI, don't order the fish tacos ever, no matter how good an idea it seems at the moment. :(

helcat12 May 6th 2011 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9347712)
FYI, don't order the fish tacos ever, no matter how good an idea it seems at the moment. :(

Hands up who saw that one coming:lightbulb::rofl:

Atlantic Xpat May 6th 2011 10:59 am

Told. You. So.

Novocastrian May 6th 2011 11:03 am

Dear me. Why-ever not? Fish tacos (at least those I had in Ensanado (sp?) a few years ago) were lovely. Gorgeous I might go so far as.

Jingsamichty May 6th 2011 11:35 am

My wife's fish tacos are lovely. But I wouldn't risk trying them anywhere else.

Oink May 6th 2011 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9348237)
Dear me. Why-ever not? Fish tacos (at least those I had in Ensanado (sp?) a few years ago) were lovely. Gorgeous I might go so far as.

Okay I'll amend that rather blanket statement to say, don't order the fish tacos if they're 'cooked' by a dodgy and seemly apathetic institutional catering department. :(

The4BellsLondon May 6th 2011 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9348291)
Okay I'll amend that rather blanket statement to say, don't order the fish tacos if they're 'cooked' by a dodgy and seemly apathetic institutional catering department. :(

Oh dear - is one feeling a little green around the gills today - :rofl:

sorry xxxx

Novocastrian May 6th 2011 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9348291)

I'll generalize that; don't order the food if it's 'cooked' by a dodgy and seemly apathetic institutional catering department.

Unless the alternative is Tim Hortons Ham and Swiss with engine oil.

Alan2005 May 20th 2011 8:06 am

Today I had suasage, egg and chips with lashings of ketchup.

I was going to have a cheese sandwich, but they had some sausages at the supermarket that they were calling "english style" which I hadn't spotted before. I gave them a go, and whilst not being the best sausages ever, they were actually surprisingly good. I shall be buying them again.

Oink May 20th 2011 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9377907)

I was going to have a cheese sandwich, but they had some sausages at the supermarket that they were calling "english style" which I hadn't spotted before. I gave them a go, and whilst not being the best sausages ever, they were actually surprisingly good. I shall be buying them again.

Which shop and how much?

I'll be having a burger and chips, a choice I should have made two weeks ago. Although they never seem to do peas with the burgers over here. :(
Plus, as everybody seems to have buggered off for the long weekend, I won't be coming back from the pub anytime soon.

Steve_P May 20th 2011 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9377907)

You had me right up to the ketchup. What a way to ruin a good meal. :p