Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Leaving winter tires on over the summer

Leaving winter tires on over the summer

Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:46 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving winter tires on over the summer

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Buy a trolley jack, changed mine on saturday in a little under half an hour
Even with the standard-issue scissor jack and the enthusiastic help of an excitable 4-year-old, it took me a little less than an hour to do mine yesterday. Definitely worth the extra investment in an extra set of steel rims for winter, if only so the alloys don't get so badly salt-damaged (hell, they suffer enough already from the kerbs...)
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Mine were stuck on so tight after removing the bolts I still couldnt get them off Thats never happened before.

As the alloys were leaking and needed reseating I just bit the bullet and took them in to be done for me anyway.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:12 pm
Snickle Hubble-Sprinkles

The_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
Mine were stuck on so tight after removing the bolts I still couldnt get them off Thats never happened before.

As the alloys were leaking and needed reseating I just bit the bullet and took them in to be done for me anyway.
The perils of Alloy wheels in winter. It's called galvanic corrosion and the alloy wheel is actually bonding into the steel hub through a layer of oxidised metal. A layer of jointing compound will prevent it, or a large hammer will break it (do not hit the alloy rim!).
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Bax
The perils of Alloy wheels in winter. It's called galvanic corrosion and the alloy wheel is actually bonding into the steel hub through a layer of oxidised metal. A layer of jointing compound will prevent it, or a large hammer will break it (do not hit the alloy rim!).
Not this time, those were the brand new steel rims for the snows. And a 5lb lump hammer wasnt moving them.

What it was is the brake callipers have been jammed on and rubbing since the fall, and everything was getting very hot. I remember when I put them on and took it for a spin thinking it was a bit oddly hot when I got back and checked they were on snug, but I cranked them on tight with the torque wrench anyway. I guess when everything cooled down again that the contraction forced things on good and tight, and the fresh paint / powdercoat on the new rims deformed to make a nice solid bond.

Lesson learned...if something seems odd, it probably is so dont drive for another 5 months before getting it looked at

Just cost me $650 for new rotors all round... Old age and heat had warped the fronts and pretty much destroyed the rears.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:44 pm
Snickle Hubble-Sprinkles

The_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
Not this time, those were the brand new steel rims for the snows. And a 5lb lump hammer wasnt moving them.

What it was is the brake callipers have been jammed on and rubbing since the fall, and everything was getting very hot. I remember when I put them on and took it for a spin thinking it was a bit oddly hot when I got back and checked they were on snug, but I cranked them on tight with the torque wrench anyway. I guess when everything cooled down again that the contraction forced things on good and tight, and the fresh paint / powdercoat on the new rims deformed to make a nice solid bond.

Lesson learned...if something seems odd, it probably is so dont drive for another 5 months before getting it looked at

Just cost me $650 for new rotors all round... Old age and heat had warped the fronts and pretty much destroyed the rears.
OOPS! Needed a bigger hammer then!