Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Leaving address off resume

Leaving address off resume

Old Jan 13th 2017, 6:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving address off resume

Originally Posted by Tigger1
Have you ever tried Open Door Group?
That is exactly what my stepson needs...except that here in NB it's only done for physical disabilities or where someone gets social assistance and he doesn't qualify for that because of the household income policy that leaves him without any kind of income.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 8:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The only thing I would add to the most excellent post above is that the daily exercise dog walking would provide would be a very good thing for you JS. I know for myself when I was at a very low place recently my partner forcing me to get out and exercise was a real godsend.

As for the address on a resume, I only have my name, email address and mobile phone number. A potential employer doesn't need to know where I live until I'm offered a job. The commute is my problem, not theirs.
The dog goes for a walk almost daily, usually 20-30 mins.

Originally Posted by Tigger1
Have you ever tried Open Door Group? They offer programs to help people get back into work, they have employers they work with and help support employers who hire people with disabilities (both physical and mental) and other barriers to employment. Could be worth checking out? Open Door Group
I haven't heard of them, I do go to the work BC office locally, haven't gotten much help really, as they don't really seem geared towards those with barriers or disabilities, but I go to the meetings/classes.

I'll have to email the link above and see if you have to live in specific catchment area's, they seem more suited to helping those with barriers then the place out here.

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
No JS- you have pointed out barriers which cannot be ignored but a lot of people get jobs having had extended periods away from work, often away from the workplace as a result of mental health problems. as you can imagine, we come across a lot of patients with both physical and mental health problems-around us certainly is not overflowing with jobs be they skilled or jobs which don't require special skills.

With determination and some guidance, they do find work, they may not want to stay in the initial jobs long-term but ultimately they then progress having used these jobs as a stepping stone and thereby, produce continuity of jobs which looks better on resumes and then go on from there climbing up the ladder to get to jobs that they actually do want to do.

It must be very hard sometimes for you talking on this forum about jobs, looking for jobs and what other people are doing, I can very much appreciate how this might feel. I am sure that you get very frustrated. I sometimes wonder whether your quest for an ideal area is just simply a request for Nirvana-nowhere is ideal,there are some places which really are not good for you- perhaps they are the ones to avoid but to be honest most places have something to offer if you look deep enough-obviously the accommodation at a reasonable price is crucial to you both as well as accommodation for the menagerie including Charlee!

What I am trying to say is that other people have had these perceived barriers put in front of them and they have managed to progress. Difficult certainly, mental health issues often similar to yourself and indeed sometimes worse but I am trying to instill in that no one will write you off unfortunately, if you do develop a bit of a nihilistic attitude, I know it is tempting, you will just stay away from trying to work-you will continue to drift on to enforced alternative destinations and accommodation with little prospect of employment and consequently being a poorly self-esteemed and unhappy chap -not a great combination for your morale and at mental health

No one will write to you off, you just needs to be determined, to continue and get out there and look, obviously rejection when you apply for jobs is very hard, this happens to everybody and I would be amazed if there was one-person on this forum who hasnt had a significant rejection issue in their lives, commonly more than one I think your attitude towards driving needs to change, not large distances just so that you are a little more mobile locally if this coincides with your wife's needs driving wise.this will increase your range slightly you don't have to drive to Vancouver-I feel that this thought and plan was suspect and unsustainable both from the strain of driving as well as financial reward

I know I keep on harping back to the dog walking business but I think that that is one that you really seriously need to consider and not dismiss. Local, you don't need any additional training-there may be some free training at the local Dog training clubs which is frequently free just so that you can handle unfamiliar dogs and also how to expertly and safely handle more than one dog which is not your own. You may also then get to know the dog owners and in the canine environment that you would then be in, you may well get potential clients without any advertising needed! This would certainly be a bonus! I'm wondering whether perhaps someone from community futures might give you some guidance on this-if not them, another organisation to try and help you buildup a basic business plan for this possible small business setup. I really cannot say that there should be any significant large setup expenses, cheap advertising should be very easy if not free putting up advert's particularly in vet surgeries,pet shops etc. Facebook also, people then start looking when other of their friends are using the service and your reputations spreads. This was done by our initial dog walker when me moved into Canada. Then buildup slowly, only taking an work when you feel comfortable. This certainly should not start ramping up stress with you. Start gentle and hopefully that will be less likely to happen as you can more or less choose the hours.

Just some thoughts-I think you need a little bit of an injection of optimistic spirits-clearly the cold weather has been doing your head in and cabin fever seems to be settling! Good luck-Pick our brains if needs be, as you have seen on the pets thread there are so many dog owners on this forum and I am sure that they would readily volunteer advice to you. I would still perhaps look to local advice bureaus if they don't cost anything to try and help you out.
Good luck-winter is a great time to plan-it is to damn cold for anything else!
No so much Nirvana or perfection, just rents are increasing at a faster rate then we can absorb, and it's concerning.

Neither of us like Chilliwack, we both hate living here, but it was the place we could find something we could sorta afford. Best place for us would be Vancouver proper as that is where the best mental health supports are.

Job wise I look as far as Abbotsford/Aldergrove and sometimes even in WA state since I can also work across the border.

Vancouver/Airport area etc is just too far as my wage level I agree. The cost of gas alone was something like $400/month at November prices.

I have no issue commuting to Abbotsford and do apply for jobs out that way as well as Chilliwack, even applied to a few places in Hope as it's not that far, 30-35 mins and easy highway driving.

I do best in jobs where I largely work alone, and work at my pace. That is why I do well in Night Audit at the job itself, largely work alone, little distractions can work at a pace I do well at but grave yard shifts destroy your mental health overtime and I simply can't maintain good mental health being awake all night, and sleeping all day.

If there were a night audit like job that worked during the day, then that would be a near perfect match.

Only long term job I had was the airline loading planes, never found it stressful, had downtime between flights to recover, and was largely enjoyable. Only downside to the job was when your last flight of the day was late...lol

I also did well when I did hotel security, wasn't boring, could walk around a 17 story building doing patrols, so the night went fast. I just can't do security at the moment in BC due to licensing requirements and mental health barrier.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 13th 2017 at 9:01 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 9:00 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

I do best in jobs where I largely work alone, and work at my pace. That is why I do well in Night Audit at the job itself, largely work alone, little distractions can work at a pace I do well at but grave yard shifts destroy your mental health overtime and I simply can't maintain good mental health being awake all night, and sleeping all day.

Only long term job I had was the airline loading planes, never found it stressful, had downtime between flights to recover, and was largely enjoyable. Only downside to the job was when your last flight of the day was late...lol
Would not your dog walking business enable you to do this???

Why are you so intent on travelling big distances? It doesn't make sense- you asked if we would and we said no!

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jan 13th 2017 at 9:04 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Would not your dog walking business enable you to do this???
I am working on getting dog walking up and going, get some passing interest but nothing concrete or steady yet.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

Email address should suffice in lieu of address.

Based on a recent news article I saw, just don't call yourself Leroy...
Old Jan 13th 2017, 9:19 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I am working on getting dog walking up and going, get some passing interest but nothing concrete or steady yet.
Good to hear
Plug us for any help/advice in the enterprise if you need it
Old Jan 13th 2017, 10:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent news! Well done!

You could also offer feeding, letting out or taken to the groomers or vet.. all things people need help with from time to time

If you want some practice (and free 'hands on training'), Chilliwack SPCA are looking for dog walkers http://www.spca.bc.ca/branches/chill...lliwack-1.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 13th 2017 at 10:38 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 11:16 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Siouxie

You could also offer feeding, letting out or taken to the groomers or vet.. all things people need help with from time to time

If you want some practice (and free 'hands on training'), Chilliwack SPCA are looking for dog walkers BC SPCA: Dog Walker

That is a brilliant idea- That would give you experience in handling unruly docs with longer legs and way worse manners than Charlee! That would also look great when you could write experienced SPCA dog walker on your advertising when you had done some sessions
Old Jan 13th 2017, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

Good to hear
Plug us for any help/advice in the enterprise if you need it
Will do.

Originally Posted by Siouxie

If you want some practice (and free 'hands on training'), Chilliwack SPCA are looking for dog walkers BC SPCA: Dog Walker

Will look into it, I did do some dog walking in the US over the years for the shelter there.

Originally Posted by DandNHill
My two additions...

I don't put my address on my resume. Also if you apply for example through Indeed their website hides it anyway...

Ive been doing a bit of dog boarding. I use a site called dogvacay.com. You can set up a profile and people contact you about boarding. You can also do dog walking and other dog related services. They take their cut and provide insurance. Very like Airbnb.
Check it out...
I am looking into dog vacay.

I see many postings for a few jobs that sound interesting and fulfilling, and they don't require huge amounts of education but do require some formal training, but man that training is hard to get in BC as tuition isn't very affordable.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 13th 2017 at 11:24 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 12:12 am
I need a walk

Will do.

Will look into it, I did do some dog walking in the US over the years for the shelter there.

I am looking into dog vacay.

I see many postings for a few jobs that sound interesting and fulfilling, and they don't require huge amounts of education but do require some formal training, but man that training is hard to get in BC as tuition isn't very affordable.
I initially thought you were trying to get into boarding which wouldn't be practical in view of renting but using the network to get dog walking is a great idea

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jan 14th 2017 at 12:17 am.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 12:17 am
Account Closed

How would that be practical in a rental apartment/ condo? That may break a few tenancy rules... I would think dog walking is your best bet, getting you out in the fresh air and earning you money...win, win
They let you also post dog walking only. I figured it might lead to more business for dog walking.

You can opt out of dog sitting and use the site just for walking dogs.

Looks like I posted as the same time you updated...lol
Old Jan 14th 2017, 12:18 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...that would give you experience in handling unruly docs with longer legs and way worse manners....
A Freudian slip if ever there was one.

Unruly doc instead of I need a walk?
Old Jan 14th 2017, 12:20 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by BristolUK
A Freudian slip if ever there was one.

Unruly doc instead of I need a walk?

It always autocorrects to that on my iPad Grrrr
Old Jan 14th 2017, 12:26 am
Oscar nominated

It always autocorrects to that on my iPad Grrrr
A Freudian slip - when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 3:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The dog goes for a walk almost daily, usually 20-30 mins.
Does she let you go with her or is it her girl time ?

Seriously. It hurts my heart when I read you feel so rubbish about yourself. Especially when it's not true of you at all.

As far as I am concerned you are a very kind , caring , helpful and compassionate man. That shines in your BE posts. Your wife is also smashing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.