Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

kindness of strangers

kindness of strangers

Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kindness of strangers

Originally Posted by dbd33
I haven't heard it outside of the board. I think it's a western term for a place in a housing development with large lots.
its used all the time on real estate stuff round here. Never heard a real person use it though, they just say "a bit of land around me"
Old Feb 8th 2008, 2:36 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
its used all the time on real estate stuff round here. Never heard a real person use it though, they just say "a bit of land around me"
Yea? I've never even heard it from realtors. They (and I, see below)) say something along the lines of a 70x400 foot lot. That's strange enough for me to have difficulty getting used to after only 26 years.

Yes, dbd, they say feet. Astonishing how backward your average Canadian realtor is, eh?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 2:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yes, dbd, they say feet. Astonishing how backward your average Canadian realtor is, eh?
Not so much. The land is surveyed in acres, the roads run so many yards apart and everything's subdivided from that, so if you want to use round numbers in an advert you have to use proper measures. Of course you could advertise "house with .455 hectograms" but not if you want to sell it. It's rather like butter or eggs "Eggs $3 a dozen, metric eggs $3 for ten". The metric is offered for compliance not for sanity.

Incidentally, a real conversation from a petrol station in the storm before last:

Man pumping into a Beetle "What mileage dya get from that ?"

Me "I dunno the pumps are metric so it's too difficult to work out, better than 20 I think"

Man "you have to go by tanks now, I get a thousand clickies from a tank"

Me "how many gallons?"

Man "I used to know"

It was an act of supreme arrogance as well as stupidity for the Canadian government to think the population would all suddenly be able to translate real and metric measures in the their heads.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Andthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not so much. The land is surveyed in acres, the roads run so many yards apart and everything's subdivided from that, so if you want to use round numbers in an advert you have to use proper measures. Of course you could advertise "house with .455 hectograms" but not if you want to sell it. It's rather like butter or eggs "Eggs $3 a dozen, metric eggs $3 for ten". The metric is offered for compliance not for sanity.

Incidentally, a real conversation from a petrol station in the storm before last:

Man pumping into a Beetle "What mileage dya get from that ?"

Me "I dunno the pumps are metric so it's too difficult to work out, better than 20 I think"

Man "you have to go by tanks now, I get a thousand clickies from a tank"

Me "how many gallons?"

Man "I used to know"

It was an act of supreme arrogance as well as stupidity for the Canadian government to think the population would all suddenly be able to translate real and metric measures in the their heads.
Metric is real dbd.... It's modern and more accurate than imperial.

I don't do imperial for anything other than speed. Distance, volume, temperatures, sizes etc are all metric to me! Imperial is just gibberish.

And FYI - I get about 9 miles to a litre.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:51 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andthen;
And FYI - I get about 9 miles to a litre.
aarrrggggh!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:03 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. And before AX chastises me for neglecting to mention it. It was a-snowing in Richmond Hill overnight too. 35 bloody centimetres.

(a bit more than a foot, dbd, but less than one seventeen hundredth of a furlong)..
The snow status for Richmond Hill is a matter of vital importance to the British Expats community. Imagine the chaos that would be caused if 'it was-a-snowing-in Richmond Hill' and you failed to advise everyone. The horror.....
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:07 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat;
The snow status for Richmond Hill is a matter of vital importance to the British Expats community. Imagine the chaos that would be caused if 'it was-a-snowing-in Richmond Hill' and you failed to advise everyone. The horror.....
I realize this. Snow is such a rarity on the rock you're forced to live vicariously through our local winter time pleasures.

I still haven't got a proper answer to my "acreage" question though. Do you have them out there?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:14 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I realize this. Snow is such a rarity on the rock you're forced to live vicariously through our local winter time pleasures.
So true. We haven't had a storm for, ohh 10 days or so now and a even quite the thaw to boot. My acre (as opposed to acreage) is down to a mere 2ft of snow pack in places! Spring is clearly on the way............... (in about June).

I still haven't got a proper answer to my "acreage" question though. Do you have them out there?
It's not a term I've seen used in real estate ads here. I would imagine dbd33's ranch is an "Acreage" but my acre lot is, well, just a big garden.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

In Saskatchewan people talk about "acreages" all the time. I have a friend who bought an acreage with an Eaton's catalogue house on it. If you don't know what an Eaton's catalogue house is - way back in the early 1900s I think it was, Eaton's sold houses in their catalogue. You can google it and find pictures.

Anyway, you see acreages for sale. People talk about wanting to buy an acreage. Its a very common term out here.

And as to metric, I think it was Pierre Trudeau or someone that decided it was a good idea to be metric, even though our nearest neighbours don't use it. I don't care how bloody accurate it is - its stupid to force it on people. My sons are in their 30s and they learnt metric at school, but they still talk about inches and miles and if someone tells me there is going to be 10centimetres of snow, I really don't know if its going to be ankle high or knee high. I am a little better with temperatures. I know that anything above 35 is bloody hot weather. I know a metre is a little bit more than a yard.

But apart from that ....
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:22 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

back to the kindness theme (sorry guys!)

Whilst waiting to pay for my shopping an old lady in front of me (don't know how old, but the sort you'd look at and say "there's an old lady") asked if I would like to go first as my milk looked heavy

(this opposed to being walloped over the head in the UK by an brolly wielding coffin dodger)

I was speechless at that act I have to say. So anyhoo walking home with only a couple of shopping bags, the local taxi cab driver who lives near me was going by (in his cab) and asked if I wanted a ride home (for nothing).

I nearly choked at this point and made a mental note to put a thread on here about it but never did so thanks Batty!!!!

Old Feb 8th 2008, 2:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I would imagine dbd33's ranch is an "Acreage" but my acre lot is, well, just a big garden.
Farm. Hobby farm. Equestrian facility. House and/on n acres. Are the terms I see used in adverts here.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Yea? I've never even heard it from realtors. They (and I, see below)) say something along the lines of a 70x400 foot lot. That's strange enough for me to have difficulty getting used to after only 26 years.

http://www.youronlineagents.com/pete...erty_typeid=65
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:46 pm
Born again atheist

So it just means a piece of land of arbitrary size? Seems a useless term to me, but live and let live, eh?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

So it just means a piece of land of arbitrary size? Seems a useless term to me, but live and let live, eh?
Yep, just means a bit of land with the place, but bigger than 1 acre I think.

These realtors like their jargon.

Kerb appeal = house looks nice
1/2 bathroom = loo only
etc etc
Old Feb 8th 2008, 4:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Perhaps it only kicks in at a million dollars?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.