Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

kindness of strangers

kindness of strangers

Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default kindness of strangers

My neighbour, female, middle aged, was out shovelling snow. The heap of snow the snow plough left at the end of the drive-is there a technical term for that? Anyroad, a man was driving by, stopped his car, took a shovel out of the trunk and helped her shovel.

Plus a neighbour came by when MOH was digging out at 7am with a snow blower to clear the heap of snow the snow plough left at the end of the drive

Isnt that nice
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kindness of strangers

Originally Posted by daft batty
My neighbour, female, middle aged, was out shovelling snow. The heap of snow the snow plough left at the end of the drive-is there a technical term for that? Anyroad, a man was driving by, stopped his car, took a shovel out of the trunk and helped her shovel.

Plus a neighbour came by when MOH was digging out at 7am with a snow blower to clear the heap of snow the snow plough left at the end of the drive

Isnt that nice
Oh thats so nice makes you feel all warm inside too think some sweet people still exist
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:55 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thats what I love about this place. It always seems like something like that happens. Dont take it for granted though...

I think thats one of the things that has changed in me in my ten years here now....I am much more likely to stop what I am doing to help a stranger than I ever would have been in the UK. I guess its contagous?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:09 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt that nice
Yeah, it's all a bit of a neighbourly love-in here too! The windrows (I think that's the word) were pretty huge after the plow [See - Canadian spelling!! I'm going native] came by this morning. The chap over the road with a snowblower came and cleared mine and my neighbours' windrows as we'd both only just finished shovelling the driveways and were discussing how bad the plow's timing was... he probably did others too but I was on my way out.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:12 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
plow
Turning into a real fake, I see. Hyacinth will not be pleased.

Batty, that is a nice story.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:12 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's all a bit of a neighbourly love-in here too! The windrows (I think that's the word) were pretty huge after the plow [See - Canadian spelling!! I'm going native] came by this morning. The chap over the road with a snowblower came and cleared mine and my neighbours' windrows as we'd both only just finished shovelling the driveways and were discussing how bad the plow's timing was... he probably did others too but I was on my way out.
Yep happens here in NB too.

Never heard of windrows only term I have heard is "that b@gger of a ploughdriver built fortifications at the end of me drive"

Last edited by Dave+Jules; Feb 7th 2008 at 7:13 pm. Reason: bad language
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

The heap of snow the snow plough left at the end of the drive-is there a technical term for that?
An example of Nature's bounty, generously provided for your use by the city's Service Department.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

I've had two nice occurences with snow clearing this winter.

A month or so ago, I was shovelling the snowbank (that's what I would call it) as it was a little bit high for me just to blast over with my SUV (hubby wasn't up yet to snowblow). I stood back for a second to let the plow go by as I didn't want to get squished, and he kindly shoved the whole lot into the ditch for me.

And then last night, we came home to find that a mystery neighbour had plowed our driveway. I just feel guilty about not knowing who to thank.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Thats when its worth making a plate of brownies and taking them over to say thanks
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:29 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Thats when its worth making a plate of brownies and taking them over to say thanks
I have found a bottle of wine at christmas or at the end of the snow season is a nice way of saying thank you too.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

People in my street appear to be on a contract - although there is one neighbour with a snowblower. I see this guy pushing one down the street and do a couple of driveways.

There was a letter in the Moncton paper the other day. Apparently in Oromocto, NB the plows have some kind of feature that allows the blade to retain the snow. It seems the operators see a cleared driveway and lock the cleared snow in while they pass, thus leaving the driveway clear.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
I have found a bottle of wine at christmas or at the end of the snow season is a nice way of saying thank you too.
We bought a crate of beer for our neighbour who did it all season for us the first year we were here. He still does it now, if the snow falls whilst hubby is in work and he's got his blade out. We all help each other out.

Try breaking down in the car too - that makes everyone stop to offer assistance. I only did it once a couple of summers ago - but I had 5 people stop to help in 15 minutes before the hubby turned up and sorted the car out. Just lost electrics - then it was back - spooky
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:55 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Isnt that nice

It is.

Once in a while I come home and find a container of homemade muffins or cookies by my door.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
It is.

Once in a while I come home and find a container of homemade muffins or cookies by my door.
you do? have you a stalker?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tuppence
I've had two nice occurences with snow clearing this winter.

A month or so ago, I was shovelling the snowbank (that's what I would call it) as it was a little bit high for me just to blast over with my SUV (hubby wasn't up yet to snowblow). I stood back for a second to let the plow go by as I didn't want to get squished, and he kindly shoved the whole lot into the ditch for me.

And then last night, we came home to find that a mystery neighbour had plowed our driveway. I just feel guilty about not knowing who to thank.
How high is too high??? Say for a Saturn???????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.