Keystone XL

Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Keystone XL

Looks like (according to Auntie Beeb) the pipeline plan has been rejected.

Good thing or Bad thing? Discuss...
Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:58 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keystone XL

Originally Posted by iaink

Until after the election I guess.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Now there's a surprise
Old Jan 18th 2012, 5:25 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly a good day for the Saudis.

The USA consumes 15 million barrels of oil PER DAY. Of this, 11 million are imported. Basically, nearly 75% of value of the USA's oil requirements are paid out to foreign countries every day, at prices which are only going one way.

I'm not an apologist for Keystone - I know nothing about the real details of it - but it is going to allow the USA to import almost 1 million bpd... that's nearly 7% of its daily requirement... from a source that doesn't need expensive military 'persuasion'.

I honestly think most North Americans really believe that there is such a thing as 'clean, wholesome oil'.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 5:43 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I honestly think most North Americans really believe that there is such a thing as 'clean, wholesome oil'.
and they'd make it out of corn if they could.....
Old Jan 18th 2012, 5:46 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think the blocking of the pipe is a bad idea

My rational is that a pipe is going to be much more environmental friendly in the long run than tankers by sea or by land.
And at the present rate of consumption we are going to consume that fuel regardless of where it comes from..

I think it reeks of NIMBY ism
Old Jan 18th 2012, 5:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I think the blocking of the pipe is a bad idea

My rational is that a pipe is going to be much more environmental friendly in the long run than tankers by sea or by land.
And at the present rate of consumption we are going to consume that fuel regardless of where it comes from..

I think it reeks of NIMBY ism
My understanding is that its not really the pipeline itself that is of major environmental concern (although a spill would be bad), its the amount of energy and greenhouse gas emmisions it takes to generate the oilsands oil within it...
Old Jan 18th 2012, 5:58 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Wait until the Gulf entrance is shut by the Iranians, I suspect they will change their minds, it is not very forward thinking. Does anyone know what the oil and gas reserves off australia north coast amount too? I suspose that will take a while to answer without wikipedia. The US is getting very cosy with that lot. fletch.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 6:07 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that its not really the pipeline itself that is of major environmental concern (although a spill would be bad), its the amount of energy and greenhouse gas emmisions it takes to generate the oilsands oil within it...
Utter small-brained hypocrisy from the Land of the Hummer and the Escalade and the 5,000ft2 McMansion.

Originally Posted by fletcher m
Wait until the Gulf entrance is shut by the Iranians, I suspect they will change their minds, it is not very forward thinking. Does anyone know what the oil and gas reserves off australia north coast amount too? I suspose that will take a while to answer without wikipedia. The US is getting very cosy with that lot. fletch.
The Chinese have got much of Australian production nicely sewn up thank you very much.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 6:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

W I suspose that will take a while to answer without wikipedia.
Wikipedea still works fine for me, I just click on googles "cached" page and its all there
Old Jan 18th 2012, 6:29 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
... from a source that doesn't need expensive military 'persuasion'.
I read somewhere that if you factor in the cost of the US presence in the middle east then the real cost per barrel of oil is around $400/$500. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but it seems credible to me.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 6:30 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Not much oil, loads of Gas though. Still can't get Wiki

How about this, pump all the gas and oil we can get, burn it and increase the global temp by 10 degrees, result - sea level 60 meters higher, Canada much warmer, much of the worlds war mongers under water and canada will still have more than enough land. Ridiculous I know, but we could see this in 50 years time! Anyone looking for a reason to move to Canada from UK? You could have a worse reason than this. fletch.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 6:43 pm
Part Time Poster

for me that is a point worth considering , but to counter that not building the pipe won't stop production, and if the pipe was built then the investment in some of the newer cleaner more efficient technology would likely follow
Old Jan 18th 2012, 6:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Not much oil, loads of Gas though. Still can't get Wiki

How about this, pump all the gas and oil we can get, burn it and increase the global temp by 10 degrees, result - sea level 60 meters higher, Canada much warmer, much of the worlds war mongers under water and canada will still have more than enough land. Ridiculous I know, but we could see this in 50 years time! Anyone looking for a reason to move to Canada from UK? You could have a worse reason than this. fletch.
Its not like global warming will produce a "biblical" type flood to cleanse us of the "evil doers", they will have plenty of time to try and crowd into the available dry land, and monger war in the process.

All thats going to happen is that many people will starve, conflicts over water rights will erupt, wars will start, the US will invade Canada due to the fresh water lakes, and I may end up with waterfront property. Oh, and it will suck to be a polar bear.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 7:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The yanks are just playing political ping pong with this one. The way they conduct their legislation is combine all kinds of disparate and somewhat unrelated policy initiatives into a single package. That way if you want your thing passed, you got to vote for mine. Its also why their presidents when in power, clamour for a line-veto, which they'll never get. This is more of the same bollox, "you want the pipeline then support my tax cuts." It'll blow over when they move onto a more emotive issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.