Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Jian Gomeshi axed from CBC - suing for $50k

Jian Gomeshi axed from CBC - suing for $50k

Old Nov 28th 2014, 12:03 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jian Gomeshi axed from CBC - suing for $50k

Share a birthday with him. Luckily I'm quite a bit younger and not a sexual predator.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 2:27 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Share a birthday with him. Luckily I'm quite a bit younger and not a sexual predator.
Could you prove it if CBC did a preemptive bit of "investigative journalism" though?

Actually I've always thought you're a bit creepy.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 3:29 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'll most likely be doing similarly but if not, watching Netflix. It does seem more and more that Ghomeshi is in deep doo-doo, but WTF is the CBC doing airing "investigative journalism" on their former employee when it's all sub-judice?

Doesn't anybody care about the children?
I agree.

It should be left alone till the trial. Especially as they were his employer. All this talk of the radio show being a culture of fear. Surely there is some blame on CBC on certain aspects.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 6:33 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JamesM
I agree.

It should be left alone till the trial. Especially as they were his employer. All this talk of the radio show being a culture of fear. Surely there is some blame on CBC on certain aspects.

The former executive producer of the show must have known what was going on. He has now moved on to another show with the same job title.

I'm a long time listener of the CBC. Everytime I switched on the CBC and Q was on I changed the station. I just didn't like the intonations of his voice.

Last edited by jandro; Nov 28th 2014 at 6:36 am.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 8:51 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I agree.
It should be left alone till the trial. Especially as they were his employer.
Nah, they're still in the news business and this is in the news. As long as they don't divulge anything that hasn't been published yet and follow legal guidelines it's solid gold. Because they were his employers the other networks aren't going to touch it so it's the equivalent of being handed an exclusive front page story. CBC has more lawyers than they need to keep from compromising the court case or risking comtempt charges and they have the prime time program to air the story while it's still on top of the news. Tonight the wars in the Middle East and Ukraine take a back seat to W5 in Canada - it should sweep the ratings; ka-ching!
The more lurid the story the more people will watch.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 10:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro

I'm a long time listener of the CBC. Everytime I switched on the CBC and Q was on I changed the station. I just didn't like the intonations of his voice.
I feel the same way about Stuart Maclean (sp?).
Old Nov 28th 2014, 10:17 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by caretaker
Nah, they're still in the news business and this is in the news. As long as they don't divulge anything that hasn't been published yet and follow legal guidelines it's solid gold. Because they were his employers the other networks aren't going to touch it so it's the equivalent of being handed an exclusive front page story. CBC has more lawyers than they need to keep from compromising the court case or risking comtempt charges and they have the prime time program to air the story while it's still on top of the news. Tonight the wars in the Middle East and Ukraine take a back seat to W5 in Canada - it should sweep the ratings; ka-ching!
The more lurid the story the more people will watch.
You miss the point. They (the CBC) are to my mind slinging dirt at a defendant in an upcoming trial, in which they are involved.

I don't know if this will ever come before a jury, but.....
Old Nov 29th 2014, 2:42 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You miss the point. They (the CBC) are to my mind slinging dirt at a defendant in an upcoming trial, in which they are involved.
I don't know if this will ever come before a jury, but.....
I'm not missing any point and you're making assumptions about what they're going to air while I'm watching it and you're watching netflix. The CBC has the right to tell it's side of the story, legally as explained in my post above. The show is about him at CBC, his career and his subsequent dismissal. What the CBC knew and when is central to his dismissal and the short-lived law suit, not his criminal charges.
If you did happen to watch the show (Fifth Estate not W5 [sorry]) then we can compare notes tomorrow..
Old Dec 8th 2014, 9:01 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. This is a real celebrity in the Radio world!

Radio DJ Neil Fox re-arrested over alleged sexual assaults | UK news | The Guardian