Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Jian Ghomeshi's comment

Jian Ghomeshi's comment

Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:34 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jian Ghomeshi's comment

I accidentally caught a few minutes of the Sochi opening thingy on Friday. Ghomeshi was one of the CBC crew covering it. Anyone else notice his not very subtle comment? It was a gem.

Here's a little poser for a Tuesday morning.

The CBC's main hosts in Russia are Peter Mansbridge, Ian Hanomansing, Ron MacLean and Jian Ghomeshi.

Apart from what is stated above, what have those four got in common?
Old Feb 11th 2014, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jian Ghomeshi's comment

Originally Posted by Souvy
I accidentally caught a few minutes of the Sochi opening thingy on Friday. Ghomeshi was one of the CBC crew covering it. Anyone else notice his not very subtle comment? It was a gem.

The CBC's main hosts in Russia are Peter Mansbridge, Ian Hanomansing, Ron MacLean and Jian Ghomeshi.

All born outside Canada....in other words as Canadian as Lowell Green (Ottawa radio blowhard)
Old Feb 11th 2014, 12:58 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
All born outside Canada....in other words as Canadian as Lowell Green (Ottawa radio blowhard)
Got it in one. I was quite surprised about Mansbridge and MacLean (even though both were born Canadian - military brats).
Old Feb 11th 2014, 1:06 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

For someone who has admitted that his parents are immigrants to this country, I have never seen or heard a more racist / xenophobic person in my life....may be I have actually. It's that whole BS about how those that came way back, are somehow superior to those that arrived 20, 10, 5 etc years ago

If this geezer was on the radio in the UK, he would have been fired long time ago. The whole "shock jock" thing is just to get ratings and to provide the like minded Oiks with a platform to spout their crap

Last edited by ultrarunner; Feb 11th 2014 at 1:09 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 1:54 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

What was the comment then?
Old Feb 11th 2014, 2:15 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by orly
What was the comment then?
It was in reference to the Russian Police Choir doing a cover version of Daft Punk during the opening.

Ghomeshi commented that it he thought it was "a bit gay". Dead subtle, that.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 2:22 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

It was in reference to the Russian Police Choir doing a cover version of Daft Punk during the opening.

Awwww...have a "gay day" now
Old Feb 11th 2014, 2:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

All men too....
Old Feb 11th 2014, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when i lived in the UK Radio 1s Chris Moyles said exactly the same comment about something, and got a real hauling over the coals for it!

As for the Russian choirs treament of the daft punks tune.....i really liked it, and im certainly not gay! Very suprised Ghomeshi would come out with a comment like that....strange...
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:09 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I remember when i lived in the UK Radio 1s Chris Moyles said exactly the same comment about something, and got a real hauling over the coals for it!

As for the Russian choirs treament of the daft punks tune.....i really liked it, and im certainly not gay! Very suprised Ghomeshi would come out with a comment like that....strange...
Er, I think Ghomeshi was talking the piss out of Russia anti-gay laws, via it's police force.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd

It's a grammy winner song too, so can see why they went there. Why were you "suprised" Ghomeshi will say something like that...are you of the mind that only certain types of people do / say certain things then?

I guess tis another example of never judge a book by it's cover, or stereotype people. I always think I'll make a good CBSA / Cop...cos I'll just see everybody as the same and treat them the same whilst on the judge regardless of gender, race etc

None of that...oh look it's a good looking person so they can't be evil, or look it's a person with their trousers hanging down, so they have to be a criminal.

Everyone gets the same treatment regardless...I guess am just an a$$ like that...self awareness innit? No delusional traits here
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Er, I think Ghomeshi was talking the piss out of Russia anti-gay laws, via it's police force.
True! wasn't thinking if that....I was a little slow there! lol!
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:18 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Wondering where the outrage is. Or is he using "a bit gay" in some sort of "acceptable" manner?
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
It's a grammy winner song too, so can see why they went there. Why were you "suprised" Ghomeshi will say something like that...are you of the mind that only certain types of people do / say certain things then?

I guess tis another example of never judge a book by it's cover, or stereotype people. I always think I'll make a good CBSA / Cop...cos I'll just see everybody as the same and treat them the same whilst on the judge regardless of gender, race etc

None of that...oh look it's a good looking person so they can't be evil, or look it's a person with their trousers hanging down, so they have to be a criminal.

Everyone gets the same treatment regardless...I guess am just an a$$ like that...self awareness innit? No delusional traits here
No, what made me say that, was because I was comparing it to the occasion when Radio 1s Chris Moyles made exactly the same comment about something on air. Ghomeshi and Moyles are polar opposites, Ghomeshi is a well read and educated individual, whereas Moyles is just an uneducated loud mouth oaf who likes to use the shock value for cheap laughs. That's really what I was getting at....more of a comparison between two very different people using the same comment.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:24 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Wondering where the outrage is. Or is he using "a bit gay" in some sort of "acceptable" manner?
I think the "acceptable" manner is called irony.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.