Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

It's a-snowing in Ottineau

It's a-snowing in Ottineau

Old Nov 28th 2013, 6:59 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's a-snowing in Ottineau

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Even better...Buy a house with double car garage (and use it for just that as opposed to an extension of clutter from indoors) or a Condo with underground parking....case closed

I hate clutter, I really hate it I do...huge red flag :-)
We were reasonably fortunate when we moved this summer to get an underground spot. About half are outside and half are underground.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 8:04 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
I have a house with an oversized double car garage and no clutter but cars and snow blower in but unfortunately they haven't invented the flying car yet and so I have to clear the drive in order to get out on the road. 25cm of wet snow on an almost 100ft drive downhill is something my crappy US built van can't deal with

Could cover it with a humongous car port though

Happy Anniversary Souvy!
You get what you pay for with US vans unfortunately.....

How is Almonte these days.? It is sort of how there, and visited quite a bit in the summer at friends house for BBQs, as well as Perth

Last edited by ultrarunner; Nov 28th 2013 at 8:34 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 8:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

How is Almonte these days.? It is sort of how there, and visited quite a bit in the summer at friends out for BBQs, same goes for Perth
Do your "friends" know you visit while they're out for BBQs?
Old Nov 28th 2013, 8:45 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Do your "friends" know you visit while they're out for BBQs?
I guess you take an invite when you can get one.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

How is Almonte these days.? It is sort of how there, and visited quite a bit in the summer at friends house for BBQs, as well as Perth
Ah well it drives that's the main thing and I can fit my bunch of kids and dog in.
TBH the only solution to avoid the snow blowing would be a tractor or the humongous car port I'd prefer the tractor

Almonte is nice (the little friendly town ) but we're out on the way to Pakenham. So Carleton Place shopping is as near as the Almonte one. I like Perth but too far for OH to commute.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 2:21 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Ah well it drives that's the main thing and I can fit my bunch of kids and dog in.
TBH the only solution to avoid the snow blowing would be a tractor or the humongous car port I'd prefer the tractor

Almonte is nice (the little friendly town ) but we're out on the way to Pakenham. So Carleton Place shopping is as near as the Almonte one. I like Perth but too far for OH to commute.
Wow...you are country

Carleton Place pretty much shuts down after 6pm, and the Timmies there on the strip becomes a hangout for folks in their trucks and teens
Old Nov 29th 2013, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Wow...you are country

Carleton Place pretty much shuts down after 6pm, and the Timmies there on the strip becomes a hangout for folks in their trucks and teens
I'm no teen and ain't got a truck. We live between woods and cow fields. Have to drive through woods to get to the house. Have a luge off the deck and a tobogganing hill (and soon skating rink) in the back garden. It's great I love it and if there is a next house then it'll be on more acreage and more remote.
We shop before the stores close and if we want Costco we have to drive 35mins to Kanata. All good!!

Back to the snow thread
Old Nov 29th 2013, 11:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the snow thread
Light dusting here, less than an inch, just enough to make everything look scenic. We passed a couple of deer this morning, red sky, deer, blanket of snow; like a Christmas card.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That's just to fuel the justifcation for Muskrat Falls (like the climate change tv ads) likely than any real problem? Although the power outage last winter in the middle of a snowstorm when Holyrood went tits up was a bit of an inconvenience to be sure.

We probably should have a generator, given that we are on well water & that the hot water radiation only needs power to the furnace and pump to heat the house. But in 8 years we've never had an outage longer than 12 hrs so it's not felt like an investment we needed to make. I'm sure that if the power does go out for an extended period in the winter, we'll be reconsidering!
Maybe something in it Ax - 1st mini storm of the year last night knocked the power out in our subdivision for 6 hours
Old Dec 16th 2013, 3:41 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

We had 15cm over the weekend. No big deal. Easy to shovel.

It is now sunny and frikkin' cold. Not sure about the -30 windchill, though. There isn't any wind
Old Dec 16th 2013, 3:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
We had 15cm over the weekend. No big deal. Easy to shovel.

It is now sunny and frikkin' cold. Not sure about the -30 windchill, though. There isn't any wind
We had enough snow to make driving by braille necessary. The attached is a colour picture though one might not guess.
Attached Thumbnails It's a-snowing in Ottineau-img_1053.jpg  
Old Dec 16th 2013, 4:16 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
We had enough snow to make driving by braille necessary. The attached is a colour picture though one might not guess.
We were down your way on Tuesday and Saturday. We didn't mean to but that's Air Canada for you. They don't seem to like actually operating their flights direct from Ottawa to La Guardia.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 4:23 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I am worried I'm going to drive the kids into a ditch sometime in Janaury or the back of a truck!!!
Old Dec 16th 2013, 4:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I am worried I'm going to drive the kids into a ditch sometime in Janaury or the back of a truck!!!
There was a man in the coffee shop this morning with a picture of his car after he'd gone off the road. We all fear going into the ditch and, each year, we all see cars that have done that. This was different though, due to some freak of speed and angle, the car was across the ditch, front stuck in the earth on one side, back on the other, all four wheels suspended, ladder needed to climb up to get back in when the tow truck came.