Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

It's a-snowing in Ottineau

It's a-snowing in Ottineau

Old Nov 28th 2013, 12:39 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's a-snowing in Ottineau

Originally Posted by dbd33
-13 on the car thermometer this morning (mind it's a Volkswagen, the electrical bits aren't very trustworthy).
I was awoken at 5am with coffee in bed. I thought that was a nice gesture, given that it's our wedding anniversary today.

Who was I kidding? A quick look out the window revealed that a nice gentleman from the City of Gatineau had come during the night and left us a rather large anniversary present at the bottom of the driveway.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 12:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
A quick look out the window revealed that a nice gentleman from the City of Gatineau had come during the night and left us a rather large anniversary present at the bottom of the driveway.
None of that here yet. The ploughs have been out a couple of times but there hasn't been enough snow to make a windrow. What there has been is wind, ferocious wind, we'd put up a snow fence to try to avoid drifts in driveway but the posts snapped off at ground level.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 1:15 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
amount of snow and irrelevant didn't come to mind when I saw the white mass that covered my drive.
you need a "car port"
Old Nov 28th 2013, 1:15 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

None of that here yet. The ploughs have been out a couple of times but there hasn't been enough snow to make a windrow. What there has been is wind, ferocious wind, we'd put up a snow fence to try to avoid drifts in driveway but the posts snapped off at ground level.
We get it all the time. Roads are ploughed in order or priority. We live on a small crescent, off a small crescent, off a dead-end in a residential neighbourhood. We are not exactly at the top of the list and the plough usually comes round in the dead of night.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 3:17 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
you need a "car port"
Even better...Buy a house with double car garage (and use it for just that as opposed to an extension of clutter from indoors) or a Condo with underground parking....case closed

I hate clutter, I really hate it I do...huge red flag :-)
Old Nov 28th 2013, 3:20 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

We get it all the time. Roads are ploughed in order or priority. We live on a small crescent, off a small crescent, off a dead-end in a residential neighbourhood. We are not exactly at the top of the list and the plough usually comes round in the dead of night.
When I lived in Aylmer that was the case, and then later on across the bridge in my other neighbourhood
Old Nov 28th 2013, 3:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I was awoken at 5am with coffee in bed. I thought that was a nice gesture, given that it's our wedding anniversary today.

Who was I kidding? A quick look out the window revealed that a nice gentleman from the City of Gatineau had come during the night and left us a rather large anniversary present at the bottom of the driveway.
Happy Anniversary!

Old Nov 28th 2013, 3:35 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Happy Anniversary!

It's the 5th. The traditional present is wood. I have a 2x4 somewhere and I can probably find a bow.

I'm sure she will be touched.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure this will come as a great surprise to everyone but it's been snowing for a couple of weeks here in Winterpeg..
Have to say I am impressed by how efficient the snowploughs have been so far - I guess they have had loads of practice though.
And renting a townhouse in a condominium has had the great benefit of someone coming round and regularly clearing all the paths and driveways (including our front porch!)for us. A good choice made by accident rather than design!
Old Nov 28th 2013, 4:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
I'm sure this will come as a great surprise to everyone but it's been snowing for a couple of weeks here in Winterpeg..
Have to say I am impressed by how efficient the snowploughs have been so far - I guess they have had loads of practice though.
And renting a townhouse in a condominium has had the great benefit of someone coming round and regularly clearing all the paths and driveways (including our front porch!)for us. A good choice made by accident rather than design!
That is indeed a no-brainer and a x10 goof choice if you reside in the PEG

How are those Jets doing by the way, or should I not go there?
Old Nov 28th 2013, 4:19 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

It's the 5th. The traditional present is wood. I have a 2x4 somewhere and I can probably find a bow.

I'm sure she will be touched.
No doubt the wood you offer her will be gratefully received, and you too will be touched

Happy anniversary Souvy.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 4:51 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by R I C H
No doubt the wood you offer her will be gratefully received, and you too will be touched

Happy anniversary Souvy.
A somewhat inevitable comment

It's actually been 15 years as a couple. It took us ten years to get round to the marriage bit.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner

How are those Jets doing by the way, or should I not go there?

Actually haven't actually been brainwashed into worshipping all things hockey as yet, but i'm sure that will come in due course and at that point I will care..
Old Nov 28th 2013, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Even better...Buy a house with double car garage (and use it for just that as opposed to an extension of clutter from indoors) or a Condo with underground parking....case closed

I hate clutter, I really hate it I do...huge red flag :-)
I have a house with an oversized double car garage and no clutter but cars and snow blower in but unfortunately they haven't invented the flying car yet and so I have to clear the drive in order to get out on the road. 25cm of wet snow on an almost 100ft drive downhill is something my crappy US built van can't deal with

Could cover it with a humongous car port though

Happy Anniversary Souvy!
Old Nov 28th 2013, 6:57 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

-13 on the car thermometer this morning (mind it's a Volkswagen, the electrical bits aren't very trustworthy).
-7 on ours. Japanese electrics presumably being a Toyota...then again it might just be Cambridge, ON electrics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.