Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

It's a-snowing in Ottineau

It's a-snowing in Ottineau

Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:16 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's a-snowing in Ottineau

It 'should' be a-snowing here in Fredericton, and like Bats, we were mobilised and ready for action....but instead it's 12!!! Degrees and we are due 100mm of rain and 80 mile an hour wind gusts....I wish I had bought a canoe instead on my jolly electric shovel. It doesnt look at all pleasant in Ontario, my warmest hugs to you all out there
Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:17 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the Hugs Millie
Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:20 pm
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Thanks for the Hugs Millie
You are welcome sweetie!

I forgot to mention...it only rained, but it was still deemed a 'snow' day, so no school
Old Nov 27th 2013, 10:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose this would be a bad moment to remark that it is a-snowing not in Richmond Hill?

Souvy: my people will be in touch with your people on the copyright issue.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 11:07 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I suppose this would be a bad moment to remark that it is a-snowing not in Richmond Hill?

Souvy: my people will be in touch with your people on the copyright issue.
I do believe, and not erroneously, that your phrase was "it is not a-snowing..." Souvy used a contraction and so his phrase is completely different..
Old Nov 27th 2013, 11:11 pm
BE user by choice

[QUOTE=Novocastrian;11011144]I suppose this would be a bad moment to remark that it is a-snowing not in Richmond Hill?

Souvy: my people will be in touch with your people on the copyright issue.[/

Richmond Hill sounds like a bloody magical spot, can't help just-a-saying!
Old Nov 27th 2013, 11:55 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I do believe, and not erroneously, that your phrase was "it is not a-snowing..." Souvy used a contraction and so his phrase is completely different..
I think Madame Counsel that you should commission one or more of your legal clerks to check the records.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 12:01 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think Madame Counsel that you should commission one or more of your legal clerks to check the records.
I think you will find that i am correct.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 12:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
We have to get the generator and the gen link next year. It's bloody expensive. We were thinking of just running a cable to hook the appliances up but realised that the furnace wouldn't be working. So we'll have to fork out the $1300 to get it fixed next year. Still better than a generator that switches on automatically $6000+
At that price, $6000, you could look at running a propane generator instead of using Ontario Hydro. We're tempted by that idea.

Our logic for spending the money on the hook up and all is that the power usually goes out for a week each winter, three days here, four days there. Long enough that the value of the frozen food lost each year is greater than the cost of the generator and gubbins. We also lose power once a week for shorter periods but can live with that.

Last edited by dbd33; Nov 28th 2013 at 1:00 am.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
At that price, $6000, you could look at running a propane generator instead of using Ontario Hydro. We're tempted by that idea.

Our logic for spending the money on the hook up and all is that the power usually goes out for a week each winter, three days here, four days there. Long enough that the value of the frozen food lost each year is greater than the cost of the generator and gubbins. We also lose power once a week for shorter periods but can live with that.
$6000 would be a propane self starting etc super generator, like a pool box, and we thought about it. We lose power for shorter periods here and there. Longest was 6h so far. And then the odd longer period. We figured though that the generator linked to the Hydro is our best option in the moment. Still bloody expensive. We don't have a wood burning fire place. Biggest mistake when we build. We never used it in the townhouse now out here it would be fab. So when Hydro goes, the house gets cold and in spring the sump pump won't work, that what we mainly need it for.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 2:54 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I find that quite amusing seeing as how Orly has been here for only a couple of years and lives nowhere near Ottineau - yet you berate another poster for being a 'newb' and therefore obviously (in your opinion) can't have any idea what is the 'norm' when they have lived there for 9 years, because they disagree with you.

Yawn.
To be fair the flow of the conversation went like this:
"Really....it's snowing in Ottawa/Gatineau? You don't don't see that this time of the year"
"At this time of year, no, you generally don't."
"Snow is fairly common in November surely."

And...it is fairly common if you look at the weather records. Snow in November is to expected in fact. Just like torrential thunderstorms in August.

If people are arguing over the amount of said snow then they're running a sideshow as it's pretty irrelevant.

I contend that, as usual, I'm accurate
Old Nov 28th 2013, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
To be fair the flow of the conversation went like this:
"Really....it's snowing in Ottawa/Gatineau? You don't don't see that this time of the year"
"At this time of year, no, you generally don't."
"Snow is fairly common in November surely."

And...it is fairly common if you look at the weather records. Snow in November is to expected in fact. Just like torrential thunderstorms in August.

If people are arguing over the amount of said snow then they're running a sideshow as it's pretty irrelevant.

I contend that, as usual, I'm accurate
amount of snow and irrelevant didn't come to mind when I saw the white mass that covered my drive.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

ging will become famous soon enoughging will become famous soon enough

Hardly the November norm here in Edmonton, either. In the past 10 days we've had 50cm, that's 50% of our usual winter's worth. Now there's another major storm with blizzard conditions forecast for Sunday night. Good here, innit?

But stiff upper lip and all that. Funny how we Brits, when we go back to the UK, brag up the cold and snow here, and laugh about how an inch of snow over there brings the country to a standstill.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 12:04 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Forecast high of +10C here today in St John's.

(Blowing a hoolie though)
Old Nov 28th 2013, 12:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Forecast high of +10C here today in St John's.

(Blowing a hoolie though)
-13 on the car thermometer this morning (mind it's a Volkswagen, the electrical bits aren't very trustworthy).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.