Iron Maiden Swindle

Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Iron Maiden Swindle

When it was announced that Iron Maiden were going to play in Regina, my older son went on line and joined the Iron Maiden fan club so he could buy tickets early. I think it cost him 20 pounds (my pound sign won't work).

When the tickets went on sale for fan club members he bought 16 tickets. I think he said he had to log in several times because you could only buy 4 at a time. He didn't buy the tickets to sell, he bought them for all his friends.

Then when the tickets came, he only got eight tickets. So he looked at his bank account, only to discover that several days after they took the money out of his account, they credited some money back.

He said that even if he had checked his account right away, he wouldn't have known, because they didn't credit the money back until after the tickets went on sale to the general public. If he had known right away, he could have bought some when they went on sale to the public, or some of his friends that wanted tickets could have bought their own.

He says there isn't any point in trying to complain, because it says something about having the right to refuse multiple ticket purchases by the same person, so even though he only wanted 16, they can say it was a multiple ticket purchase. I said I thought that was to prevent people buying 100 tickets and selling them!

As you can imagine, he isn't too pleased about. However, he says that his wife said she doesn't mind if she doesn't go - so I guess none of the wives will go to the concert! Of course, you can go on eBay and buy tickets at an exorbitant price - so how did those people get all the tickets they are selling?

It seems like a real swindle to me.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iron Maiden Swindle

Seems like he was lucky to get 8 as it clearly said multiple purchases were prohibited...

If his Buddies were such Maiden fans, why arent they in the fan club too buying 4 each?

I agree that it should have been clear immediately what he was actually going to get, but I can understand why the ticket sales are managed in this way too. As for where touts get there tickets from...its one of the worlds great remaining mysteries.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:42 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
When it was announced that Iron Maiden were going to play in Regina, my older son went on line and joined the Iron Maiden fan club so he could buy tickets early. I think it cost him 20 pounds (my pound sign won't work).

When the tickets went on sale for fan club members he bought 16 tickets. I think he said he had to log in several times because you could only buy 4 at a time. He didn't buy the tickets to sell, he bought them for all his friends.

Then when the tickets came, he only got eight tickets. So he looked at his bank account, only to discover that several days after they took the money out of his account, they credited some money back.

He said that even if he had checked his account right away, he wouldn't have known, because they didn't credit the money back until after the tickets went on sale to the general public. If he had known right away, he could have bought some when they went on sale to the public, or some of his friends that wanted tickets could have bought their own.

He says there isn't any point in trying to complain, because it says something about having the right to refuse multiple ticket purchases by the same person, so even though he only wanted 16, they can say it was a multiple ticket purchase. I said I thought that was to prevent people buying 100 tickets and selling them!

As you can imagine, he isn't too pleased about. However, he says that his wife said she doesn't mind if she doesn't go - so I guess none of the wives will go to the concert! Of course, you can go on eBay and buy tickets at an exorbitant price - so how did those people get all the tickets they are selling?

It seems like a real swindle to me.
Press 'alt+156' and the £ will appear
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

That used to work for me, but now when I press Alt+ 156 I get ☼!! I use something called Gear Player to play sound files that I transcribe and if I have Gear Player open and press Alt+156 - it deletes the sound file!!

As to Iron Maiden. He didn't get his friends to buy tickets because it did not occur to him that buying tickets for himself and 7 friends and their wives/partners would constitute multiple tickets. I mean to say - two tickets is a multiple. Any normal person would think that "multiple" meant a lot more than tickets for 8 couples. Of course they got his 20 pounds for the membership! If one person/credit card can only buy a maximum of 8 tickets they should say so.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno, for me multiple would mean more than a car load? 8 seems fair, but I totally agree they should state the number up front.

Try alt + 0163 for £

Last edited by iaink; Apr 17th 2008 at 2:28 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:14 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
8 seems fair, but I totally agree they should state the number up front.
It should state the number of the beast.

Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good grief - wait til Biiink sees the size of that picture - she will reduce it pretty darn quickly is my guess!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:32 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief - wait til Biiink sees the size of that picture - she will reduce it pretty darn quickly is my guess!
Don't mess with Eddie - "Up the Irons!"
Old Apr 17th 2008, 4:53 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
I dunno, for me multiple would mean more than a car load? 8 seems fair, but I totally agree they should state the number up front.

Try alt + 0163 for £
Alt+3 works here (on the main keyboard, not the numeric keypad).
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:07 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

The bloke is going to Seattle one night and Vancouver the next night with my son, just to see Maiden. I don't want to know how much the tickets cost. I got the bloke an "Eddie" tattoo for his birthday, it cost a fortune. Don't get the fascination with this band....
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, Iain - 0163 used to work for me too. Now it gives me -- nothing! It has to do with Gear Player I am pretty sure of that.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:29 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bazzz
Alt+3 works here (on the main keyboard, not the numeric keypad).
I think you mean Shift+3. And that's only for UK keyboards – Alt+0163 works everywhere.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:32 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by edsask
I think you mean Shift+3. And that's only for UK keyboards – Alt+0163 works everywhere.
£

I just typed Alt+3. On my MacBook bought in Canada.

€ is Alt+2.

¡Is Alt+1!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Yes, Iain - 0163 used to work for me too. Now it gives me -- nothing! It has to do with Gear Player I am pretty sure of that.
Stange! It certainly seems like your character sets (AKA page maps) have been screwed with somehow.

You can fiddle about under "Region and Languages" in the Control panel I suppose if its a bother.

Is the language still set to English (Canada) or English (US)?
Attached Thumbnails Iron Maiden Swindle-control-panel.jpg