Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

i-pod virgin!!! Questions

i-pod virgin!!! Questions

Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default i-pod virgin!!! Questions

hey guys

Think I must be the last person I know to buy an I-pod, and as a confirmed techno-phobe I have a few questions...

First of all, the volume! It seems to be really quiet. I was in the gym and could still here their radio music over my ipod? Anyone know how to turn it up - it seems to be locked.... Even after playing with it, (I think) i've done something with the lock, however it remains on the quiet side...

A mate said the ear phones that come with it aren't great - anyone suggest better ones? This by itself my improve volume... I have to say, the ear phones don't really fit my ears and fall out easily.

It also seems to have come with some music - is this normal? Bout 10 songs in all already loaded, none of which are my cup of tea... :-)

And finally - can I log on to another mate's i-tunes and down load her music or is it restricted...?

Ok - cheers guys, and sorry to ask, what are probably very basic questions!

Bandit!!!!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:34 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: i-pod virgin!!! Questions

Originally Posted by bandit
hey guys

Think I must be the last person I know to buy an I-pod, and as a confirmed techno-phobe I have a few questions...

First of all, the volume! It seems to be really quiet. I was in the gym and could still here their radio music over my ipod? Anyone know how to turn it up - it seems to be locked.... Even after playing with it, (I think) i've done something with the lock, however it remains on the quiet side...

A mate said the ear phones that come with it aren't great - anyone suggest better ones? This by itself my improve volume... I have to say, the ear phones don't really fit my ears and fall out easily.

It also seems to have come with some music - is this normal? Bout 10 songs in all already loaded, none of which are my cup of tea... :-)

And finally - can I log on to another mate's i-tunes and down load her music or is it restricted...?

Ok - cheers guys, and sorry to ask, what are probably very basic questions!

Bandit!!!!
Hmmm someone elses music? No that is not normal.

No you cannot load someone elses iTunes library onto yours (damn!) Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I have not found a way even for my regular library and not just the downloads.

Under settings, select Volume Limit, you can then select the MAXIMUM volume. If that fails to make it louder then when you log into iTunes next select "restore iPod" and that will take it back to the original settings.

Yes the standard ear phones are useless, I had the ear bud headphones bought for me that are by far the most comfortable type of in-ear headphones I have had. Originally had the Apple ones, but now have SkullCandy ones (not sure if you can get them in the UK though) and they kick butt they are sooooo cool and were on offer for $10! I can't hear ANYTHING else with them in even with my iPod at half volume!

HTH, Tanya
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the reply.

Will call the Apple Store in Kingston about the fact music was already loaded onto the ipod. out of the 8 mg's, I had only 7.4 avail.?

Shame you can't share music, but I guess that is somethin I tunes need to keep on top of.

Will change earphones as soon as I can.

Bx
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Earphones - I have Shure E2C and LOVE them. Had Koss Spark plug before and they are great (and cheap). Have been eyeing up the skullcandy here at various shops and they are way cheap. I am thinking of getting a pair just to have a back-up as I tend to leave ipod+buds at home when taking laptop with me.

Volume - check that you haven't locked your ipod on the sliding lock switch, which should be near where the headphone jack is. If the tab is orange - it's locked. Should be white. Just slide it to it's unlocked position.

If you bought this brand new in a shop there should be no music on it at all.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:48 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bandit
Cheers for the reply.

Will call the Apple Store in Kingston about the fact music was already loaded onto the ipod. out of the 8 mg's, I had only 7.4 avail.?

Shame you can't share music, but I guess that is somethin I tunes need to keep on top of.

Will change earphones as soon as I can.

Bx
Even if there was no "phantom" music on your iPod when you bought it, there would never be the full amount of memory showing due to the fact of the games and other bits and pieces they load on there. My Mini had 3.something available when I first got it even though it was 4gb
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Volume - make sure you haven't got the parental "volume limiting" set to "on".

There is never the full 60gb or whatever, the software needs some of that itself. And also I think the advertised "fits xx number of songs" is using aac not mp3, so you won't get close to that number unless you use that format.

To get your stuff off your iPod onto someone else's computer I've used Senuti (iTunes backwards, geddit?!) with no problems.

Earphones, I just have cheapie marshmallow 20 dollar Phillips ones. I haven't seen your ears, don't know what type would suit you best

Enjoy!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Might be worth noting that Senuti is for a Mac operating system....not PC Windows
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

on itunes music you are restricted to playing the music on 5 sources, computers or ipods. However, you can download music from somewhere like www.legalsounds.com at about $2 an album, import the music into your itunes library and use that music on as many sources as you want.

This website isn't filesharing or illegal, however it is a russian registered site and as such only pay russian royalty rates which are much lower than ours. Another one i used to use was www.allofmp3.com

Hope that helps.

Chris
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

OK - well, called the Apple Store... Basically it turns out that my Itunes library had some demo songs on it, which went over onto my i-pod!

D'oh.....
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

grumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nice

Earphones???? Go Bose - they're the best!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grumpyhaggis
Can recomend the Bose QC2. Pricey but excellent. Also has noise canecelling technology...great for long flights where screaming kids are in evidence! Trust me, if you had been on my last flight from the UK, you would have killed for a pair (the screaming kid comes to mind).
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:38 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Originally Posted by grumpyhaggis
Oooooo yeah, can't wait for the day I can splash out on some Bose headphones, and the Bose docking station