Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Importing goods from overseas

Importing goods from overseas

Old Mar 6th 2017, 3:08 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing goods from overseas

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Ignores my facetious comments...unbelievable

Yes.....the store participates in the scheme, has all the necessary forms and don't charge for sales over £400-they don't suggest that they would retain any portion of the VAT but there again they don't say they won't...I'm none the wiser now- you are trying to put me off aren't you JG?

https://www.parkcameras.com/faq- it is about halfway down- you probably won't read it though because they don't sell shoes
Can I reclaim the VAT?
We do operate the VAT reclaim scheme. However, completed VAT reclaim forms cannot be supplied for goods sent out by mail order. This is UK law but we are able to supply you with a form for purchases made in our branches. We supply this form free of charge for sales over £400. We have to see your passport and proof of address overseas and when you leave the country you need to get the form stamped at the airport and send the stamped form back to us.

This bit?

I'd send an email to their sales team and ask about any VAT retention.

https://www.parkcameras.com/contact-us
Old Mar 6th 2017, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

TiaMaria57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There are only certain stores who participate in the VAT refund scheme...i.e. M&S, Debs. Make sure the store you buy from is in the scheme. You must have your PP with you and the store fills in the paperwork complete with your PP details. You give this form in at the VAT office at the airport. You will have to ask whereabouts that is. The refund will either be sent on to you my mail or electronically.

You will not get the full amount of VAT refunded. Quite honestly if it were me for £800 I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.
Totally agree. We've been through this VAT refund a couple of times and wouldn't bother again. An outside independent company handles the refunds....A Swiss company based in Geneva the last time we did it.....and they keep something like 50% of the VAT refund plus charge a fee so by the time you finish you get pennies back. Not worth the hassle and deffinately a rip off!
Old Mar 6th 2017, 4:14 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I just ask the shop to give me 20% off to cover the VAT. If they don't, they can naff off.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 4:26 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I just ask the shop to give me 20% off to cover the VAT. If they don't, they can naff off.
Should I call them cads if they start getting violent?
Old Mar 6th 2017, 11:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Can I reclaim the VAT?
We do operate the VAT reclaim scheme. However, completed VAT reclaim forms cannot be supplied for goods sent out by mail order. This is UK law but we are able to supply you with a form for purchases made in our branches. We supply this form free of charge for sales over £400. We have to see your passport and proof of address overseas and when you leave the country you need to get the form stamped at the airport and send the stamped form back to us.

This bit?

I'd send an email to their sales team and ask about any VAT retention.

https://www.parkcameras.com/contact-us

I've can't recall sending the forms back to the store. Maybe that's because I usually caught an early flight from Manchester Airport and the VAT office was closed most times. There was a box on the door to leave the forms in.

Stinky...the VAT office is located after you clear security.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:50 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Matron!

I have become an extremely law abiding pup when travelling- any hint of misdemeanours potentially jeopardizes our Nexus status- Snoop would actually kill me
Understandably.

Doesn't anyone sell this thing at Duty Free? Is it possible, legal even, to contact one of the duty free stores and order it in?
Old Mar 6th 2017, 8:09 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Understandably.

Doesn't anyone sell this thing at Duty Free? Is it possible, legal even, to contact one of the duty free stores and order it in?
It is a bit niche - It was hard enough trying to track it down in Canada. I nearly had to order it from New York but a phone call to a camera store in Calgary thankfully came up trumps-despite the website saying that there was a 7-14 business day backlog, a phone call later, they had one in stock and are dispatching it to me hopefully later on today.-I will feedback with regard to arrival times, especially in relation to the online shopping thread. Happy pup!
Old Mar 6th 2017, 10:59 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

It is a bit niche - It was hard enough trying to track it down in Canada. I nearly had to order it from New York but a phone call to a camera store in Calgary thankfully came up trumps-despite the website saying that there was a 7-14 business day backlog, a phone call later, they had one in stock and are dispatching it to me hopefully later on today.-I will feedback with regard to arrival times, especially in relation to the online shopping thread. Happy pup!
Will you roll over and wiggle with happiness?
Old Mar 6th 2017, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Thats an image i didn't need!
Old Mar 6th 2017, 11:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
I didn't need an exploding nose either but you still caused one.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 11:38 pm
I need a walk

Yep - If it gets here before we head off (It was despatched at lunchtime)

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I didn't need an exploding nose either but you still caused one.
Good!
Old Mar 6th 2017, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Love you really!!!

Yep - If it gets here before we head off (It was despatched at lunchtime)

Good!
Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:16 am
limey party pooper

I hope there's a video.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:43 am
I need a walk

I hope there's a video.
Only if the damn thing turns up to set the camera on .. How about Stinky looking vaguely interested but mainly about cheese?
Attached Thumbnails Importing goods from overseas-image.jpeg  
Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:07 pm
limey party pooper

Only if the damn thing turns up to set the camera on .. How about Stinky looking vaguely interested but mainly about cheese?
How can an interest in cheese be only vague? He's plotting something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.