Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Importing goods from overseas

Importing goods from overseas

Old Mar 5th 2017, 7:38 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Importing goods from overseas

We are heading off to Blighty soon and my birthday occurs whilst we are away. I have a tad expensive taste in camera goods and am lusting after a new lightweight tripod. Looking at the potential places to purchase it, there are stores in Canada that I can buy online although I have bought from B&H photographic store in New York in the past online with great service. After taxes, which are applied at source when paying, the costs are about the same buying in Canada versus US.

Having researched, I have worked out the costs in the UK if I bought it in London from a store, I can reclaim the VAT back (not possible with online purchases over there) and then armed with an $800 personal allowance for importing it back would pay the duties and taxes on the residual amount up to the cost of my prezzie above the $800. On paper, it would end up costing a lot less if I bought it in the UK.

The CBSA website is helpful and tells you what you should do and has a duty/tax calculator (I put camera in as it doesn't have a tripod as an option)- it looks simple enough to me
Declare on declaration card, tell CBSA officer, then go pay taxes/duties whilst your luggage comes in.
Snoop worries about delayed flights - if connections are tight (2.5 hours) and the inbound flight is late, does it take long to sort? We fly into Calgary and then onto Kelowna. We have Nexus, do we have to go line up in the normal line if there is only an auto-booth and no CBSA officer dealing with Nexus travellers? What if we have to really leg it to get the connecting flight? If we missed the flight because of delayed flight and then lining up to pay the duty, my life wouldn't be worth living..to say I would be in the doghouse would be a serious understatement

Any helpful comments from FL would be appreciated or indeed anyone else who has done similar, importing anything which needs declaring from outside Canada. Also any feedback in claiming VAT back would be good. Normally UK photographic gear is way more expensive but not in this case so it seems like a no brainer..
Old Mar 5th 2017, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing goods from overseas

Use NEXUS on the way back however more kiosks for all travellers are slowly being installed so there will be more people queuing at kiosks eventually.
Collection of duties and taxes takes minutes not hours.
Connection times you have no control over especially if arriving flight is late.
you cannot combine exemptions so if expensive only 1 will be claiming it.
depending where you pay it will either be PST & GST or the HST combined.
Duty rate will be minimal if not even free.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 8:17 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
We are heading off to Blighty soon and my birthday occurs whilst we are away. I have a tad expensive taste in camera goods and am lusting after a new lightweight tripod. Looking at the potential places to purchase it, there are stores in Canada that I can buy online although I have bought from B&H photographic store in New York in the past online with great service. After taxes, which are applied at source when paying, the costs are about the same buying in Canada versus US.

Having researched, I have worked out the costs in the UK if I bought it in London from a store, I can reclaim the VAT back (not possible with online purchases over there) and then armed with an $800 personal allowance for importing it back would pay the duties and taxes on the residual amount up to the cost of my prezzie above the $800. On paper, it would end up costing a lot less if I bought it in the UK.

The CBSA website is helpful and tells you what you should do and has a duty/tax calculator (I put camera in as it doesn't have a tripod as an option)- it looks simple enough to me
Declare on declaration card, tell CBSA officer, then go pay taxes/duties whilst your luggage comes in.
Snoop worries about delayed flights - if connections are tight (2.5 hours) and the inbound flight is late, does it take long to sort? We fly into Calgary and then onto Kelowna. We have Nexus, do we have to go line up in the normal line if there is only an auto-booth and no CBSA officer dealing with Nexus travellers? What if we have to really leg it to get the connecting flight? If we missed the flight because of delayed flight and then lining up to pay the duty, my life wouldn't be worth living..to say I would be in the doghouse would be a serious understatement

Any helpful comments from FL would be appreciated or indeed anyone else who has done similar, importing anything which needs declaring from outside Canada. Also any feedback in claiming VAT back would be good. Normally UK photographic gear is way more expensive but not in this case so it seems like a no brainer..
Not all stores in the UK participate in the VAT refund scheme. Every time I tried to do it, it was a pain in the arse. You have to carry the product with you and reclaim the VAT at the airport.

http://www.heathrow.com/file_source/...leaflet_EN.pdf

Sill prefer B & H and prepay taxes. So easy now with free shipping to Canada. Wait until they go on sale. Take a look at the Gitzo Carbon Fiber if you like light and the Acratech ball head. Both well made.

Most camera gear is free of duty, just sales taxes.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 8:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There are only certain stores who participate in the VAT refund scheme...i.e. M&S, Debs. Make sure the store you buy from is in the scheme. You must have your PP with you and the store fills in the paperwork complete with your PP details. You give this form in at the VAT office at the airport. You will have to ask whereabouts that is. The refund will either be sent on to you my mail or electronically.

You will not get the full amount of VAT refunded. Quite honestly if it were me for £800 I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 8:46 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Use NEXUS on the way back however more kiosks for all travellers are slowly being installed so there will be more people queuing at kiosks eventually.
Collection of duties and taxes takes minutes not hours.
Connection times you have no control over especially if arriving flight is late.
you cannot combine exemptions so if expensive only 1 will be claiming it.
depending where you pay it will either be PST & GST or the HST combined.
Duty rate will be minimal if not even free.
Thanks for that. Presumably they will maintain manned Nexus kiosks? We have used the auto kiosks and they work well but I assume we have to speak to a CBSA officer if I'm over the limit of $800. Yeah, I knew that you can't combine exemptions.

Originally Posted by Aviator
Not all stores in the UK participate in the VAT refund scheme. Every time I tried to do it, it was a pain in the arse. You have to carry the product with you and reclaim the VAT at the airport.

http://www.heathrow.com/file_source/...leaflet_EN.pdf

Sill prefer B & H and prepay taxes. So easy now with free shipping to Canada. Wait until they go on sale. Take a look at the Gitzo Carbon Fiber if you like light and the Acratech ball head. Both well made.

Most camera gear is free of duty, just sales taxes.
I was looking at Park camera- I have used them before for a lens but bought online- we will be in London and they have them in stock and participate in the scheme- yes, Gitzo CF was indeed my target! I have bought from B&H both in person ( my favourite store visit ever! ) and online and like them a lot.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There are only certain stores who participate in the VAT refund scheme...i.e. M&S, Debs. Make sure the store you buy from is in the scheme. You must have your PP with you and the store fills in the paperwork complete with your PP details. You give this form in at the VAT office at the airport. You will have to ask whereabouts that is. The refund will either be sent on to you my mail or electronically.

You will not get the full amount of VAT refunded. Quite honestly if it were me for £800 I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.
I'm not sure M&S sells tripods - sausage rolls and knickers, yes
I looked at the supplied links- thanks- it doesn't say how much you get back..the shop I would be using don't charge for the service on purchases over a certain amount of spend-does the proportion vary? Jeez , talk about women sticking together..you just give Snoop ammunition- ironic seeing as all women say when buying shoes or bags etc " it was on sale" - when guys look to save money they just get shot down in flames

Having said that, the item cannot be used before return to Canada...we are going to the Lake District- that wouldn't work

Last edited by Stinkypup; Mar 5th 2017 at 8:52 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. Presumably they will maintain manned Nexus kiosks? We have used the auto kiosks and they work well but I assume we have to speak to a CBSA officer if I'm over the limit of $800. Yeah, I knew that you can't combine exemptions.

:
There are normally CBSA officers near the kiosks to help with people who can't figure out how to use them. Some Japanese think they are ATM's.
The kiosk will ask Do you exceed your personal exemption. Just select Yes.
Once the card prints out you will notice a $ sign imprinted on the card.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 9:03 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
There are normally CBSA officers near the kiosks to help with people who can't figure out how to use them. Some Japanese think they are ATM's.
The kiosk will ask Do you exceed your personal exemption. Just select Yes.
Once the card prints out you will notice a $ sign imprinted on the card.
I tried to buy a burger from the first one

So then we can just go to the place to settle up with the amount payable without speaking to anyone?
Old Mar 5th 2017, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was looking at Park camera- I have used them before for a lens but bought online- we will be in London and they have them in stock and participate in the scheme- yes, Gitzo CF was indeed my target! I have bought from B&H both in person ( my favourite store visit ever! ) and online and like them a lot.

I looked at the supplied links- thanks- it doesn't say how much you get back..the shop I would be using don't charge for the service on purchases over a certain amount of spend-does the proportion vary? Jeez , talk about women sticking together..you just give Snoop ammunition- ironic seeing as all women say when buying shoes or bags etc " it was on sale" - when guys look to save money they just get shot down in flames

Having said that, the item cannot be used before return to Canada...we are going to the Lake District- that wouldn't work
I tried to buy a burger from the first one

So then we can just go to the place to settle up with the amount payable without speaking to anyone?
Yup collect the NEXUS ticket then collect bags and show declaration card and NEXUS ticket to officer at the exit who will direct you to the cashier unless you can pay before heading towards the exit.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

First step would be to ask the store if they participate in the VAT refund scheme for overseas visitors. AFAIK only the huge chains do as I think they have to stand the VAT...or part of it. They should know because they will have the forms that have to be filled in by them and given to you with the receipt. If they don't participate...forget it...you won't get the VAT back.

VAT is not calculated on the first £XX...then the store will deduct its fee. Both amounts may differ from company to company if I remember correctly.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:16 pm
I need a walk

First step would be to ask the store if they participate in the VAT refund scheme for overseas visitors. AFAIK only the huge chains do as I think they have to stand the VAT...or part of it. They should know because they will have the forms that have to be filled in by them and given to you with the receipt. If they don't participate...forget it...you won't get the VAT back.

VAT is not calculated on the first £XX...then the store will deduct its fee. Both amounts may differ from company to company if I remember correctly.
Ignores my facetious comments...unbelievable

Yes.....the store participates in the scheme, has all the necessary forms and don't charge for sales over £400-they don't suggest that they would retain any portion of the VAT but there again they don't say they won't...I'm none the wiser now- you are trying to put me off aren't you JG?

https://www.parkcameras.com/faq- it is about halfway down- you probably won't read it though because they don't sell shoes
Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Ignores my facetious comments...unbelievable

Yes.....the store participates in the scheme, has all the necessary forms and don't charge for sales over £400-they don't suggest that they would retain any portion of the VAT but there again they don't say they won't...I'm none the wiser now- you are trying to put me off aren't you JG?

https://www.parkcameras.com/faq- it is about halfway down- you probably won't read it though because they don't sell shoes
Sounds like you are good to go...but check if you would get 20% of the purchase price back. If not...exactly what the refund would be.

You're right I couldn't find it.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:43 pm
I need a walk

Sounds like you are good to go...but check if you would get 20% of the purchase price back. If not...exactly what the refund would be.

You're right I couldn't find it.
I'm still not about whether you can use it or not

I bet you could find it on this web site

Christian Louboutin United Kingdom Online Boutique
Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm still not about whether you can use it or not

I bet you could find it on this web site

Christian Louboutin United Kingdom Online Boutique
As my sig. says...the higher the heels...the closer to God.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 11:40 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Just stuff it down yer trousers, no one will notice.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 11:53 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by bats
Just stuff it down yer trousers, no one will notice.
Matron!

I have become an extremely law abiding pup when travelling- any hint of misdemeanours potentially jeopardizes our Nexus status- Snoop would actually kill me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.