Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

If you don't like it - Don't do it

If you don't like it - Don't do it

Old Feb 25th 2018, 9:02 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you don't like it - Don't do it

Originally Posted by scilly
Plus we didn't have to do any tests or go before a judge to get citizenship.

That's what I meant about how much more difficult it is to immigrate to Canada now compared with then.
Fewer people compared to today were emigrating to another country.

I know Canada needed foreign workers back in the 1960s/70s.

Now with more people flying and travelling around, there is more freedom to move around. However the downside is that its more ‘competitive’ and therefore more need for a clean criminal record, background checks, proof of funds and skilled work experience.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

We had no idea that a narrow white strip of paper should have been stapled into each passport ........ we put it into a safe place, and travelled everywhere with no proof that we really were PRs until we got citizenship in 1974 and our Canadian passports. We didn't have any PR cards.

Plus we didn't have to do any tests or go before a judge to get citizenship.
I moved at age 17 with brother and parents. Father was a prof in the UK and we had come when I was younger (but I don't remember it). We also lived in the US for one sabattical.

When I was about to finish university here I was under some crazy idea that government jobs were the place to be (quickly got that out of my system) and realized that I needed to be a Canadian citizen for some. Since I was over 18 by then I had to sit the citizenship tests etc and go in front of the judge with the rest of the family.

The judge asked my father, 'what was the most recent public holiday in celebration of'? This was asked in Ontario in June and the correct answer would have been 'Queen Victoria's birthday'. My father was stumped and didn't get that answer correct. When the judge told him it was Queen Victoria's birthday, he informed her that wasn't a holiday in the UK. I believe she asked him that question as she believed as a UK citizen he would know of Queen Victoria's birthday.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Kdotdot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Im sure there is probably a Brit who is now living in the Maldives complaining about the lack of cheese and onion crisps.
Yep, that would be me! Although it's Monster Munch I'm really missing . . .
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 1:37 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kdotdot
Strange what we crave. I have started making my own bacon ham etc because i missed the good stuff.

We get american nastiness [chex mix] instead of monster munch, but strangely we get waitrose own brand crisps too...

I bought a proper deep fat fryer which makes beautiful fish [snapper or mahi mahi fillets] and chips [idaho american spuds are lovely.]. Is alcohol purchasing an issue for you there?

Old Jun 2nd 2018, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Kdotdot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
. Is alcohol purchasing an issue for you there?
Uh, technically not an issue at all as it isn't available in the country - neither is pork. Thankfully I work/live on a resort so can go to the hotel bar like any other normal person.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 2:39 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Allah akhbar!

Funny how islam abhores alcohol - unless theres a profit from an infidel involved.

Actually veal and beef bacons ok, as is sailfish bacon, which we get locally.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 5:43 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Allah akhbar!

Funny how islam abhores alcohol - unless theres a profit from an infidel involved.
... lots of parts of the Islamic world are very tolerant to Christians and other faiths.

You can certainly buy bacon, sausages and pork in the UAE, Jordan, Palestine and... Israel...they just don't have signs up advertising the fact. In bigger supermarkets they have Mr.Piggy outlets, but those buying pork are asked to bag it themselves. Nor are these countries dry and have licensed liquor outlets. Morocco and Tunisia make excellent wine.

Islam didn't corner the market in intolerance.

We could do with a bit of the Maldives in Eastern Canada today...the wind is quite brisk! Yes...I moved to Canada...but don't always appreciate the weather
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 2:43 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kdotdot
Oh wow - you are in the Maldives! I first went there around 1979.. at the time there were only 2 islands for tourists - Villingili Island, where we stayed, (and Karumba) - we flew into the airport - one runway, with water either side and at either end - queued up under open sided reed roofed huts and then meandered over to where the boats were to take us to the island.

It was so beautiful there - crystal clear waters, white sand beaches (on one side it was somewhat overgrown with tropical plants and bushes, palms etc)... we spent a few hours in Male one afternoon (arms and head covered - didn't see a single female there), going by speedboat, bouncing over the waves. On Villingili, there were just a few huts for people to sleep in and one main area with a bar and dining area which was open and had hermit crabs everywhere.

All water and food had to be bought in by boat, so supplies were frugal although all drinks - alcoholic or not - cost $1 at the time! I had the most wonderful time there.. very fond memories.

I'm sure things have changed with tourism increasing, but I'm not surprised there's things you miss! I;m most envious of you though, to live in such a beautiful, magical place.

Old Jun 3rd 2018, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by MillieF
... lots of parts of the Islamic world are very tolerant to Christians and other faiths.

You can certainly buy bacon, sausages and pork in the UAE, Jordan, Palestine and... Israel...they just don't have signs up advertising the fact. In bigger supermarkets they have Mr.Piggy outlets, but those buying pork are asked to bag it themselves. Nor are these countries dry and have licensed liquor outlets. Morocco and Tunisia make excellent wine.

Islam didn't corner the market in intolerance.

We could do with a bit of the Maldives in Eastern Canada today...the wind is quite brisk! Yes...I moved to Canada...but don't always appreciate the weather
I agree, most ive met have been tolerant, so long as you dont try to sell another religion.

A lot of arabs certainly enjoy a drink. At oxford, there was a dining club called the gulf, their dinners and subsequent hangovers were legendary, once many years back i recall a group of about 20 ran up an unbelievable bar bill in an evening, settled by a young saudi royal. There was that arabic student found dead with a case of [very good] scotch by his bed.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Sort of like
Me nyem is michael an' ahm from Newcassel will ah hev tuh tek an english test .
Me name is michael and Am from der pewl wul ay 'uv ter take an english test.
Oim michael an' I liv' in Burminum wull I yav ter tek an english test.
Mah nam is michael an' aam frae scootlund will Ah hae tae tak' an sassenach test.
One's name is michael and one is mwah mwah sweetie england will one has to take an english test.
You forgot the Norn Irish guy... My name's Michael and I'm gonna knock yer ballix in.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

To the poster who asked about British whingers in Australia and NZ - we do get them but they tend to be a different variety. We get a lot of people with rose-coloured glasses who cite "lifestyle" and "more time with the kids" as drivers of wanting to move because they think Australians and New Zealanders work less hours than Brits and the weather is always gorgeous. That usually means they are in for an anvil to the face when they arrive and we do try to warn them - but usually get sprayed with hostility for "being negative" in response.

I will usually say something like "more time with the kids? So you're going to work just part-time?" and when the answer is "no of course not, full-time, but the Oz lifestyle means I'll have more time with the kids" that usually is the tip-off that someone has unrealistic expectations and is totally unprepared for migration.

Best post I've seen in two years as an active forum member and about another eight as a lurker before, was in the NZ forum, by someone I can't remember, and some years ago. He told a story about a "Whinging Pom" he worked with who moved to Auckland. He tired of the city rat-race in London and his corporate office job and moved to NZ citing "lifestyle" . . . and then moved to Auckland and took a corporate office job in the Auckland CBD and whinged constantly. Finally someone at the office got tired of it and asked him, if he was tired of the city and an office desk job to the point that he was willing to move halfway around the world . . . why did he do so to then move to another big city and take another office desk job?