Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I love the Olympics because...

I love the Olympics because...

Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:24 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of
Default Re: I love the Olympics because...

well I can't wait to watch the snowboarding half pipe events tonight. ooh ooh not to mention the snowboard parallel giant slalom! sooo exciting!
sadly we record what we want to watch and only get to watch it the next day. oh well, better late than never.

i also love the downhill racing (ski). damn those people are all a bunch of nutters!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:43 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I like the fact that, apart from downtown Vancouver the restaurants and bars are nearly empty.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:29 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

How has the "30% reduction in commuter traffic" been going?
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:44 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oink
I like the fact that, apart from downtown Vancouver the restaurants and bars are nearly empty.
cool, no need for reservations then
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by spankysparkle
well I can't wait to watch the snowboarding half pipe events tonight. ooh ooh not to mention the snowboard parallel giant slalom! sooo exciting!
sadly we record what we want to watch and only get to watch it the next day. oh well, better late than never.

i also love the downhill racing (ski). damn those people are all a bunch of nutters!

Did you see that Shaun White yesterday ? The guy is a star!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

I was laughing my butt off at the curling this morning. What pray tell is that?

It's like "bowls on ice" or something, and it was reminding me of darts for some quirky reason, I dunno why...
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:53 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

Haven't been loving the Olympics much this week as on earlies. But a long weekend coming up in which to commandeer the telly and catch up.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:10 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I

It's like "bowls on ice" or something, and it was reminding me of darts for some quirky reason, I dunno why...
Don't knock it. One of my neighbours makes $100k per annum tax free curling in his spare time.

Actually it's a fun and very sociable way to help adults get out in the winter. Almost every town in Canada has a curling rink with the cities having multi facilities. Members of curling clubs are super friendly people and it's a great way to meet and socialize.
And believe it or not, it requires great skill to do what the Olympic curlers do.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Don't knock it. One of my neighbours makes $100k per annum tax free curling in his spare time.

Actually it's a fun and very sociable way to help adults get out in the winter. Almost every town in Canada has a curling rink with the cities having multi facilities. Members of curling clubs are super friendly people and it's a great way to meet and socialize.
And believe it or not, it requires great skill to do what the Olympic curlers do.

Blimey $100k in his spare time?? Wow.

I'm glad you've educated my philistine self on this sport, it sounds quite cool. I hadn't ever seen it before and after watching dare devil stuff like snowboarding and luge and ski jumping, it just looked odd and I didn't get it.

But I quite like the sound of the "social scene" you've described which surrounds it. I really would like to take up some winter sports when I come over...Do women do it too? (I only saw guys this morning)
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:27 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
Blimey $100k in his spare time?? Wow.

I'm glad you've educated my philistine self on this sport, it sounds quite cool. I hadn't ever seen it before and after watching dare devil stuff like snowboarding and luge and ski jumping it just looked odd. But I quite like the sound of the "social scene" that surrounds it. I really would like to take up some winter sports when I come over...Do women do it too? (I only saw guys this morning)
Yes women do it and there's a women's competition in the Olympics. It has been on TV already and will be again. Very often both partners/spouses are members of the same club and each may play in their own gender group or in doubles and mixed doubles.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes women do it and there's a women's competition in the Olympics. It has been on TV already and will be again. Very often both partners/spouses are members of the same club and each may play in their own gender group or in doubles and mixed doubles.

I'll have to have a gander when the women come back on to play, cheers.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a betting game, like 8 ball?
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's a British (well, Scottish) invention, for starters, and has been around for about 500 years!

We went to see the women's round robin session last night at the Olympic Center and it was a lot of fun! Alas, Team GB went down to Sweden in a close match, but after spanking the Russians 10-3 earlier today they're still 2-1 up so far in the competition.

Curling is also one of the only Winter Olympic sports the Brits have any chance of a medal in (and it's a half-decent chance, too).

Cheers, Iain
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
Well it's a British (well, Scottish) invention, for starters, and has been around for about 500 years!

We went to see the women's round robin session last night at the Olympic Center and it was a lot of fun! Alas, Team GB went down to Sweden in a close match, but after spanking the Russians 10-3 earlier today they're still 2-1 up so far in the competition.

Curling is also one of the only Winter Olympic sports the Brits have any chance of a medal in (and it's a half-decent chance, too).

Cheers, Iain
Ach, awa an bile yer heid.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 5:00 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Ladies Half pipe was fab - did get a bit cold towards the end - but the bus system up and down the mountain worked really well!

However, the vending - bloody rip off and no much choice - hey ho - that's the prob with being a veggie in N america~

Medals ceremony on wed eve and PGS on Friday next week - woo hoo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.